You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

wha size bet should i have done to keep AK

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic

when i got reraised preflop i fairly sure that i was likely facing the premium hands.
as the flop was just 6 high i decided to make the call thinking he could very well be just cbetting with AK or JJ.

when i see him fold on the turn it made me wonder if i am sometime going over the top with my bets.

xSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £18.43
craigcu12 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £24.62
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

CATCH-22 Fold     
xRaise  £0.25 £0.40 £18.18
craigcu12 Raise  £0.80 £1.20 £23.82
xRaise  £3.00 £4.20 £15.18
craigcu12 Call  £2.40 £6.60 £21.42
Flop

xBet  £2.00 £8.60 £13.18
craigcu12 Call  £2.00 £10.60 £19.42
Turn

xCheck     
craigcu12 Bet  £4.00 £14.60 £15.42
xFold

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Not at all.

I would say bet bigger on the turn, to hopefully ship the river if the board doesn't get any worse.

Edit just seen the preflop action/ reads would be critical, if he is quite a loose player i would be betting this to get it in pre flop. If hes quite a tight player, like the call, dont mind the flop call, when he checks the turn he's given up, most likely AK / Q like you said. Id still be betting big to get it in on river
  • edited June 2013
    when i look through the hand history he always seem to raise with his decent hands any hands not so decent he normally has folded or limped. we had both been one the table for roughly 2.5 hour already prior to this hand too so I would think he would have got some idea of my play by the time this hand came.
  • edited June 2013
    Think it's played pretty much perfect Craig.

Only thing I might do different, which is player dependent, is look to get the lot in pre. It's blind on blind, if he happens to wake up with AA or KK then it's just unlucky. He's gonna struggle to fold JJ/1010 and AK/Q and I'd be looking to get him to commit his stack with these pre. If he has AK then you'll probably get the lot pre, but when the flop bricks like that you'll never get all his monies. 
  • edited June 2013
    If it was a rainbow board the bet size would be fine to set up £9 into 18 on the river, argument for betting bigger than 4 on that wet board though (if you want to bet at all)

Just looks like he's given up here, he probably has QQ+ and AK when he 4bets big.

Would expect all overpairs and flushdraws to bet again, reckon you can narrow him right down to AK off suit and AK suited red/blue.  

Be brave, check back the turn and snap call/bet small on any non A/K river imo ;)
  • edited June 2013
    Exactly what Dohhh said^^^
  • edited June 2013
    If you know about the oppo and he just cbet gives up AK and continues with AA and KK i like the small bet to protect your hand, but your just in a world of hurt if he check shoves here! Make a note, 4 bet pre then very small cbet, and c/f turn gotta be a huge bit of info for future.