You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

am i only beating a bluff?

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
rossybee16Small blind 20.0020.003850.00
 Big blind 40.0060.003980.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

poker69Call 40.00100.003525.00
GREENIENO_Fold    
mewillowsRaise 145.00245.003855.00
POKEY2011Fold    
rossybee16Fold    
 Call 105.00350.003875.00
poker69Fold    
Flop

• A

Bet 40.00390.003835.00
mewillowsRaise 255.00645.003600.00
 Call 215.00860.003620.00
Turn

Bet 40.00900.003580.00
mewillowsCall 40.00940.003560.00
River

• J

Check    
mewillowsBet 470.001410.003090.00
 All-in 3580.004990.000.00
mewillows?    

Comments

• edited June 2013
    this was the very first hand i was dealt so no reads or notes on the players as i had late regged.
  • edited June 2013
    Funky turn bet call. Funky hand.

I have no idea what is going on as played. Just call
  • edited June 2013
    KQ I suppose but 40.00 on turn!!why only 40.00?Anyone would call 40 into 900 pot.
  • edited June 2013
    It's a tough one.

Is he check raising all in on the river with a busted draw?
    Is he c/r all in on the river with a 'value' hand that we still beat with top 2?
    Is he c/r all in on the river with the nuts or essential nuts?

Probably not.
    Possibly.
    Yes.

We beat 2 of these. We lose, and thus exit the tournament, to the other. Read/noteless, possibly comes down to if we fancy a gamble or not. Though the 'G' word and with it still being early doors probably implies it should be a fold.

I think I'd still call though ;)

Edit- discard all this.
  • edited June 2013
    hmmm,

It was a £55 BH so the extreme overbet felt like he wanted it to look bluffy and i didnt know what i was actually beating.

A10,AJ,10J,QK,A9 were all beating me and i dont think they would put there tourney life on the line so soon. Remember i 3 bet them pre, raised their flop lead and bet the river.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: am i only beating a bluff?:
    hmmm, It was a £55 BH so the extreme overbet felt like he wanted it to look bluffy and i didnt know what i was actually beating. A10,AJ,10J,QK,A9 were all beating me and i dont think they would put there tourney life on the line so soon. Remember i 3 bet them pre, raised their flop lead and bet the river.
    Posted by mewillows
    For some reason (possibly a shandy too many tonight!) I thought you had top 2. Stupid beer goggles.

Now realising it's just top pair, it's a fold I think. So in answer to your question, yes I believe you are only really beating a bluff.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: am i only beating a bluff? : For some reason (possibly a shandy too many tonight!) I thought you had top 2. Stupid beer goggles. Now realising it's just top pair, it's a fold I think. So in answer to your question, yes I believe you are only really beating a bluff.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    wish iwas having a shandy. yes top pair and nut flush draw
  • edited June 2013
    id raise turn to get in stacks on river, jus callin looks far too weak fo rvillan to be able to bluff like this.. havin said that i doubt its a bluff players min bet to get to showdownn cheap or with drawing hands thinkin the'll they'll pay there own price to bink... in this case he most probally has it so defo fold, he neva has Ax so yea only beating a total bluff 
  • edited June 2013
    Check back river imo.
  • edited June 2013
    I raise turn as played i think its a puke fml fold. This is a weird low stake line that tilts the **** outta me because they almost always have the nuts. 
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah I'd raise the turn too but yeh puke fold river.
  • edited June 2013
    Check back river imo.
    Posted by BigHawk89

if you think your WAWB than you should call down and check back river
  • edited June 2013
    im in agreement that i should of raised the turn to charge them for drawing hands and/or check back the river. Rancid WAWB?
  • edited June 2013
    im in agreement that i should of raised the turn to charge them for drawing hands and/or check back the river. Rancid WAWB?
    Posted by mewillows

way ahead, way behind

Even though you say charge them for draw, what other hands could oppo have where your just exploiting yourself
    Are we so convinced that min bets are weak always after you have raised flop, got called and oppo mins again.

You have to be dam sure oppo doing this with one pr + draws

actually feels like a 2 pr/set or str even though we hold a blocker

fwiw think the min is either weak or monster

• edited June 2013
    I would fold as yes I think on river you're only beating a bluff, just a hunch though. KQ or JT being most likely i would guess...
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: am i only beating a bluff? : way ahead, way behind Even though you say charge them for draw, what other hands could oppo have where your just exploiting yourself Are we so convinced that min bets are weak always after you have raised flop, got called and oppo mins again. You have to be dam sure oppo doing this with one pr + draws actually feels like a 2 pr/set or str even though we hold a blocker fwiw think the min is either weak or monster
    Posted by rancid
    Its the check back on the river which made me value bet the river (which i instantly hated) as i think my hand was polarised to an Ax or A10 type of hand.  In the end i put them on a straight as small lead out on flop, calling my flop raise and small lead out on turn felt like they were chasing the more i look back at it.
    fwiw i folded
  • edited June 2013
    Hi m

Not looking at others so apologies if same stuff stated. Your opponent seems to show poor bet sizing throughout. However certainly kq fits the bill.Tbh you should raise his turn bet as you are allowing him pretty much a free card  to catch his draw whether it be straight or flush. Again a poor bet size on river by him but one you can't call in my opinion. Keep an eye on him and look to trap later. 

• edited June 2013
    Hi m Not looking at others so apologies if same stuff stated. Your opponent seems to show poor bet sizing throughout. However certainly kq fits the bill.Tbh you should raise his turn bet as you are allowing him pretty much a free card  to catch his draw whether it be straight or flush. Again a poor bet size on river by him but one you can't call in my opinion. Keep an eye on him and look to trap later.  PS you should really blank out guys name in all fairness when putting in clinic.
    Posted by profman15

ty for posting prof, his name is blanked out. check again sir
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: am i only beating a bluff? : ty for posting prof, his name is blanked out. check again sir
    Posted by mewillows
     Hi m
    Wow ur quick m8. I'd just noticed and edited my post submitted and yours was waiting for me. Sorry my mistake initially. Now I've read some others and notice it was a £55 buy- in so I'm favouring a more polarised approach fwiw. Personally still fold that river but now feel his bet sizing more as a tempt with a monster. Still think raise turn though, I feel, in case not. Maybe he will see this and tell us what he had.( doubt it though!)
  • edited June 2013
    I'd prefer to raise the turn and check back the river. River card is quite a nasty one. We can still get value from raising the turn. He looks like he has some weak showdown/draw hand when he leads 40 on the turn, by just calling, we're giving him a chance o hit that river so cheaply. For instance KQ got there cheaply, j10, AJ. A guy who plays the hand like he did would definately put it all in with AJ on this river, and maybe j10. Obv a weak player.
  • edited July 2013
    puke fold on the river because that flop was soooooooooooooooo good. try to get it in earlier!

• edited July 2013
    Pretty much nothing about that hand made sense the way the villain played it, I couldn't put him on any hand at all. As it turned out I guess he pretty much has to have the goods, but the minbets on each street and check/allin river... wtf?

Preflop and flop are fine IMO, the turn is bad because at this stage you have TP with a strong kicker, and the NFD- I'd be looking to make a stack committing bet where I'm reasonably sure I'm ahead. There's no draws that came in on the turn, so unless he setmined and hit, or has some funky 2 pair hand (both of which we have outs against) you're ahead. Get as much of the stacks in as you can.

As for the river, well I think you played it fine. Following the check you're entitled to try for value from a call with a weak A or possibly second pair, you could check behind I guess but I think that's kind of nitty, there could definitely be value in betting. The check raise is just so rarely happening on the river that bet/folding is acceptable IMO.
  • edited July 2013
    I would raise the turn to 600~ assuming the bets are blocker bets as you dominate most of the range of hands he would do that with.
  • edited July 2013
    good chance he has hit a set on the flop, and hoping you have an A

min raise to let you put the money in works on flop not turn, so tries the shove on the river.

basically wanting you to think he is bluffing throughout when he actually has it
  • edited July 2013
    Raise turn

If flat turn, check river.