You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DTD1

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Is my 3bet size too small?

How do we play it postflop, feel like I gotta c-bet but don't love it, but hate c/c and obv hate c/f.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   400.00 400.00 14845.00
oscarpet Big blind   800.00 1200.00 8620.00
  Your hole cards

_kagawa_ Fold        
FlyingDagg Fold        
subpar Call   800.00 2000.00 13955.00
avggolfer Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   1400.00 3400.00 13445.00
oscarpet Fold        
subpar Call   1000.00 4400.00 12955.00
Flop

• K

Lambert180 Bet   1955.00 6355.00 11490.00
subpar All-in   12955.00 19310.00 0.00
Lambert180 Fold        
subpar Muck        
subpar Win   8310.00   8310.00
subpar Return   11000.00 0.00 19310.00

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to DTD1:
    Is my 3bet size too small? How do we play it postflop, feel like I gotta c-bet but don't love it, but hate c/c and obv hate c/f. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Lambert180 Small blind   400.00 400.00 14845.00 oscarpet Big blind   800.00 1200.00 8620.00   Your hole cards 9 9       _kagawa_ Fold         FlyingDagg Fold         subpar Call   800.00 2000.00 13955.00 avggolfer Fold         Lambert180 Raise   1400.00 3400.00 13445.00 oscarpet Fold         subpar Call   1000.00 4400.00 12955.00 Flop     10 K 2       Lambert180 Bet   1955.00 6355.00 11490.00 subpar All-in   12955.00 19310.00 0.00 Lambert180 Fold         subpar Muck         subpar Win   8310.00   8310.00 subpar Return   11000.00 0.00 19310.00
    Posted by Lambert180
    Probably go a bit bigger pre (2200). Flop fine. 
  • edited June 2013
    Move in pre?

Don't really have a stack to be playing streets, and how often do people limp fold to a smallish 3bet? Always gonna be tricky playing 99 post flop oop with those stack sizes, unless we flop the set.
  • edited June 2013
    Meh, did think about the ship pre, but just thought it was too big with nearly 20xBB just over a limp, especially on Sky and without antes.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: DTD1:
    Move in pre? Don't really have a stack to be playing streets, and how often do people limp fold to a smallish 3bet? Always gonna be tricky playing 99 post flop oop with those stack sizes, unless we flop the set.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I'm not going to type out that alias all the time. From now on, I'm referring to you as Harry. Okay?
  • edited June 2013
    You haven't 3-bet here, you've isolated a limper by making a raise that's barely bigger than the minimum, from the small blind. None of that sounds like a good idea.

I don't mind shoving our 18BB stack with 2.5BB in the middle, as Harry suggests. Does a 13.5% increase to our stack merit a shove? If we raise to 3k, are we ever going to be shipped on by worse hands? To be fair, which better hands are limping here? Sometimes he has AA or KK, most of the time he doesn't. When we're called, we're probably flipping. I suppose we might even be called by 88 or lower.

If we raise to 3k (or 1.8k as we actually did) we can never c-bet this flop if we're called. I don't think we're getting folds from better hands or getting called by worse on this flop. If we bet, I think we're just trying to avoid being bluffed by lower pocket pairs but most of the hands in our opponent's range are going to be beating us on this board, or have huge equity. Betting this flop seems like a mistake.
  • edited June 2013
    I think OOP and only the BB to act behind, I bet all my chips pre
  • edited June 2013
    I think the 1400 is a bit low,In pos id re pop to 2.400 and hope he folds pre but I do think with your stack if he calls the 2.400 then your nearly commited to call down.Probably best thing is jam pre but with 19bbs its a tough decision imo.
  • edited June 2013
    You haven't 3-bet here, you've isolated a limper by making a raise that's barely bigger than the minimum, from the small blind. None of that sounds like a good idea. I don't mind shoving our 18BB stack with 2.5BB in the middle, as Harry suggests. Does a 13.5% increase to our stack merit a shove? If we raise to 3k, are we ever going to be shipped on by worse hands? To be fair, which better hands are limping here? Sometimes he has AA or KK, most of the time he doesn't. When we're called, we're probably flipping. I suppose we might even be called by 88 or lower. If we raise to 3k (or 1.8k as we actually did) we can never c-bet this flop if we're called. I don't think we're getting folds from better hands or getting called by worse on this flop. If we bet, I think we're just trying to avoid being bluffed by lower pocket pairs but most of the hands in our opponent's range are going to be beating us on this board, or have huge equity. Betting this flop seems like a mistake.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    We get called by draws.  Read-dependant whether we want to be, I suppose. 

I think there are occasional lines we can take that are -ev for range balancing purposes.  If we check this flop with 99 we are so exploitable we should just fold pre.

Out of interest, would you advocate a c/c or c/f?
  • edited June 2013
    FWIW est, it's a Sky HH and they show bet amounts annoyingly, so the raise is actually to 1800 (cos I've already paid my SB) but yeah still on the small side and I'm not IP, I'm OOP. Much the same as I'd open smaller (minraise) at this stage, I'd also 3bet (or in this case isolate) smaller.

Again the shove is an option, although I still think it's a bit big with the effective stack over a limp, I think it's just too much for the villian to feel they have to call with weaker holdings. If they've chosen to play 88 like this for instance then I think they'd fold to a shove so I'm probably only getting called when crushed or maybe a flip v AK if he's decided to play that funky... Should have pointed out in the OP that at this blind level it had become the norm for pretty much every player on the table to open limp if they came into a pot (except me obv).

Also, I've been trying to play more small ball poker at these stages recently. Obviously when we're around 10-12xBB (or less), there's no room for small ball anymore but around the 20xBB stage, there's still room for poker on Sky specifically.

For instance there are certain players when we're 20xBB effective where they can open to 2x, and you can 3bet bluff to 5x because you'll get a ridic amount of folds V said player but you know 100% if they shove it's the easiest fold in the world.
  • edited June 2013
    auto shove pre or raise more pre for SPR - makes flop easier to play

anything below 20bb does not warrant small ball poker />25bb and small ball is ok

you should be looking to lower the SPR on flop, your not looking to play streets unless your deeper and can apply pressure/leverage verus the effective
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: DTD1 : We get called by draws.  Read-dependant whether we want to be, I suppose.  I think there are occasional lines we can take that are -ev for range balancing purposes.  If we check this flop with 99 we are so exploitable we should just fold pre. Out of interest, would you advocate a c/c or c/f?
    Posted by Wilhelm
    For the most part, draws aren't worse hands than ours. QJ and flush draws with one over card are flipping against us, two overs with a flush draw are 60/40 favourites. Two undercards with a flush draw are only 40/60 dogs against us and gut shots are the same. Some of those draws won't make much sense with the limp-call.

We're never a big favourite, sometimes flipping and the rest of the time we're betting as a 60% or 90% dog. If our opponent calls a lead on this flop can we fire a blank turn? Should we? If he comes over the top with one of those weaker draws, we can't call anyway. When we bet, we're basically hoping he folds. If he calls, we're probably check-folding the turn and if he raises, we're folding the flop.

This board smashes a limp-caller's range. Having made such a small pre-flop raise ourselves, it's a possibility that our opponent could have low suited connectors or a small pair. However, I think more of his range has hit this flop.

When we check, I think we have to be check-folding. We might be folding the best hand but our opponent has limp-called and when a limp-caller bets a flop like this, we're probably not winning.

I don't agree that we're exploitable if we check this flop. We're simply recognising that the hand that was likely ahead pre-flop is now likely to be behind against our opponent's range. It's such a bad flop for us.

He might check back, of course. Which would be nice.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: DTD1 : I'm not going to type out that alias all the time. From now on, I'm referring to you as Harry . Okay?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Sir, you can call me whatever you desire. And my mistake, it was indeed a small raise not a 3bet.