You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DTD Game Tough Turn Decision

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Player hadn't been getting out of line, what would you do on the turn? 

LARSON7
Small blind  75.00 75.00 12942.50
longhair21 Big blind  150.00 225.00 3222.50
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

POKERTREV Fold     
HITMAN_RV Fold     
luvBWFC Raise  450.00 675.00 9665.00
scwuffy54 Fold     
LARSON7 Call  375.00 1050.00 12567.50
longhair21 Fold     
Flop

LARSON7 Check     
luvBWFC Bet  525.00 1575.00 9140.00
LARSON7 Call  525.00 2100.00 12042.50
Turn

LARSON7 Check     
luvBWFC Bet  2100.00 4200.00 7040.00
LARSON7 ?? 

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Call him down!
  • edited June 2013
    Yup, call him down.
  • edited June 2013
    I folded, hes bet pot on the turn, to ship the river.

Looks like i was crushed
  • edited June 2013
    I've played against villain before and know he can be very aggro, hence the call down suggestion. Vs an unknown, can understand a fold on the turn. Though if you're gonna fold the turn, why call on the flop? Whats your plan/thinking for further streets when you call the flop?

I might also be more inclined to call when he bets pot on the turn. This means we have to pretty much call the river regardless.
  • edited June 2013

He hadn't been agro, since the early levels.

My plan was to call down. But the pot bet on the turn is 2 big, pretty much looks like he is setting up to ship the river, and then i'm in a world of pain. Better to just get away on the turn, when i've not done 2 much.

When i call the flop, i'd call down reasonable sized bets. The only hand i'm really beating is Ace 10/ Bluff. Don't think he'd play ace 10 or 99s like this. The way he had been playing, i just got the feeing i was a mile behind.

I could have 3 bet it pre to about 1k, if i'm 4 bet i have to fold jacks in this spot. Maybe that would have been better. The only thing i'm beating is a bluff, and can't see him running a sick bluff here.

• edited June 2013
    To me, the pot bet looks like he's trying to get you to fold exactly the type of hand you have. But you'd call down reasonable, value sized bets? It's tough as I've played him before and know he could be doing this with air.

Why does he go half pot on the flop, to full pot on the turn? Because he's getting desperate ;)*

*or he has AA and is milking you dry.
  • edited June 2013
    Raise the flop then you no much more..By calling you have no idea where you are.Yes his turn bets big but as you just called his bets I think he could rep your hand because you look weak.

Id personally re raise pre rather than call and id deffo re pop on the flop.

Hope you ran well.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: DTD Game Tough Turn Decision:
    To me, the pot bet looks like he's trying to get you to fold exactly the type of hand you have. But you'd call down reasonable, value sized bets? It's tough as I've played him before and know he could be doing this with air. Why does he go half pot on the flop, to full pot on the turn? Because he's getting desperate ;)* *or he has AA and is milking you dry.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    lol maybe he had air. I tend to look at how people play hands, and when something is contrary to previous hands then alarm bells start ringing.

If he had air then good luck to him
  • edited June 2013

Raise the flop then you no much more..By calling you have no idea where you are.Yes his turn bets big but as you just called his bets I think he could rep your hand because you look weak. Id personally re raise pre rather than call and id deffo re pop on the flop. Hope you ran well.
    Posted by est1967
    Yeah looking back on it, i should have 3 bet it. If he 4 bets (in this spot) im folding.

If he just calls, and donk bets the this flop, he's getting re-raised. If he check raises, the chips are going in. (on this flop)

I think if i 3 bet and am called, and he does have a hand, i'm getting my stack in here. I called as well, because i didn't really want to be playing a big pot with the other chip leader at the table.

------

I was doing quite well in this tournie, lost with QQs against 9j, all in on the flop, he had a gut shot and his straigh.

Left me with 10 bigs, moved table, in the BB with Ace 7 a guy shoved for a shortish stack, i called. Versus KK which left me 5 bigs lol knocked out 40th

• edited June 2013
    I don't mind 3betting pre, especially against this opponent but raising the flop wuold be really bad imo. If we raise the flop, everything we beat except maybe like AT will fold, and everything that beats us will ship and we'll either just throw away a ton of chips when we fold or get it in bad.
  • edited June 2013
    What Lambert says. 3bet pre would be fine. Raising flop after just calling pre not as fine. 
  • edited June 2013
    cant remember the hand. do you have the hand id
  • edited June 2013
    Found it. As it happens, good fold.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    LARSON7 Small blind  75.00 75.00 12942.50
    longhair21 Big blind  150.00 225.00 3222.50
     Your hole cards

POKERTREV Fold     
    HITMAN_RV Fold     
    luvBWFC Raise  450.00 675.00 9665.00
    scwuffy54 Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  375.00 1050.00 12567.50
    longhair21 Fold     
    Flop

LARSON7 Check     
    luvBWFC Bet  525.00 1575.00 9140.00
    LARSON7 Call  525.00 2100.00 12042.50
    Turn

LARSON7 Check     
    luvBWFC Bet  2100.00 4200.00 7040.00
    LARSON7 Fold     
    luvBWFC Muck     
    luvBWFC Win  2100.00  9140.00
    luvBWFC Return  2100.00 0.00 11240.00
  • edited June 2013
    I'd still call you down ;)
  • edited June 2013
    Lesson to be learned here Carl... why do you go full pot on the turn with an absolute monster on a really safe board that it's hard for him to hit?
  • edited June 2013
    played too many hands since, but i can only imagine doing thst if i believe he is strong and will call or jam my scared looking bet. Dont forget the hand is not in isolation, i would have had a feel of the oppo, but cant remember now
  • edited June 2013
    looking at stacks, i may also havw gone the greedy route of sizing an ai or fold situation rather than going the steady value route
  • edited June 2013
    looking at stacks, i may also havw gone the greedy route of sizing an ai or fold situation rather than going the steady value route
    Posted by luvBWFC
    Nice hand! Ul you never got paid, most times you would be there.

Re River, if i call the turn bet, your only real bet is to ship it. If i call the turn then a  3/4 or pot bet on river only leaves me a couple of k behind, if i'm calling that i'm calling an all in. Your pot sized bet allowed me to get away from the hand.

• edited June 2013
    Hi L

Your opponent is a good aggro player with a lot of success but flop could not be better for you really. I could seeing him bet down the streets with nothing certainly but having seen your play. Certainly likes of kt is typical of what he could have. If you've been folding turn bets a lot or been timid then that will form a strategy in his head for you too.I feel that you should call turn. Had he been 3xbb raising? Could have had sppr. He's a good player and has caught me out on numerous occasions as he plays good and bad hands similarly but takes your play into account too. 
  • edited June 2013
    Hi L Your opponent is a good aggro player with a lot of success but flop could not be better for you really. I could seeing him bet down the streets with nothing certainly but having seen your play. Certainly likes of kt is typical of what he could have. If you've been folding turn bets a lot or been timid then that will form a strategy in his head for you too.I feel that you should call turn. Had he been 3xbb raising? Could have had sppr. He's a good player and has caught me out on numerous occasions as he plays good and bad hands similarly but takes your play into account too. 
    Posted by profman15
    Hi Profman,

I don't think he's betting pot on the turn as a bluff, it looks like a value bet. Secondly, it looks like he is setting it up to shove the river, or for me to reraise, it's a bet that asks me the question. Imo if he was bluffing he would be betting a lot less. If this was to be a pot sized bet (as a bluff) i really don't like the play, what does he do to a call or a reraise? For these reasons i don't think he is every bluffing here.

If it is a bluff, he has to know that a really high percentage of the time I am folding here. Against me, I don't think you can ever be certain of that.

In this hand, i didn't re-raise pre flop cause i'm out of position, and don't want to be playing an enflated pot with Jacks. There was certain reads involved here, based on having played at the table with the player for an hour or 2.

It is a good flop for Jacks. On the flop, check to the preflop raiser, he bets i just call (again i dont want to enflate the pot/ keep in his AK AQ hands. If i reraise it's hard for him to call with  a worse hand outside of A10 K10, i doub't he'd be 3 xing with K10. Possibly Ace 10, but i didn't really think he had Ace 10.

I thought his range was quite strong QQ KK AA / AK/AQ maybe AJ, 99 10 JJ.

So i'm happy calling his flop bet to keep in the likes of AK AQ, if i reraise it's unlikely im getting called by a worse hand.

I did have pretty strong reads, i wont go into them. But basically, i look at how an opponent plays/ the situation/ position/ previous hands played by players at the table, bet sizing etc etc. I throw that all into come up with an answer.

When the pot sized bet went in, i narrowed the range to AA KK QQ to be fair that's what i was thinking (or a set), as i said above just got the feeling i was crushed after putting all the above together.

• edited June 2013
    Think his pot bet on the turn is pretty polarising. He either has the goods or he doesn't, and despite now knowing he had the nuts I still think betting pot on the turn makes me lean towards air in this instance rather than nuts.

Man, I'm so out with my reads.