You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The best poker article you'll ever read (I think)

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
I have just come across what I think is the most best poker article I've read. I honestly think 99% of Sky Poker's players can learn something from this.

We often hear people wonder why they lose to 'worse' players, and how people could possibly do the things they do. It doesn't make any sense, they're just bad players, etc. Then I came across this article from Nick Wealthall, who (I believe) is one of the best poker writers of our generation. Yes, that good.

Here's what he had to say:

I'd love to see what you guys think of Nick's article. Discuss it amongst yourselves - is he right? Do you honestly do what he recommends? Is there something else which could help our collective games more?

Enjoy.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Disappointing.

"This may be the most important 940 words you ever read."

This guy needs a reality check.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: The best poker article you'll ever read (I think):
    Disappointing. "This may be the most important 940 words you ever read." This guy needs a reality check.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

It was probably said a little tongue in cheek - very much his style, after all :)
  • edited June 2013
    Nice piece, written in classic Wealthall style.

And Nick hits the proverbial nail on the proverbial head.

Such a simple concept that SO many players fail to grasp (as demonstrated by the monotonous flurry of "I can't win against fish who get lucky with weak hands" threads on this forum).

• edited June 2013
    Yeah, I know it's tongue in cheek. Personally I dislike his writing style, always have. I learnt absolutely nothing from this article, though I agree that those who write the sort of posts James mentions probably would.

Attention seeking headlines like "This may be the most important 940 words you ever read" and all the weird "I've had a revelation" type speak makes Wealthall sound like the poker equivalent of David Icke.
  • edited June 2013
    I think most good players do this. Often in the poker clinic lower limit players will concoct a really narrow calling range for their opponent which matches their own "well he can't have this because..." when in reality practise teaches you that weaker players can often have anything. This is why the better you get the more you valuebet.

It often works the other way though. When someone i dont know min raises the turn i dont think "well i have a good hand, i dont want to be getting bluffed here" i think "my opponent doesnt realise hes turned his hand face up because bad players never bluff here" and it matters very little whether hes bluffing in this instance because you make more money by folding long term. Vs a good player you can widen their range because you know they think you will fold.
  • edited June 2013
    Like I said before, I know your rules but you don't know mine..... So called "pro" online players cannot see further than how they themselves value the opponents hand. An how MOST OF THE TIME your opponent won't hit his/her card.

You need to think about how your opponent see's his/her hand, pehaps your opponents rules are nothing like yours.
  • edited June 2013
    Like I said before, I know your rules but you don't know mine..... So called "pro" online players cannot see further than how they themselves value the opponents hand. An how MOST OF THE TIME your opponent won't hit his/her card. You need to think about how your opponent see's his/her hand, pehaps your opponents rules are nothing like yours.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    I think you're getting mixed up with "pros" and regs. 
  • edited June 2013
    I think most good players do this. Often in the poker clinic lower limit players will concoct a really narrow calling range for their opponent which matches their own "well he can't have this because..." when in reality practise teaches you that weaker players can often have anything. This is why the better you get the more you valuebet. It often works the other way though. When someone i dont know min raises the turn i dont think "well i have a good hand, i dont want to be getting bluffed here" i think "my opponent doesnt realise hes turned his hand face up because bad palyers never bluffs here" and it matters very little whether hes bluffing in this instance because you make more money by folding long term.
    Posted by offshoot
    An over time you will lose because the use of the word NEVER in poker will get you into trouble. A bad player can decide his £1 a day poker bankroll is going all in with a big fat bluff. Thinking you as a wanna be poker pro will be scared to lose ANOTHER £1 today, as you've probably already lost 3 or £4. The bad player comes away either £1 better off or goes back to freeplay.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: The best poker article you'll ever read (I think) : I think you're getting mixed up with "pros" and regs. 
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I know, sarcasm rarely works on the internet.
  • edited June 2013
    Pokers golden rule--

He who can AFFORD to lose the most, will win the most.

EG- I have £100 you have £10, if we play till one of us has all the the money I WILL end up with your £10.(this is a cahs table rule)
  • edited June 2013
    Pokers golden rule-- He who can AFFORD to lose the most, will win the most.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    Lol if only that were true.

I think Offshoot's point was the very same point you're making, about seeing it from the opponent's 'set of rules'. I.E. a 'good' player might not clickback a particular turn with the nuts because it turns his hand face up, a weaker player might not think about how his action appears to others and just wants to get more money in with the best hand without making them fold, thus he can fold and be correct long term. It's unusual that a guy or gal who just plays for fun is gonna think 'well clicking back the turn makes my hand face up, and the reg will know this, so I'll do it with air as a bluff', maybe sometimes but longterm a fold will be right.

There are plenty of people who can afford to lose a lot and it does not translate to them winning a lot.
  • edited June 2013
    EG- I have £100 you have £10, if we play till one of us has all the the money I WILL end up with your £10.(this is a cahs table rule)
    Posted by VickiPKR
    This just isn't true (assuming you're given a long enough period for skill to outweigh luck).

If I was playing £1/£2 HU cash with Phil Ivey and he starts with £1000 and I start with £10,000, I certainly wouldn't be betting on myself to come out of that the winner.
  • edited June 2013
    wow levelling, such a new concept in poker

to sum it up to beat micro you have to think above level 1 but also understand the rec players are only playing level 1.

Once you understand your oppo tendacies and how they play/think - poker becomes easier - obviously
    This works all the way up to high stakes- just basic poker fundamental rule no1.

But this is the great thing about a game with incomplete information, you have to come to a decision at some point as to who your playing against and how they play. You may get right or wroung in the first instance but after playing them a while you should develop an understanding of how they play and how they think about the game. Then you can move onto even more higher level thinking, and more deeper levelling - but some would argue this just ends up as guess work with no fundamental theory behind it - just a feeling. As levelling includes exploiting peoples tendacies, you may just be exploiting yourself with no math based strategy to stop yourself being exploited. If you wish to play a levelling game where your whole game is based on exploitation than don't be surprised when your expolited yourself by a better higher level thinking player.

good luck- gameinagame

lolarticle

• edited June 2013
    I used to like Nick way back on poker night live

He always had a different "style" but now appears to have become a massive parody of himself. His last "performance" on the show (sky poker) he came accross incredibly arrogant and superior, something which he never used to do.

As for the article, David Icke springs to mind like Gary refers to

Only one man needing a reality check and it is not the readers of this article
  • edited June 2013
    wow levelling, such a new concept in poker to sum it up to beat micro you have to think above level 1 but also understand the rec players are only playing level 1. Once you understand your oppo tendacies and how they play/think - poker becomes easier - obviously This works all the way up to high stakes- just basic poker fundamental rule no1. But this is the great thing about a game with incomplete information, you have to come to a decision at some point as to who your playing against and how they play. You may get right or wroung in the first instance but after playing them a while you should develop an understanding of how they play and how they think about the game. Then you can move onto even more higher level thinking, and more deeper levelling - but some would argue this just ends up as guess work with no fundamental theory behind it - just a feeling. As levelling includes exploiting peoples tendacies, you may just be exploiting yourself with no math based strategy to stop yourself being exploited. If you wish to play a levelling game where your whole game is based on exploitation than don't be surprised when your expolited yourself by a better higher level thinking player. good luck- gameinagame lolarticle
    Posted by rancid

In the big prize games I think its not uncommon to have 3 or 4 players on the same laptop and change players, which also changes the playstyle. A $1000 buy in, each putting $250 and each taking a "shift" works very well.So you've just spent 40min learning what I'm likely to do and all of a sudden I swap and you're playing someone else who has sent the last 40 minutes learning your game and you've never played him, but you think you have 40 mins of info on him. But on smaller stakes watching your opponent works.

But always remember, if it gets to showdown the best will always win, no matter what the maths says.
  • edited June 2013
    Pokers golden rule-- He who can AFFORD to lose the most, will win the most. EG- I have £100 you have £10, if we play till one of us has all the the money I WILL end up with your £10.(this is a cahs table rule)
    Posted by VickiPKR

r u serious ?

very simple rule -if you suck at poker - u lose the most money
    Poker is not set out with a set amount of money to lose or win at the start of each game
    the game doesn't just start and end

the only deciding factors as to who would win in your example is varaince and who is making the greater amount of +EV decisions

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: The best poker article you'll ever read (I think) : In the big prize games I think its not uncommon to have 3 or 4 players on the same laptop and change players, which also changes the playstyle. A $1000 buy in, each putting $250 and each taking a "shift" works very well.So you've just spent 40min learning what I'm likely to do and all of a sudden I swap and you're playing someone else who has sent the last 40 minutes learning your game and you've never played him, but you think you have 40 mins of info on him. But on smaller stakes watching your opponent works. But always remember, if it gets to showdown the best will always win, no matter what the maths says.
    Posted by VickiPKR

errrrr that's called cheating, but if that does happen then you notice the change in play style and adjust accordingly.
    You have to adjust constantly in poker.

The bolded bit is kinda obvious, the math is always correct in poker

• edited June 2013
    Are you kidding??

His "revelation" is the most obvious underlying concept of poker?

He doesn't go into ANY detail making his advice to "try to think about hands from their opponents’ point of view" as usefull as such useless vague advice as "don't overplay your hand", "play a tight range" and "play the player not your cards".

Trying to realise what your opponent is doing and why is incredibly important but generally you can't just simply figure out an individual thought pattern per opponent and apply that when playing a hand. This is where concepts such as levelling come in to break down the thought processes into categorizable and quantifiable chunks that you can respond to appropriately when playing.

Below is a great beginner section on levelling from one of my favoruite beginner videos that should help a lot of players understand and apply the basics which can improve their game:

• edited June 2013
    You're right in that it is one of the most basic concepts in poker, but in practical terms a lot of people don't do what Nick is describing. They look at their opponents hands and think something like...

"He can't have pocket tens in this spot because he would have done X"

...while thinking internally:

"He can't have pocket tens in this spot because I would have done X"

Glad the article is provoking some debate though!
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: The best poker article you'll ever read (I think) : errrrr that's called cheating, but if that does happen then you notice the change in play style and adjust accordingly. You have to adjust constantly in poker. The bolded bit is kinda obvious, the math is always correct in poker
    Posted by rancid
    Words like "always" and "never" cost money in poker, the cards are still random (well  should be). The point of the thread is you can be sure you're favourite because your knowledge of poker and poker math tells you so. But I can still call all the way and my cards can beat yours. Because you didn't see my hand in the same way I do.
  • edited June 2013
    You're right in that it is one of the most basic concepts in poker, but in practical terms a lot of people don't do what Nick is describing. They look at their opponents hands and think something like... "He can't have pocket tens in this spot because he would have done X" ...while thinking internally: "He can't have pocket tens in this spot because I would have done X" Glad the article is provoking some debate though!
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Yeah I agree 100% with the argument that you need to be thinking what hands your opponent would perform x action with rather than the hands you would perform x action with. The problem with the article is it doesn't really offer any advice on how to do this.
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah, I know it's tongue in cheek. Personally I dislike his writing style, always have. I learnt absolutely nothing from this article, though I agree that those who write the sort of posts James mentions probably would. Attention seeking headlines like "This may be the most important 940 words you ever read" and all the weird "I've had a revelation" type speak makes Wealthall sound like the poker equivalent of David Icke.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I,ve read a cpl of his articles and i,ve seen him on TV a few times. As James said it may be his toungue and cheek style of writing, but if you didn,t know that or know him , he can come accross as a bit up himself

Ps - David Icke is now speaking around the world to bigger audiences then he,s ever had,- from the Oxford Union to the Caribean islands on an array of subsects and has written some  succesfull books. I don,t agree with everything he says but he,s getting taken a lot more seriously than he used to all them years ago as more ppl wake up from their mental prison and the stuff they,ve been brainwashed by all their lives - Mainstream media 

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: The best poker article you'll ever read (I think) : Words like "always" and "never" cost money in poker, the cards are still random (well  should be).
    Posted by VickiPKR

I kinda agree where you shouldn't think in absolutes, but we still should base our decisions on percentages.

The cards are random, but the decisions are not.

If the decisions are random, then the correct decisions will always come out on top.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: The best poker article you'll ever read (I think) : Yeah I agree 100% with the argument that you need to be thinking what hands your opponent would perform x action with rather than the hands you would perform x action with. The problem with the article is it doesn't really offer any advice on how to do this.
    Posted by cgoldie

That's true, but then it would have been more than 940 words :P

I think the inference would be that, if you are genuinely a better player than your opponent, you have progressed through the mindset or skill level your opponent is currently on. That said, it can be very hard if you're naturally a very loose player to think of a very tight player's range, so I agree it could do with more explanation. 

I still think Nick's key point is a really good one though - so many players I know STILL to this day think "he can't have that because he would have played it differently" when they're mistaking it for how they would have played the hand. If you can make that very subtle change in thinking, I believe it would help anyone trying to hand read.
  • edited June 2013
    Try to write a poker article or speak on a television show in an engaging manner, and you're arrogant and superior. lol

Maybe he is both of those things but I think you'd have to know the guy to say. The fact that people still listen to him would seem to suggest that he's doing something right. Maybe people like arrogance and superiority?

Gary, I'd point out that your criticism of him as "Attention seeking" is more just a statement of the obvious. He's written an article that's intended to be given attention.

Anyway, some of the other criticisms that this article isn't a "revelation" are a bit silly. It should be fairly clear from the moment you start reading whether the article is meant for you. If you already think about your opponent's play, then it's not that this idea isn't relevant to you, it's just that you've already had that "revelation". To those who haven't had that moment of realisation, maybe this could be helpful.

There are a lot of people who could benefit from taking this article to heart. Unfortunately for them, many players just like to play to personal "rules" for how to play the game "correctly". They don't want to change because they like the certainty that they are playing "right". That's why they get upset when they lose to people who are playing "wrong".
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: The best poker article you'll ever read (I think) : That's true, but then it would have been more than 940 words :P I think the inference would be that, if you are genuinely a better player than your opponent, you have progressed through the mindset or skill level your opponent is currently on. That said, it can be very hard if you're naturally a very loose player to think of a very tight player's range, so I agree it could do with more explanation.  I still think Nick's key point is a really good one though - so many players I know STILL to this day think "he can't have that because he would have played it differently" when they're mistaking it for how they would have played the hand. If you can make that very subtle change in thinking, I believe it would help anyone trying to hand read.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    In simple terms, if Phil Ivey was to play Billy Bob from the pub league.

He would have to drop down and adapt his thinking.

Levels go up as well as down, imagine playing the wsop when one minute your playing Gus Hansen and the next your playing Sexy Sue the bar owner from Texas.

And to add to the complexity you have to also think how these various level players think about you - if they do at all.

Alongside this you have a load of other factors to take into consideration while playing a hand.

No wonder only a small percentage are wining players :)

• edited June 2013
    Some of the hardest ppl to play i,ve found playing live is beginners in your local pub.

The reason being  - How are you supposed to read what they,re gonna do or how they,re going to play a hand when they don,t even know themselves.

I think when ppl come on here and moan about losing to "bad/weak players" they,re not looking at it from a long point of view over a period of time . Its normally just a few hands from one session  
  • edited June 2013
    The people who say they can't beat the fish....

are the FISH!

Kind of a "nothing" article really.
  • edited June 2013
    Well how underwhelming 
  • edited June 2013
    sorry for disagreeing borin loner

i have not made the assumption i have based on this article

infact as mentioned i used to like Nick, he has however IN MY OPINION changed a lot since those early days

he was once "different"