You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folding aces pre

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
I was watching the show last night and a player tweeted that he folded aces pre on the bubble I think in the main event last night.My point is I can understand if its say like the wsop main event and your on the bubble for say 30.000$ but online events like last nights bounty hunter I think its wrong to fold AA on the bubble,Surely entering the main on here we all go out to win and yes its great to cash but I would never fold them pre in that situation.

If I was in a satellite to get a seat into a big event I probably would fold if I only needed 1 player to exit to gurantee the seat.

Would any of you fold AA pre ?

I understand some players all have different cash amounts but to me folding aces on the bubble in a on line torn is wrong.

EDIT...Actually they never win for me so I will always fold them pre lol.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Obv satellites are a different beast and sometimes we can/should fold them but I don't think I could ever fold AA pre in any MTT.

I'm 100% never doing it in any Sky MTT because they just aint big enough. Even if it was the WSOP ME bubble I wouldn't folding them going HU/3way, it would have to be like a 5way all in on the bubble of something like the WSOP ME to make me even consider it.
  • edited June 2013
    I could never ever fold aces in that spot. It would be different if it was the pure bubble of a dym or a satilite. I can make a case for folding aa then but never on the bubble of any mtt. 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding aces pre:
    Obv satellites are a different beast and sometimes we can/should fold them but I don't think I could ever fold AA pre in any MTT. I'm 100% never doing it in any Sky MTT because they just aint big enough. Even if it was the WSOP ME bubble I wouldn't folding them going HU/3way, it would have to be like a 5way all in on the bubble of something like the WSOP ME to make me even consider it.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Don't worry Paul 
    You'll never have to face this conundrum. :)
  • edited June 2013
    I'd never fold AA/KK pre, i'd consider folding AK/AQ, QQ/JJ to cash if min cash is enough x the BI and I think it's going to be vs a tight range and flipping.

That being said I played AK very different yesterday on the bubble, I 3 bet and got 4 bet, normally I'd shove here but I flatted and planned to play straight forward on the flop as his range would be tighter than usual. He insta shoved the 2 color low flop which I missed, I fold and he showed AA.

I got AK in with a 3bet shove after that against the a shorter stack, he showed AQ and almost busted me with a 1 card flush draw on the flop! He didn't though so it was all good =)
  • edited June 2013
    If somone said if you fold them aces I will give you $30,000 dollars if I had sat in for $300 than I would fold.
    If I had bought in for $10,000 than it's never a fold.

The only factor that would change this is how big our stack is, so if a double up makes up chip leader in a MTT top heavy at $9 million - than you never fold

But you also have to factor in the realsitic chance of actually hitting the FT for example.

Just about how much money you can win if you do fold, than folding just becomes +EV*(+Ce +Ec +E-MxC).......

• edited June 2013
    Who plays MTTs for min cash?

SHIP IT
  • edited June 2013
    Who plays MTTs for min cash?

More than you probably think.
  • edited June 2013

unless I hold a big chip stack in comparison to most and it was the bubble of a sat or DYM I would never be able to fold AA preflop. I might be tempted to fold KK and problem would fold QQ for sure.

• edited June 2013
    Who plays MTTs for min cash? SHIP IT
    Posted by calcalfold
    Hi C 

No offence but i see it constantly in low stakes mtt's especially deepstack mtt's. Players DO see a min cash as their aim once there is only a couple left to bubble. You can feel the tension for a relatively small amount. I think its something to do with the time they've played for in order to get to that position.

As for AA . Well i always play if the hand is strong enough as the rewards aren't enough here obviously but on the bubble at wsop i could see myself chickening out in order to get a cash instead of trying to accumulate chips.
    Satellite's are a different affair as the aim isn't to win but to survive isn't it? You need to see where you stand compared with other stacks. Its a judgement call in this case.
  • edited June 2013

Well if you are called having gone all-in with AA pre-flop, you only have an 85% chance of winning. Also there's nothing worse in poker than going out when you held AA, plus AA seem to be cursed half the time!

Now KK, that's a different story, fortune seems to favour the brave when you hold that pre-flop, certainly does in my exeriences!

• edited June 2013
    Well if you are called having gone all-in with AA pre-flop, you only have an 85% chance of winning. Also there's nothing worse in poker than going out when you held AA, plus AA seem to be cursed half the time! Now KK, that's a different story, fortune seems to favour the brave when you hold that pre-flop, certainly does in my exeriences!
    Posted by thefa1lacy
    I remember a few days back when I was holding KK, got raised all in by a chancer with A4 offsuit, and, yep yu guessed it, he hit his ace! haha bad times
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding aces pre : I remember a few days back when I was holding KK, got raised all in by a chancer with A4 offsuit, and, yep yu guessed it, he hit his ace! haha bad times
    Posted by courtswans
    Oh no! I suppose this is why they invented the term 'Variance!'