You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ship the Turn 2 protect my hand?

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Queen on the river was the last card i wanted to see!
FlyingDagg Small blind  20.00 20.00 2402.50
arthur1962 Big blind  40.00 60.00 4542.50
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

LARSON7 Raise  80.00 140.00 2185.00
Boxster Call  80.00 220.00 1635.00
ballard88 Fold     
theblade16 Fold     
FlyingDagg Fold     
arthur1962 Call  40.00 260.00 4502.50
Flop

• K

arthur1962 Check     
LARSON7 Bet  195.00 455.00 1990.00
Boxster Call  195.00 650.00 1440.00
arthur1962 Fold     
Turn

LARSON7 Bet  487.50 1137.50 1502.50
Boxster Call  487.50 1625.00 952.50
River

• Q

LARSON7 Check     
Boxster Bet  640.00 2265.00 312.50
LARSON7 Call  640.00 2905.00 862.50
Boxster Show
  • K
  • Q

LARSON7 Muck
  • K
  • A

Boxster Win Two Pairs, Kings and Queens 2905

Comments

• edited June 2013
    No, just bet normal. If he wants to pay the incorrect price to get there, let him. Shoving will fold out too many hands that would call a smaller bet even though you have them crushed
  • edited June 2013
    Can we fold the river? I've checked cause KQ is all over his range, i think i'm behind, but it's a crying call
  • edited June 2013
    So is KJ.

Btw 3x pre at this stage :p
  • edited June 2013
    Larsonnnnnnnnnnn.  You know that min raising UTG is going to attract a lot of cr*p hands behind you to call.  KQ probably comes along anyway though but still... 

Cant shove the turn.... like ever. 2k into a 455 pot?  never worth it and you risking youre entire stack with no read other than oppo has hit the flop in some way.  He could easily have 55 or 77 for example.

Otherwise its all standard stuff IMO and well played.  Call on the end is very villain dependant but by this stage you can rule out sets and probably k7, k5, k3 as theyd raise the turn.  You are losing to an odd flush draw thats come along for the ride like 68 hearts but still beating KJ and K10 that would have come for the ride as well.   Would be a tough lay down.

I'll say again.  Dont be results orientated.  If that rivers a brick then youve got max value from your hand.  Shoving turn folds out most hands you are beating and just gives people chips if theyve got you crushed.
  • edited June 2013
    Firstly, we need a good reason to be min-raising with these stacks. You're playing 56BB and you're the effective stack. Are you going to be playing lots of speculative hands UTG, like suited connectors and gappers? If not, then you're entire range for raising UTG is value hands, so just bet bigger because 3x gets us more value than a min-raise. You're not balanced by min-raising if you're only playing value hands anyway.

The flop is fine.

I think you should be betting smaller on the turn, if anything. Betting 487.5 out of our opponent's stack of 1440 just forces him to decide whether he's committing to the pot or not. He can't call this and fold the river and there aren't many draws for him to be holding. We don't want to narrow his range so much by forcing him to decide here and now. We can bet 350 or so here and still have less than a pot-sized bet on the river.

Shoving the turn to "protect your hand" is a flawed concept here. What are you trying to protect it from? There are just so few rational draws for him to have. Any flush draw he might have picked up on the turn would also have needed to have some equity on the flop and the straight draws on the flop either got there with the 3 on the turn or have lost equity with only one card to come. If he's holding any draw, we don't want him to fold anyway.

Sometimes our opponent is going to catch up. That's the game. It's not something we should be afraid of.

On the river, I'd be leading out for value and cursing the fact that he got there. Any value bet on the river, with this Stack to Pot Ratio is going to be a shove.
  • edited June 2013
    [ ] worse hands calling is a problem 

wp

EDIT: didn't even see that you c/c otr. Ship it
  • edited June 2013
    Really detest how this client has decimals of a chip. Just why.

Anyways river is just your bog standard everyday value ship. Ships them chippies.

Even more so on this site (and definately if a BH) because you can guarantee they ain't folding with their KJ's, KT's, K9's ect ect because they has top pair init.

• edited June 2013
    you set the hand up pretty well for a river ship, so shiiiiiiiiiiiiiip it