You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Super Roller £6 sat. Butchered turn?

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
simonlufcSmall blind 15.0015.001955.00XBig blind 30.0045.002795.00 Your hole cards810   lions86Fold    TwistfateFold    hhyftrftdrRaise 60.00105.001125.00jonjo75Fold    simonlufcFold    XCall 30.00135.002765.00Flop  4810   XCheck    hhyftrftdrBet 90.00225.001035.00XCall 90.00315.002675.00Turn  3   XBet 157.50472.502517.50hhyftrftdrCall 157.50630.00877.50River  K   XBet 450.001080.002067.50
Not played villain much but he is a regular around the site. Had lost a decent pot to him minutes before, hence my stack already being a bit depleted.

My thoughts....obviously flop pretty massive and its standard stuff so far (could maybe have bet more, granted).

It's the turn and river that I'm unsure about. Did think about shipping turn. But with top 2, plus the flush draw and position, felt I was in a very comfortable position. By calling, it leaves me with a close to pot jam for the river too.

River is pretty grim. Not only the flush but also K10 just overtook me. And he leads for about half my stack. Call and I'm wrong and I'm down to a very small stack. Fold and I leave myself with a reasonable jamming stack. Call and I'm ahead and I'm back to starting stack, give or take.

Decisions decisions.

Comments

• edited June 2013

Jam on turn ..........Simple

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Super Roller £6 sat. Butchered turn?:
    Jam on turn ..........Simple
    Posted by est1967
    Not sure it is as simple as that. I fold out all the draws if I shove the turn, unless its something like J9s. With only one card to come, plus a flush draw for myself, should I let him see the river for that price? On that basis though, should I be snap folding to the river lead when the obvious draw comes in?

If he had led the flop, or if I was playing deeper, it's an easy raise. 

• edited June 2013
    Mate its a satellite your not going to get better opportunities to double up.Hope you won the hand.

In a mtt yes maybe play the hand cautious but imo no way should you not jam on the turn with your stack in a sat.
  • edited June 2013
    It is a pretty grim spot. I dont mind flatting the turn at all.

Wierd line from villian to C/C flop then donk turn... can only think this is only cos he's worried you'll check back the turn alot. I think we're beat but probably not by a flush.

If I'm playing well, I fold, if I'm playing like I normally do I call ;)
  • edited June 2013
    Mate its a satellite your not going to get better opportunities to double up.Hope you won the hand. In a mtt yes maybe play the hand cautious but imo no way should you not jam on the turn with your stack in a sat.
    Posted by est1967
    Surely you'd be more cautious in a sat than a standard MTT where chip preservation is more important than building a massive stack? Not the other way round.
  • edited June 2013
    At the cost no iwouldnt mate,I don't see many better opps to double up so id jam,If lose sat again.Im not saying his play is bad its just what id do in that situation.

• edited June 2013
    Mate its a satellite your not going to get better opportunities to double up.Hope you won the hand. In a mtt yes maybe play the hand cautious but imo no way should you not jam on the turn with your stack in a sat.
    Posted by est1967
    If I jam the turn, what calls me to double me up? Like I said, if he is drawing to something, be it the straight or the flush (or both), he probably folds to a turn shove as he isn't getting a great price to call with only one card to come. If he has something like pocket 6's or 7s, I would fold those out as I can never really be bluffing for my stack on the turn, esp given the action.

To summarise, I think shoving the turn gives me less chance to double up. Letting him see the river for the price of his turn lead gives me a greater chance of a double up, but comes with added risk.

It's the old risk/reward innit!
  • edited June 2013
    Hi sir

top 2pr...i raise the flop bet x3. If called jam the turn. It is a satellite after all and tends to suit the aggressive who get back in the race quickly.
  • edited June 2013
    Hi sir top 2pr...i raise the flop bet x3. If called jam the turn. It is a satellite after all and tends to suit the aggressive who get back in the race quickly.
    Posted by profman15
    The OP bet the flop himself, so he couldn't raise.
  • edited June 2013
    I think i personally after he bets the turn no need to get tricky here just ship the turn.

a couple reasons why a ship turn

1st-a river card could kill your action for example if he got a king or 10 and comes another heart great for you but could scare opponent off, and you lose value from your hand.

2nd-if opponent is drawing to the spade flush for example they are settin their own price to get to river so if they miss you won`t get anymore money off them on the river but if you ship turn you still may get called by opponent on the draw or maybe even a king or ten which is great because they are not getting the odds if they are on the draw, they would also be making a mistake and that is what you want getting money as favourite and opponent making mistakes vs you.

and lastly by just calling the turn and a bad river as fallen it`s given you a tough decison for a big portion of your stack so i`m sticking with shipping turn for the above reasons just my opinion though.
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks for the opinions guys.

24 hours later and I'm still unsure how to play the turn haha. I can see why people suggest just shipping it. I probably would've taken the pot down there and then and thus still have been in contention for a Roller seat.

I think calling or shipping turn is a marginal decision either way. Calling keeps in the draws/bluffs but comes with the risk of being outdrawn. Shipping probably takes down the pot but maybe misses (full double up) value on so many river cards.

If anyone wants to know, he had J2 of spades and got there. I also stupidly paid off his river value bet and exited the tournament within the next orbit.

Try again tonight.
  • edited June 2013
    ul in the hand but one thing i picked up on you said by shipping turn it folds out draws, not always the case because as i said some players will gamble and call anywayz and if they do you got it in as a big favourite and you made the opponent make a mistake regardless of the result you would have played the hand perfectly imo.

but we all play different and I do get your reasoning for flatitng turn.