You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a correct/good call by my opponent?

HI all,
FT of deepstack. Considering the size of the blinds, is this a good call to make considering he will probably have two live cards and i was the shortest stack at the table? I must admit i was a little surprised to see 75s as i'd not really seen chancy play by him before. It had been quite a long FT thus far, however. I wouldn't have called.
Do you find 5xbb push is best way here or just min raise? It certainly is a correct push for this stack size in this position but i see a lot of chancers with the likes of QTo calling and sucking out. Its as if the min raise gets more respect than the shove.I tend to find theres a lot of min raising pre and post by these stages which gets through unlike bigger buy-in T's

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceflungeSmall blind 3000.003000.00270064.36$$$Big blind 6000.009000.0056990.32 Your hole cards8A   profman15All-in 31372.5040372.500.00gilly88Fold    flungeFold    $$$Call 25372.5065745.0031617.82$$$Show75   profman15Show8A   Flop  K65   Turn  10   River  6   $$$WinTwo Pairs, 6s and 5s65745.00 97362.82

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Is this a correct/good call by my opponent?:
    He puts 250.000 into a pot of nearly 700.000 just about gives him excuses to call as he still has over 300k left .To be honest I bet you were glad he called and 6 out of 10 you would win this hand just ul on the night.Well done on final table though.
    Posted by est1967
    Not sure where you are getting your numbers from? The pot after Profman pushes is just over 40K. The villain has to call 25k to win 40k.
    Profman is pushing with 5 BB so he could have any 2 and the villain is getting the right odds to call hoping for 2 live cards.
    Profman this is a standard push. You have 5 BB its 4 handed and you have an Ace. You are around a 61% fav to win hand. This is what you want at this stage with 5BB.
  • edited June 2013
    it's a terrible call - how is 25k -> 40k a good call - have to explain that one dude
    spec when hero is UTG and vill has 7 high - ya 64s is in shoving range !
    Hero shoving range got vill beat - plus atc v atc vill has not got the price

prof...but you have an ace, you played it ok - well done - concentrate on the postives
    we can't control what villians do, not worth worrying about
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Is this a correct/good call by my opponent? : Not sure where you are getting your numbers from? The pot after Profman pushes is just over 40K. The villain has to call 25k to win 40k. Profman is pushing with 5 BB so he could have any 2 and the villain is getting the right odds to call hoping for 2 live cards. Profman this is a standard push. You have 5 BB its 4 handed and you have an Ace. You are around a 61% fav to win hand. This is what you want at this stage with 5BB.
    Posted by jonjo75
    I was looking at another page lol so sorry.
  • edited June 2013
    I am sure someone with poker stove can run it but I think calling 25K to win 40K with 75 suited against a 5bb shove 4 handed is ok
    As the hand plays ( i understand he doesnt know he has 2 live cards so this is not a proper result) he is around 39% to win 40K from a 25K bet. I think over time you would win with these odds.
    It might be marginal and stove might prove it wrong but in no way is it terrible.
  • edited June 2013
    Meh, hard to put a range together without knowing the hero too well but...

equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied   
    Hand 0:     64.012%      63.59%     00.42%          949540424       6238504.00   { 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QJs, A8o+, KQo }
    Hand 1:     35.988%      35.57%     00.42%          531111656       6238504.00   { 75s }

Villian would have 35% V the above range so it is a losing call but some people like to gamble V shorties when they have a big stack.

If we have 5xBB on a FT we NEED to double, and if that means shoving A8o and someone calling with 57s, I'm happy to take it.

Minraising from 5xBB would be SOOO bad it's painful. If as you say people like to take a punt with QTo, let them, you're the one with the best hand, and at this stage you need to win a race. What would you do if you get shoved on and have put one third of your stack in? If the answer is call then it's WAY better to shove cos it's not strong enough to induce and you want max FE. If the answer is fold, that's baaaad.
  • edited June 2013
    Has he called off about half his stack with 7 5?! It's an awful call, no two ways about it.

Though as said, you can't control what others do. You made the right play, take some comfort in that.
  • edited June 2013
    I must admit I thought the villains stack was 300K+  (after lazilly just looking at the 1st reply from est1967 which is now deleted ) but if you look at the pure numbers it is closer than you think and is not terrible.
    Lamberts stove says he is around 35% when he needs I think 38% to win over time so in my mind its not awful just gambley.
  • edited June 2013
    Am I reading it wrong? Villains stack is just shy of 57k plus his BB? Prof shoves for over 30k from UTG. This is a terrible call in my opinion. Villain should be looking for a spot to shove first/pick up a monster, not calling off half his stack with 7 high.
  • edited June 2013
    I must admit I thought the villains stack was 300K+  (after lazilly just looking at the 1st reply from est1967) but if you look at the pure numbers it is closer than you think and is not terrible. Lamberts stove says he is around 35% when he needs I think 38% to win over time so in my mind its not awful at all just gambly.
    Posted by jonjo75
    yo, think vill needs 39% to call - have not ranged it equity wise but I am sure versus hero shoving range vill ain't got 39%

but I stand corrected if someone shows up with the range v range equity share

Think we disagree on what hero shoving range is essentially, but I concede it may be closer than my knee jerk terrible call response :)

But think calling off nearly half your stack in this spot with 10 bigs is terrible
  • edited June 2013
    C ev its a snap T ev its a snap fold Simples
  • edited June 2013
    I don't even think it's +Cev tbh (although it's close), but all depends on hero's shipping range obv
  • edited June 2013
    Cant believe you wasted 5 minutes of your life putting this up. Cant believe I've wasted 5 of mine here either. Cheers
  • edited June 2013
    Cant believe you wasted 5 minutes of your life putting this up. Cant believe I've wasted 5 of mine here either. Cheers
    Posted by RyanC7

Dear sir,
    If you think some high handed put down will stop me from putting hands I have questions about in the poker clinic then please note that it will not. So now please save yourself some precious time in your obviously valuable life by never making comment on any of my posts again. There! Now that's saved us both being bored by the other. Adios amigo.....
  • edited June 2013
    Posted by RyanC7

Why would you waste your precious time writing this just to put someone down?
    Whats the point?
    Because you like being rude to people?
    To try and make others think you are funny?

I just don't get it.
  • edited June 2013
    You think I give a flying shiit whether a 60 year old man from norfolk finds my comments on skypoker forum funny then you have lost the plotttttttttttttt mate. What are you his dad
  • edited June 2013
    Anyway the original post was a "come on mate its obviously a bad call" just didnt write it in black and white for you jonjo sorry mate massive aplogies
  • edited June 2013
    You think I give a flying shiit whether a 60 year old man from norfolk finds my comments on skypoker forum funny then you have lost the plotttttttttttttt mate. What are you his dad
    Posted by RyanC7

So it was the other option then.
  • edited June 2013
    Hey RyanC7. 
    Its time a kid in his early twenties learned some respect. You sound so stupid when you spout off the way you do. It's not the first time i've seen this sort of stuff from you. What are you trying to prove? If its that you are an immature, attention-seeking twit then congratulations, mission accomplished!!!! Now go and slide under some rock and keep yourself company.......
  • edited June 2013
    C ev its a snap T ev its a snap fold Simples
    Posted by PezPwndYou
    Good point, still not got my head around no Antes, which would make it a call (Cev wise)