You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Last nights main could i have got away from this?

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Im thinking could I have have got away from this hand.My pre flop call was not great tbh but on this flop with 2 call bets I decide to jam was this right/wrong. Im still thinking if flush has already hit I still have outs until I saw the board lol.  PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancewynne1938 Small blind  15.00 15.00 2690.00 cannibal70 Big blind  30.00 45.00 2230.00   Your hole cards 7 7       Poshbird Call  30.00 75.00 1862.50 kidgirlgy Raise  150.00 225.00 1367.50 floppedout Fold     est1967 Call  150.00 375.00 1540.00 wynne1938 Fold     cannibal70 Fold     Poshbird Call  120.00 495.00 1742.50 Flop    7 Q 8       Poshbird Bet  247.50 742.50 1495.00 kidgirlgy Call  247.50 990.00 1120.00 est1967 All-in  1540.00 2530.00 0.00 Poshbird Call  1292.50 3822.50 202.50 kidgirlgy All-in  1120.00 4942.50 0.00 Poshbird Show 8 8    kidgirlgy Show A K    est1967 Show 7 7    Turn    J       River    A       kidgirlgy Win Flush to the Ace 4597.50  4597.50 Poshbird Win Three 8s 345.00  547.50

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I'm playing it exactly as you did
  • edited June 2013
    fold pre or shove

flop - what else you going to do - fold !
  • edited June 2013
    Hi sir

I don't think there's anything to get away from tbh. This is what you want, to flop a 7. Just vul set over set. You still have good equity v the flush. TBh i'd plsay it the exact same way myself.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this?:
    fold pre or shove flop - what else you going to do - fold !
    Posted by rancid
    Whaaaaat, really?

You're 3bet shoving nearly 60xBB with 77 over just a limp and an iso?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this? : Whaaaaat, really? You're 3bet shoving nearly 60xBB with 77 over just a limp and an iso?
    Posted by Lambert180
    +1
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this? : Whaaaaat, really? You're 3bet shoving nearly 60xBB with 77 over just a limp and an iso?
    Posted by Lambert180
    They are just better options that just calling
  • edited June 2013
    Shove or fold pre
    It's been said before
    I'll say it again
  • edited June 2013
    Shoving pre is a suicide play here imo.  So little to gain, so much to lose and never (a word I rarely use in poker but I believe it so much in this case I am about to use it again with bold and italics and everything) never in good shape if called.  The only benefit to shoving is 88 to maybe JJ can fold.

Call or fold imo, both acceptable in certain circumstances.  We're facing a 5x which is very rarely light.  However we like flopping sets against strong preflop ranges as this increases the chances of getting the lot on the occasions we catch that set.

On the flop, I too am putting on my coat and saying good luck everyone.
  • edited June 2013
    some terrible advice in here from winning players that should no better, why is 3 bet shoving 56 bbs good??? someone please explain cos it has me beat!!!
  • edited June 2013
    some terrible advice in here from winning players that should no better, why is 3 bet shoving 56 bbs good??? someone please explain cos it has me beat!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    +1
  • edited June 2013
    think ya all misunderstand my post, don't think it's terrible advice but hey........

fold />shove />call

The only problem I have with calling is, your only calling to hit a set - and your calling a percentage of your stack that I am not overly keen on - if you want to compound you own misery on a 925r by calling not to just hit a set then be my guest to wittle your stack away - imo we just ain't deep enough facing the 5xraise to set mine - I mean we are never even guarenteed that oppo will stack flop anyway if we hit set - oppo may have QQ and the flop comes down AK7
    In contrast the other player set mining is fine.

Is a shove better than a call, as mentioned above will probably fold out a certain range (88-JJ, AJ,AQ) so it's not terrible
    Ofc we only get called by better prs  and AK
    Alot revolves around what range we put oppo on for the 5x and how much fold equity we think we have.

FWIW I fold pre
  • edited June 2013
    think ya all misunderstand my post, don't think it's terrible advice but hey........ fold />shove />call The only problem I have with calling is, your only calling to hit a set - and your calling a percentage of your stack that I am not overly keen on - if you want to compound you own misery on a 925r by calling not to just hit a set then be my guest to wittle your stack away - imo we just ain't deep enough facing the 5xraise to set mine - I mean we are never even guarenteed that oppo will stack flop anyway if we hit set - oppo may have QQ and the flop comes down AK7 In contrast the other player set mining is fine. Is a shove better than a call, as mentioned above will probably fold out a certain range (88-JJ, AJ,AQ) so it's not terrible Ofc we only get called by better prs  and AK Alot revolves around what range we put oppo on for the 5x and how much fold equity we think we have. FWIW I fold pre
    Posted by rancid
    whats wrong with 3 betting to around 400??? 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this? : whats wrong with 3 betting to around 400??? 
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Are we 3bet/calling it off, or 3bet/folding?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this? : whats wrong with 3 betting to around 400??? 
    Posted by THEROCK573
    everything

plus i forget to mention we not closing the betting when we call, someone 3 bets behind we are crying like a child
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this? : Are we 3bet/calling it off, or 3bet/folding?
    Posted by Lambert180
    i could only make that decision in game really, i dont think its bad though if you were to 3 bet fold, still leaving yourself with +40bbs.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this? : everything plus i forget to mention we not closing the betting when we call, someone 3 bets behind we are crying like a child
    Posted by rancid
    im not saying call, i think callings poor but if you pick up AA in this spot then i could guarentee that you wouldnt be just 3 bet shoving a 56bb stack!!
  • edited June 2013
    I play it exactly as played.  Obv 5x is pretty strong but im never.... ever.... ever shoving pre.  Fold or call pre then I too get knocked out.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this? : im not saying call, i think callings poor but if you pick up AA in this spot then i could guarentee that you wouldnt be just 3 bet shoving a 56bb stack!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Maybe some do 3 bet shove and some don't, but I don't get the point your trying to make

We are just making what we deem to be the best play with the hand we have

We ain't deep enough to worry about anything else

Basically with these hands we will do x, and these hands we will do Y....etc..

Your obviously implying something...just not sure what

I mean facing 5x iso, what range are we 3betting this deep ? Is it really wide, do we include bluffs..

• edited June 2013
    As I stated in thread my pre flop call on 5x is poor imo,But im never shoving pre so in hindsight just fold pre was maybe the answer but with 50bbs left I was thinking if I set mine wiiiiiiiiii BUT!!
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights main could i have got away from this? : Maybe some do 3 bet shove and some don't, but I don't get the point your trying to make We are just making what we deem to be the best play with the hand we have We ain't deep enough to worry about anything else Basically with these hands we will do x, and these hands we will do Y....etc.. Your obviously implying something...just not sure what I mean facing 5x iso, what range are we 3betting this deep ? Is it really wide, do we include bluffs..
    Posted by rancid
    im not trying to imply anything other than 3 bet shoving 56bbs is not very wise in my opinion. foldings extremely nitty and i dont like flatting so in my opinion i raise to 400. that is all im saying, just my view for what its worth, not saying its correct!!!
  • edited June 2013
    Posted by THEROCK573
    hopefully rancid answered this - i had the same line of reasoning

hate the call - odds & all that
    don't like the shove - but stack is slipping and could be a way to double back into it if they don't fold - often see them with AK or a foldable pair with that play
    prefer the fold most of the time
    re-raise with position - hadn't really considered it - oop a no-no but looking to outplay them post in position - it's an idea if one is good enough
  • edited July 2013
    I would never shove pre because a solid player has 5xed utg+1. I am also reluctant to fold fold because sets are so valuable and if we hit one we usually get the wonga!

I see what Rancid is saying about our stack size and relative stack sizes but, tbh, I am happy to peel pre because, at least one of the blinds and the original limper might come in. Then we have decent implied odds for hitting our set. 

A fold pre is probably best but I think if we are comfortable at building our stack as the blinds increase (as we should be on sky because the tables are usually very soft), that the small price of 150 chips is worth paying, trying to flop a set! (if we miss our set, we can get that 150 back and moresome pretty quick by getting agro as the blinds increase) 

So in general Fold > Call >>>>> Shove. But, personally, I don't mind call. 

Shove is just not a good play... we are turning 77 into a bluff by shoving here! At least give ourselves a fighting chance and shove something that does not depend on hitting a two outer to win! 

Not sure about raising to 400 and then folding to further action. (assuming we would fold lol) This is pretty weird and bad imo, but obv If i have a huge premium I would raise, and prob to ~400, but why would we turn 77 into a bluff vs a 5x utg+1 open from a nit??!!

Unlucky EST, but I don't think you did anything wrong!

• edited July 2013
    Everyone seems to be assuming that the 150 must be a premium hand. If that's the case, I don't think we can call merely to set-mine. We can only win around 10x the amount we're being asked to call from the raiser (combined with the pot). If we always fold to a c-bet, we can't make a profit from this one player considering all the times they fail to pay us off with a missed AK or KK on an A-high board or the times we make a set and lose anyway.

Are we absolutely sure that this player is only raising a nitty range?

I don't think we should be assuming that other players are going to get involved. Even if other players do call to see a flop, their ranges aren't as strong as the raiser, meaning that if they get it in against us post-flop they're likely to have considerably more equity against our set than a simple overpair would. The implied odds aren't good to set-mine.

We can call pre-flop if we're not giving this raise credit for being a nitty range. Obviously if we can call a flop bet and reassess the turn against a relatively wide pre-flop range, we're not restricting ourselves to set-mining.

I'm in agreement with those not liking shoving... 56BB over a limp and a 5x. I don't think the rewards from the occasions that we get the shove through are going to come close to all the times we bust as a 20/80 dog.

Fold if the villain's a nit. Call if the villain's playing a wider range. 3-bet/fold if the villain's playing a super-wide range (unless they're 4-betting wide too, in which case I'd open-fold to avoid levelling with 77 or call to play in position). Never shove. Them's my thoughts and they're so obviously better than everyone else's. ;)
  • edited July 2013
    im never folding versus this player, no disrespect but ive played her a fair bit and she has a lot of trash in her range.
  • edited July 2013
    im never folding versus this player, no disrespect but ive played her a fair bit and she has a lot of trash in her range.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I have played the villain a few times and is very lag,tbh how it wor.ked out also very lucky and tbh surprised she called my shove and the call chasing 2nd nut flush.Looking back my call out of pos was imo garbish but with the set I think jamming is correct even though I was up against better set.