You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Online timing tells

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat

Do you think there are any online timing tells? If so, what?

Of course they won't be correct 100% of the time but can they indicate strength, weakness, protecting hands etc?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I mentioned this about 1 month ago but it has not helped lol.
  • edited June 2013
    'They' say a snap call of a bet postflop is usually a draw or weak made hands. Although I think you can pretty much ignore most timing tells for most multitablers cos I make snap calls all the time postflop with all sorts of different hands just cos I know quickly what my decision is and wanna move onto the next table, as I'm sure most multi tablers do.
  • edited June 2013
    It's impossible to have generic timing tells online as you do not know if that player is multi tabling and/or focused on the hand in play. A long wait can mean anything from they are unsure of their hand to they where busy clicking other tables and actually have the nuts. A snap decision can mean anything from they just happend to be looking at that table or they have the nuts and didn't need to think.

Sizing and bet patterns are much stronger indicators, timing tells are to inconsistent :p
  • edited June 2013
    when i take a long time it often means the table is lagging
  • edited June 2013
    Wot Lambert said
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Online timing tells:
    'They' say a snap call of a bet postflop is usually a draw or weak made hands. Although I think you can pretty much ignore most timing tells for most multitablers cos I make snap calls all the time postflop with all sorts of different hands just cos I know quickly what my decision is and wanna move onto the next table, as I'm sure most multi tablers do.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Does that suggest you think people who multi-table are (without necessarily trying) disguising possible timing tells better than those playing on less tables?

If, for example, you know someone is one-tabling - does it mean timing tells might be clearer?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Online timing tells : Does that suggest you think people who multi-table are (without necessarily trying) disguising possible timing tells better than those playing on less tables? If, for example, you know someone is one-tabling - does it mean timing tells might be clearer?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Of course, if your know they are single tabling they are more likely to be fully focused on their hand and the time taken is a more accurate representation of how long they actually took to make the decision. 
  • edited June 2013
    Us old timers should get 10 seconds longer, even longer when on the scotch...
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah mutli tablers definitely (inadvertently) disguise timing tells because you just have no idea where a particular table is on their list of priorities at that point in time so have no idea why they acted slowly or quickly.

1tabling players' timing tells are much more reliable but still not something I'd pay more attention to than my opinion of the player, bet sizing, board texture etc.
  • edited June 2013
    Timing tells are fairly good at giving reads.

Timing tools combined with given bet sizes are very at giving reads.

But it would be pretty silly to say what I think they mean, giving away information away for free is very -ve.

And of course it is often player specific.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Online timing tells : Does that suggest you think people who multi-table are (without necessarily trying) disguising possible timing tells better than those playing on less tables? If, for example, you know someone is one-tabling - does it mean timing tells might be clearer?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    I,d agree with the above posts and say yes, however he could be playing on other sites as well at same time.

After watching 2M2MM (the poker reality show) Jason Krantz - screenname - Pr1ynnaid (prob spelt wrong) was having a losing session at high stakes online - Think he was nearly 300k down at the time but then announced to the others he had a "timing tell" on his opponent and crushed him from then on winning roughly 100k in the end.

So i guess it would have to be true although not half as easy as he made it look
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Online timing tells : I,d agree with the above posts and say yes, however he could be playing on other sites as well at same time. After watching 2M2MM (the poker reality show) Jason Krantz - screenname - Pr1ynnaid (prob spelt wrong) was having a losing session at high stakes online - Think he was nearly 300k down at the time but then announced to the others he had a "timing tell" on his opponent and crushed him from then on winning roughly 100k in the end. So i guess it would have to be true although not half as easy as he made it look
    Posted by MP33
    In this example was HU thus we can assume our opponent is focused on it, 

Also you have to remeber this is 4 years old. Less people playing more tables

I think Lambert has nailed this to be honest. 
  • edited June 2013
    timing tells are nonsense in general

you would have to study someone very hard to get any concrete reads that there is a pattern of which you can exploit

you would need to identify a pattern of given lines and the timing of the calls/checks/bets

I do like the old one "act's quick draws/when weak"

hence people playing big hands faster online :)

funny but because everyone is aware of giving away timing tells, people are more trying not to give out timing tells incase oppo gets a reverse tell

imagine trying to get timing tells from a 10+ multi tabler, who is far too busy cliking away than worrying about timing tells

lolgame
  • edited June 2013
    It works on instinct a lot when multitabling. I would say vs unknowns i can decide whether to call rivers based entirely on timing tells even if i cant remember the action from the rest of the hand.

Multitablers have timing tells as well. They are just more specific. You may think your tells are masked but in the process of multitabling you prioritise certain hands and actions and you delay certain actions which might seem inconsequential but can paint a picture of what you are actually thinking about. You also do a lot of things subconsciously so are unaware of certain tells you give off.
  • edited June 2013
    I would never trust online "timings" for your opponents actions, I've ran off to grab some crisps and a choccy bar and just got back 1 second before my timer runs out and hit RAISE when meaning call. Or been on the phone, got caught up in a news item on tv, been watching a hand play out on Skypoker channel...There are just too many reasons why you my stall your move/action.
  • edited June 2013
    Funny but I just muddle myself up trying to consider whether a delay means something or is a double bluff etc. best bet is to ignore that side and give more time to size of bets and getting a grasp of how your opponent plays IMO.