You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this just a case of AA addiction?

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic

having missed my flush draw on the river I decide to attempt a bluff thinking myself he probably has a flush but now that two pairs are on the board a FH stands out.

cain82 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.14
craigcu12 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.76
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

mugsy78 Fold     
xRaise  £0.16 £0.22 £1.84
Superman_ Fold     
Missed Fold     
cain82 Fold     
craigcu12 Call  £0.12 £0.34 £3.64
Flop

craigcu12 Check     
xBet  £0.34 £0.68 £1.50
craigcu12 Call  £0.34 £1.02 £3.30
Turn

craigcu12 Check     
xBet  £0.51 £1.53 £0.99
craigcu12 Call  £0.51 £2.04 £2.79
River

craigcu12 Bet  £1.00 £3.04 £1.79
xAll-in  £0.99 £4.03 £0.00
craigcu12 Unmatched bet  £0.01 £4.02 £1.80
craigcu12 Show
  • K
  • J

xShow
  • A
  • A

xWin Two Pairs, Aces and 9s £3.71  £3.71

Comments

• edited June 2013
    No lol craig just look at his stack, he can never ever fold aces here, never
  • edited June 2013
    Think I'd probably fold pre, especially given his stack size.

As played, I don't mind seeing another card, but certainly check/fold on the turn; he's never bluffing 2 streets out of his stack. The board has paired, he could have flopped the nuts, you could quite easily be drawing dead here. As a bare minimum he probably has the A of hearts and we can't even beat that.

Scrap all that, just bin pre. Not worth getting involved.
  • edited June 2013
    I'd be folding pre-flop, too... Ask yourself what this guy's range is for raising pre-flop. Now ask yourself how well KJo plays against that range out of position, 50BB deep. KJo isn't much of a calling hand OOP to most players anyway. You need to have a really good idea of what you want to do post-flop and playing fit or fold is unlikely to be a good plan.

On the flop, having played the hand in the first place, we've flopped a massive draw. Why aren't we playing this aggressively? Check-raising as a semi-bluff would seem like a good plan here. Having made the call pre-flop, we have to be assuming that this opponent's range is not entirely massive hands and by check-raising here we can get him to fold a lot of hands that are beating us or have good equity against us. By check-calling we reduce our chances of getting a fold on later streets and will frequently be forced to fold the turn when we miss, without seeing the river. If we're going to call pre-flop and get this flop, I think we need to be able to semi-bluff to try to win the pot.

When we miss the turn we can either open-shove, again as a semi-bluff, or we can check-fold. Check-calling can't be an option. Without boring you with the exact odds, if we call here we can only win 5x our investment if we always get the rest of his stack in on the river. We need our hand to always be best when we hit our flush and we need him to always stack off on a four-flushing, paired board. Even though he'll be getting good odds, we can't be sure that he's going to do that... Just as often as he stacks off with something we beat, he'll have something that beats us.

On the river, we decide to bluff with little fold equity against a hand that beats us and our King-high can never be good if we're called. Our hand looks a lot like what it is; a missed draw that's now trying to steal the pot. If we're planning to bluff the river once we've missed, why not semi-bluff with some equity on the flop or turn while our flush might still hit? A King or Jack might even be good for us. Once we miss the river, we have zero chance of making the best hand.

So I'd fold pre-flop. If we're going to make the call pre-flop, we have to be able to make a semi-bluff at some point on this board.
  • edited June 2013
    Craig i played with you a little yesterday, suprised to see stuff like this, its NL4 and he has aces. He got married about 4 weeks ago to this very hand. 
  • edited June 2013

thanks for the advice some other things I have thought about when OOP
    could KQo still be worth a call OOP ?
    the KJ if it was KJs could I make the call then or does the suited hand not change much. 
    If it was folded round to the button and he did a raise can I do a reraise, it is rare on nl4 but the further up the stakes I go I am thinking that buttons will get raised more often if everyone else folded.

• edited June 2013
    Well yeah dynamics completely change when reacting to a button open in comparison to an UTG+1 open, assuming they are actually raising wider on the button.

That said, at 4NL I'd stick to the basics of playing IP as much as possible and stick to a pretty strong range in the blinds. You are going to lose money in the blinds (all players do), and win the msot money from the BTN, that's just the way poker is
  • edited June 2013
    fold pre

once called, i'd c/r flop

can't call turn

river once we get to it is a c/f