You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker on Tv

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat

I see there was a post about 2 months 2 million, for anyone who hasn't seen it its a poker/reality series involving 4 pro players who go to vegas for 2 months and just grind and put all there total together to try and reach 2 million.  This was brilliant to watch and I wished there was more programmes like this to get poker more in the public eye.

Also see one of the players that was in 2m2m is bringing a poker film out call raise fold call.  Its the story of online poker, I think its a great idea.

Do you think poker will ever get big enough in England so the average person knows phil hellmuth, ivey, dawn etc like they know of gareth bale/ tiger woods and other sport starts...

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Poker on Tv:
    I see there was a post about 2 months 2 million, for anyone who hasn't seen it its a poker/reality series involving 4 pro players who go to vegas for 2 months and just grind and put all there total together to try and reach 2 million.  This was brilliant to watch and I wished there was more programmes like this to get poker more in the public eye. Also see one of the players that was in 2m2m is bringing a poker film out call raise fold call.  Its the story of online poker, I think its a great idea. Do you think poker will ever get big enough in England so the average person knows phil hellmuth, ivey, dawn etc like they know of gareth bale/ tiger woods and other sport starts...
    Posted by robbie1992

No.... never.

I will have to have a look at this series though.  Anyone know where I can watch it?
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah one day poker will be as big as football.

Pigs...

• edited June 2013
    not as big but just the names in poker to be more familiar to people.

I think I watch it all on youtube gaz, you will enjoy.
  • edited June 2013
    Sorry, there's not a chance in a million years that poker players will become household names. The one with the best chance would be Vicky Coren for reasons outside poker.

It's a massive struggle for any new sports (whether you consider poker to be a sport or not) to break into the mainstream UK media - see how big basketball is worldwide and then see how much coverage the NBA finals got here.
  • edited June 2013
    Poker as a sport is misunderstood in many countries. I would include Britain in that. 

Poker has been getting more and more accepted thanks to stuff like tv coverage. Although events such as black friday really don't help. 

I think we need more shows like 2M2MM to really promote the game so people can see poker player are just normal guys and not gambling de-gens
  • edited June 2013
    2M2MM did nothing for poker rep, not like it matters, only people who have a keen interest in poker have seen it or ever will see it

just a bunch of socially inept ******
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker on Tv:
    2M2MM did nothing for poker rep, not like it matters, only people who have a keen interest in poker have seen it or ever will see it just a bunch of socially inept ******
    Posted by percival09
    I was thinking more like general tv coverage rather than 2m2mm - although i think a similar type thing could help promote the game in a positive light.
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah but the idea of making it a reality show means it appeals to a wider audience. If u don't play poker and watch a poker show it must be boring, but this was entertaining even if u don't like poker.

I agree, don't think they done poker players any favours they came across abit arrogant.
  • edited June 2013
    Poker as a sport is misunderstood in many countries. I would include Britain in that.  Poker has been getting more and more accepted thanks to stuff like tv coverage. Although events such as black friday really don't help.  I think we need more shows like 2M2MM to really promote the game so people can see poker player are just normal guys and not gambling de-gens
    Posted by The_Don90
    To be fair, 2M2MM did just show them as being gambling de-gens lol but yeah the more poker on tv, the better.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker on Tv : To be fair, 2M2MM did just show them as being gambling de-gens lol but yeah the more poker on tv, the better.
    Posted by Lambert180

haha true, 

i really do think a reality tv series around some poker players would be good tho. Maybe more level headed people such as tommyd would be better for advertisement. 
  • edited June 2013
    The trouble is getting the public to have some empathy with people who are willing to put what would be a month's salary or more to them on the turn of a card
  • edited June 2013
    The trouble is getting the public to have some empathy with people who are willing to put what would be a month's salary or more to them on the turn of a card
    Posted by FCHD
    Very true, they need to have no respect for money to play they game but most of the public viewers wouldn't realise that and would mistake it for arrogance... By somone who has more money then they deserve.

Needed to be shown that they were all maths wiz kids and properly worked hard on there game for a number of years