You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How much have you learned/improved since you've been playing on Sky Poker?

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
I am, and always will be a small stakes recreational player.
I joined the site mainly thanks to what was then Channel 865.
My first experiences were great! I had loads of fun, but my style of play was gung ho and concentration was a word I could barely spell let alone exercise.

Like most players I took busted aces hard, swore blind that bad beat rivers were only ever happening to me! and put losses down to bad players calling, rather than my own frailties.

I still think i'm the best player in the world! but the rest of you get lucky too often!
My epiphany was checking my hand histories.
To be honest I thought my aces kings and queens got cracked 99% of the time. Can you imagine how shocked I was to find that 72% of my winning hands came when my hidden cards were 2nd best and that my aces kings and queens actually held up 80% of the time?.

When I take a tournament seriously and put my mind to my play, I can hold my own and I'm sure I've got a big tournament in me soon.
I'm never going to be a Tommy D, Style 27637 or CTBN (players I respect for skill and consistency) but on the right day with the wind behind me, you never knowm I might spring a surprise!

But the point of the thread was to establish where I've improved

Temperament - I dont get upset from bad beats because I make a point of remembering when I got lucky!
Tournament selection - I play a lot of DYMs and Timed tournaments to build my concentration
Hand ranges - I'm a lot tighter than when I first started and I'm not afraid to let a hand go if I believe an opponents improved after the flop
Enjoyment - My games improved because I enjoy every tournament! even if I go out in the first hand but made the right decision its just as Bruce Hornsby says "The way it is!"

Thats what I've taken from the game. What about you? What has improved your game?????

Comments

• edited June 2013

started over 3 years ago bounty hunters mainly kept on depositing cash every month and losing it thought i was very unlucky then realised i was just useless went on to small dyms held my own kept watching 861 just to learn what not to do now moved mtt deep stack suits me much better have not deposited for 18 months now just withdrawn cash still do not think im great but still learning just won 8 runner d stack that will do me only play for fun

• edited June 2013
    TK
    clinic
    forum
    say no more
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to How much have you learned/improved since you've been playing on Sky Poker?:
    I am, and always will be a small stakes recreational player. I joined the site mainly thanks to what was then Channel 865. My first experiences were great! I had loads of fun, but my style of play was gung ho and concentration was a word I could barely spell let alone exercise. Like most players I took busted aces hard, swore blind that bad beat rivers were only ever happening to me! and put losses down to bad players calling, rather than my own frailties. I still think i'm the best player in the world! but the rest of you get lucky too often! My epiphany was checking my hand histories. To be honest I thought my aces kings and queens got cracked 99% of the time. Can you imagine how shocked I was to find that 72% of my winning hands came when my hidden cards were 2nd best and that my aces kings and queens actually held up 80% of the time?. When I take a tournament seriously and put my mind to my play, I can hold my own and I'm sure I've got a big tournament in me soon. I'm never going to be a Tommy D, Style 27637 or CTBN (players I respect for skill and consistency) but on the right day with the wind behind me, you never knowm I might spring a surprise! But the point of the thread was to establish where I've improved Temperament - I dont get upset from bad beats because I make a point of remembering when I got lucky! Tournament selection - I play a lot of DYMs and Timed tournaments to build my concentration Hand ranges - I'm a lot tighter than when I first started and I'm not afraid to let a hand go if I believe an opponents improved after the flop Enjoyment - My games improved because I enjoy every tournament! even if I go out in the first hand but made the right decision its just as Bruce Hornsby says "The way it is!" Thats what I've taken from the game. What about you? What has improved your game?????
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    Ive learnt nothing, exept that sky poker sofwhare is UNPLAYERBLE GARBAGE...when my roll is gone im gone!
  • edited June 2013

I have learnt that you have got to be lucky,lucky,lucky.

You can put all the hours  in, read many books, learn a lot more, become more skilful and tactical, be able to read people a lot better,, but you still need to be lucky, lucky ,lucky, to dodge all those bullets that are fired at you, there  are too many maniacs around, so my advice to myself and poker buddies is to lie low and let them run out of bullets ,they will in the end,you will survive,with a little bit of luck of course.
    Rant over!

• edited June 2013

I've learned a lot and improved a lot through skypoker.

I would have to say having a diary on here helped me heeps and some of the feedback was brilliant.

The poker clinic has been really immense too in helping me understand a lot more about poker. It's really good on there that players from all different levels will give good feedback on hands. Which has helped my game no end.

Thanks to the help of many people on sky i would say I am a far better player than say 6 months ago. 

I just play the microstake games as for me it is mostly about fun and always like the challenge of getting better at whatever i am doing.

• edited June 2013
    Yes it has inproved my game, but i think that is down to playing regular, not that i play loads
    but before i signed up it was every now and then live.
    My aim is to play Newcastle spt out of my bank roll with out leaving myself skint.

PS im on course....shushhhhh
  • edited June 2013
    why aye tomo

Nice 1
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: How much have you learned/improved since you've been playing on Sky Poker?:
    why aye tomo Nice 1
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thanks mate hope i can meet you there..