You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Enough is enough - RE: Whiney Promo Threads

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat
Just read some of other threads, there's a number of ideas out there.

And as for " But each promo shouldn't have to cater for EVERYone." - no I agree. But a promo that caters for far less than 1% of the players, and where you can name 50% of the winners before it starts, is a bad idea. It was a bad idea the first time, the second time, the third time and now the fourth time.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I really cba to spend more than 10mins on this, so here goes.

Why, every time a new promotion comes round, are tens of threads created about how it sucks, and how Sky should "sort it out"?

Every.
    Single.
    Time.

Here's an idea, how about we cut the whiney posts where we're just bashing on what's quite obviously a shocking promo...
    And start developing new, better suggestions for ones in the future. (inb4 people say they're already doing this)

I get it, you're upset that your 2 tabling poker sessions stand no chance of making anything in the next promotion. But each promo shouldn't have to cater for EVERYone. Why don't I see any threads about how there are way too many freerolls, or how the new rakeback system favours smaller volume players over grinders?
    Only ones where we're bashing on promos aimed at big volume players, huh?

There's no balance here. No objective reasoning, and it's incredible droll, tedious, and repetative.

Make your ideas a no-brainer for Sky to adopt it as a new promo. Because all I see, EVERY freakin' week, are streams of posts complaining about how you hate X or Y, while offering no constructive criticism whatsoever.
    OR, the ideas are just bogus!

Sky arn't running this promo because they're out of ideas...

They're running it, because this promo WORKS.

Why else do you think that they've ran it 4 times in the past 8 weeks? It's a rake generating BEAST of a promo. If it aint broke, don't fix it. And the promo works like a DREAM for Sky. Tables start to run constantly with regs battling for top spots, and even a few recreational players at the high limit try to squeek into the top 20, which causes games to boot-up and run on a regular basis.

For the love of poker, stop with the needless, dull, "I hate this promo" speeches. WE GET IT. Be pro-active and find a solution, or at LEAST phrase your disappointment in a civil, reasonable manner ffs. Brainstorm new ways to tackle a promo that isn't aimed at you, and find ones that benefit the player, and the site. (MORE than the one currently in progress!)

We NEED, desperately, an emotional disconnect between "What are the ways in which this promo benefits the players and the site?", and "This promo sucks, because it's not beneficial to me. Sort it out please."

gg2all. ty4reading.
  • edited June 2013
    I attempted to suggest different things, infact the last time i gave people a thread for exactly that. I started the thread yesterday so not sure if this is aimed at me or not. 

I don't mind rewarding players who play alot. But i personally feel that this current promo isn't good for the long term goal of sky. 

The last few haven't been too bad, but the ones like this one comming up, encourages people to stop playing NL10-40 and drop to 50 tables of NL4 and hit fold. Eventually tables are full of players from NL10+ at NL4, that isnt;t good for your average NL4 rec. Expessially when tables stop spawning. 

Its a food chain, and when you kill the bottom of the chain it will filter up, I've spoken with NL20/30 regs regular, many of them complain they cant get a table running alot of the time. This is even worse on these promo weekends. 

If NL20/30 dies, higher levels will stop seeing people move up, thus it will eventually kill your action at NL100/200 over time. 

I hope i have worded this well. 

As i say i have no problems at all with rewarding mass table grinders. 
  • edited June 2013
    Stop trying to convince me (and/or others) that this current promo blows. I already know/think that.

Explain to Sky why it's bad, and what improvements you would make if you were at the helm when it comes to releasing new promotions.
    Discussing amongst yourselves that you all have the same concensus that a particular recurring promo sucks might feel good, but it does next to nothing with regards to making some meaningful changes that you want to see.

Some suggestions have been okay, but still have many flaws, or don't benefit the site running the promo enough to make it worth their while.
    As said, make your suggestion so good, they'll have no choice but to use it.
  • edited June 2013
    Sky arn't running this promo because they're out of ideas...

They're running it, because this promo WORKS.

Huge +1 to this.

If they ran a new promo and it didnt work then the bosses would look at the stats and be like so why did u do that when this promo clearly works and makes us more dollar. and heads would roll
  • edited June 2013
    LOLOL, The guys on a forum tilt lol....

Just don't read the threads SIMPLE, A bit like you.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Enough is enough - RE: Whiney Promo Threads:
    LOLOL, The guys on a forum tilt lol.... Just don't read the threads SIMPLE, A bit like you.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    Some of us care about the community, the site, or it's player base. Personally I'd like to see the site succeed, or at the very least it's player base have a more enjoyable experience (not to mention I'd love some better promos for me too, obviously). Combined with a bit of boredom and a dash of as you put it, "Forum tilt", this thread wasn't written to shut people up, or reduce the amount of discussion around any criticisms players might have. In fact, the exact opposite.

If I genuinely didn't care, or wanted to act selfishly, I'd be spending every minute that I'm writing these posts working on my game, grinding, or heck, JKo.
  • edited June 2013
    It seems like we are on the same page Smitalos. 

Although other than explaining to Sky what the problem is - by putting it on the forum so they can see alot of us feel the same why, what other way can we do? 

On a follow up note what promotion do you think would be good for these mass multitablers, and what promotion would be good for you high stake guys? I cant imagine 5 BIs is worth grinding a full week more than u normally would for. 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Enough is enough - RE: Whiney Promo Threads:
    I really cba to spend more than 10mins on this, so here goes. Why, every time a new promotion comes round, are tens of threads created about how it sucks, and how Sky should "sort it out"? Every. Single. Time. Here's an idea, how about we cut the whiney posts where we're just bashing on what's quite obviously a shocking promo... And start developing new, better suggestions for ones in the future. (inb4 people say they're already doing this) I get it, you're upset that your 2 tabling poker sessions stand no chance of making anything in the next promotion. But each promo shouldn't have to cater for EVERYone. Why don't I see any threads about how there are way too many freerolls, or how the new rakeback system favours smaller volume players over grinders? Only ones where we're bashing on promos aimed at big volume players, huh? There's no balance here. No objective reasoning, and it's incredible droll, tedious, and repetative. Make your ideas a no-brainer for Sky to adopt it as a new promo. Because all I see, EVERY freakin' week, are streams of posts complaining about how you hate X or Y, while offering no constructive criticism whatsoever. OR, the ideas are just bogus! Sky arn't running this promo because they're out of ideas... They're running it, because this promo WORKS. Why else do you think that they've ran it 4 times in the past 8 weeks? It's a rake generating BEAST of a promo. If it aint broke, don't fix it. And the promo works like a DREAM for Sky. Tables start to run constantly with regs battling for top spots, and even a few recreational players at the high limit try to squeek into the top 20, which causes games to boot-up and run on a regular basis. For the love of poker, stop with the needless, dull, "I hate this promo" speeches. WE GET IT. Be pro-active and find a solution, or at LEAST phrase your disappointment in a civil, reasonable manner ffs. Brainstorm new ways to tackle a promo that isn't aimed at you, and find ones that benefit the player, and the site. (MORE than the one currently in progress!) We NEED, desperately, an emotional disconnect between "What are the ways in which this promo benefits the players and the site?", and "This promo sucks, because it's not beneficial to me. Sort it out please." gg2all. ty4reading.
    Posted by Smitalos

Surprised that you posted this tbh without looking through the forum for threads that ARE suggesting alternatives. We all know the score, its short term gain for the site but they are ignoring the long term issues this will create. Hence the outpouring of grief. 

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Enough is enough - RE: Whiney Promo Threads : Some of us care about the community, the site, or it's player base. Personally I'd like to see the site succeed, or at the very least it's player base have a more enjoyable experience (not to mention I'd love some better promos for me too, obviously). Combined with a bit of boredom and a dash of as you put it, "Forum tilt", this thread wasn't written to shut people up, or reduce the amount of discussion around any criticisms players might have. In fact, the exact opposite. If I genuinely didn't care, or wanted to act selfishly, I'd be spending every minute that I'm writing these posts working on my game, grinding, or heck, BEASTING PERCY.
    Posted by Smitalos
  • edited June 2013
    It seems like we are on the same page Smitalos.  Although other than explaining to Sky what the problem is - by putting it on the forum so they can see alot of us feel the same why, what other way can we do?  On a follow up note what promotion do you think would be good for these mass multitablers, and what promotion would be good for you high stake guys? I cant imagine 5 BIs is worth grinding a full week more than u normally would for. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Singing from the same Hymn sheet? :D

+1 op, promo/rakeback threads are the worst.
  • edited June 2013

lol what was in yer weetabix this morning smitalos haha

I know you care which is sweet, it's all gravey.

Maybe just JKo or somethin

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Enough is enough - RE: Whiney Promo Threads:
    I really cba to spend more than 10mins on this...
    Posted by Smitalos
    Holy messiah, you type fast!!!

Seriously, if you wrote all that in under ten minutes you must have a glowing red keyboard and fingers worn to the bone!

I have my suggestion on what's "wrong" with Sky's promotions. There is room for rake races and other promotions but there seems to be no coherent structure for them, with reagrds to when they occur and how they're marketed. I'll re-post something I wrote in the Don's original thread a few weeks ago. It seems pointless writing it all again as my thoughts are unchanged.
  • edited June 2013
    I think one of the problems with Sky's promotion strategy is the haphazard nature of some of them.

By that I mean that there are too few recurring, short-period promotions which can be marketed on a long-term basis. Promotions at the moment seem to appear, take place and are then forgotten. If more were given the chance to become established, that would surely be a good idea.

There are examples which, to my mind, could clearly be used as an incentive to new players to join and keep playing if they were a constant, consistent presence. The most striking of these would seem to be the Golden Ticket promotion because new players DON'T NEED TO BE WINNING PLAYERS to benefit from the promotion and it DOESN'T DEMAND HIGH VOLUME for a chance to win. It also benefits the existing player base. If this ran with a smaller budget on a weekly or monthly basis, it could be promoted alongside the £10 tournament token and 100% deposit bonus as a long-term incentive to new players while not excluding existing players.

Another great example would be the Battle of the Planets promotion on Stars. I'll be starting a new thread on this shortly because I'm a big believer than improving SNG traffic will improve overall Sky Poker traffic in the long-run. Again, this is a short-period, long-term promotion rewarding low volume as well as high, although it does reward performance and not participation.

So my major gripe is that these promotions don't have a constant presence. Why not make Cash Champ a regular fixture over the last week of every month, allowing it to be promoted as such? Why not have a SNG promotion that runs on a weekly basis?

I'd love to think someone from Sky will read this... but it's 9pm on a Friday so I doubt any are around.

Edited slightly from a few weeks ago.
  • edited June 2013
    Sky have a television channel to advertise these things, so why they don't have a regular system of promotions is beyond me. The first week of every month could be Golden ticket week and the last could be Cash Champ week. Promote that on the telly box, keep it that way for a year and use the time in between to test out other promotions...

At the moment on the telly you still see repeats advertising promotions that happened once, several months ago and never happened again. Why not advertise continuing, long-term promotions?

I don't have a problem with cash champ. I do have a problem with this big deal nonsense. I have a bigger problem with promotions not being regular and recurring, if they're successful.
  • edited June 2013
    OMG more whiney threads about people whining :)

Suggestion --I've said it before

don't run a cash promo where it encourages people to fold pre

base it on flops seen

Everyone a winner

The End.

• edited June 2013
    if they can I think it would be good if they can do a promo most hands won after a flop of course stop the nittyness.

don`t know if sky could do this but yet again just another idea to think about.
  • edited June 2013

Interesting reading everyones suggestions and opinions. Im two years on the site and I play low stakes dym omaha. My play this year has halved from my first year. The reason is because now I play on other sites also instead of just playing on sky. Why? because traffic is so low.

Im not one to complain about promos but when I read them I do find that they are based more on how much you play rather than how well you perform.

However sky is and has been my favourite site for the last 2 years. I think the community spirit and the fact sky listen (might not always act) means alot to me.

Omaha is my game and earlier this year JockBMW ran a dym win streak competition which personally I really enjoyed but I think interest in it probably dropped after a week or so.

I'd love to see some sort of monthly league table for dym players. I'd like it to be based on your performance (gain points every time you cash) and how much you play (however cap it at say your best consecutive 100 games over a month).

Im not sure about the stakes but possibly some very marginal scoring should be introduced based on the stakes that you are playing. I'd like to think the highest stakes dym games are very marginally rewarded but still give the lowest stakes players a fair chance.

Interested to see what skys and other peoples thoughts are on this? Apologies if someone has already suggested something similar as I havent read all the posts.

Ger

• edited June 2013
    Interesting reading everyones suggestions and opinions. Im two years on the site and I play low stakes dym omaha. My play this year has halved from my first year. The reason is because now I play on other sites also instead of just playing on sky. Why? because traffic is so low. Im not one to complain about promos but when I read them I do find that they are based more on how much you play rather than how well you perform. However sky is and has been my favourite site for the last 2 years. I think the community spirit and the fact sky listen (might not always act) means alot to me. Omaha is my game and earlier this year JockBMW ran a dym win streak competition which personally I really enjoyed but I think interest in it probably dropped after a week or so. I'd love to see some sort of monthly league table for dym players. I'd like it to be based on your performance (gain points every time you cash) and how much you play (however cap it at say your best consecutive 100 games over a month). Im not sure about the stakes but possibly some very marginal scoring should be introduced based on the stakes that you are playing. I'd like to think the highest stakes dym games are very marginally rewarded but still give the lowest stakes players a fair chance. Interested to see what skys and other peoples thoughts are on this? Apologies if someone has already suggested something similar as I havent read all the posts. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    I would agree with all of that.
    Doubt it would happen though as Sky wouldn't benefit in any way.
    Judging by your record we would all be playing for second place though! :)
  • edited June 2013
    Interesting reading everyones suggestions and opinions. Im two years on the site and I play low stakes dym omaha. My play this year has halved from my first year. The reason is because now I play on other sites also instead of just playing on sky. Why? because traffic is so low. Im not one to complain about promos but when I read them I do find that they are based more on how much you play rather than how well you perform. However sky is and has been my favourite site for the last 2 years. I think the community spirit and the fact sky listen (might not always act) means alot to me. Omaha is my game and earlier this year JockBMW ran a dym win streak competition which personally I really enjoyed but I think interest in it probably dropped after a week or so. I'd love to see some sort of monthly league table for dym players. I'd like it to be based on your performance (gain points every time you cash) and how much you play (however cap it at say your best consecutive 100 games over a month). Im not sure about the stakes but possibly some very marginal scoring should be introduced based on the stakes that you are playing. I'd like to think the highest stakes dym games are very marginally rewarded but still give the lowest stakes players a fair chance. Interested to see what skys and other peoples thoughts are on this? Apologies if someone has already suggested something similar as I havent read all the posts. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl

+1
    It was Jock's & Tikay's effort and promotion that got me into PLO8.
    Makes a great change from the normal DYM's i usually play.
  • edited June 2013
    Well the prizes can vary. I'd like to think sky benefit from more players playing on the site. Lets say the top 20 on the leaderboard go into a private freeroll. Something small.

For me personally I like am aim so in this case finishing as high up the leaderboard as possible each month. However to avoid the same players winning the prizes I think the suggestion of a private freeroll gives numerous players a chance to cash and not just the top of the leaderboard.

Ger
  • edited June 2013
    Yea op, because nobody has suggested alternatives.

Good grief!

My suggesttion is still the best for getting more custom.

Fix the naffing software. IT is by far the worst software out of all the poker skins.

Its only the fact the standard of play is so shocking that most people actually stay here.

It wouldnt take much

The facility to modify table size
    A notes field that actually works
    auto top up
    a few different skins and choice of personalised avatars

Job done.
  • edited June 2013
    Yea op, because nobody has suggested alternatives. Good grief! My suggesttion is still the best for getting more custom. Fix the naffing software. IT is by far the worst software out of all the poker skins. Its only the fact the standard of play is so shocking that most people actually stay here. It wouldnt take much The facility to modify table size A notes field that actually works auto top up a few different skins and choice of personalised avatars Job done.
    Posted by calcalfold
    They are getting there eventually with this. It's getting better with each update on the beta testing.

• edited June 2013
    CCF, these are all being done/have already been done and are currently in Beta testing. The new software has re-sizable tables, better note taking facilities and auto top up.  Imo the most important thing is by far the bet sizing error which is 'Raise X' instead of 'Raise to X' but that's also fixed in the new software. Miniview was fine and did the job anyway, dunno why people are so bothered about re-sizing.

Meh, who cares about skins/avatars (although there are new avatars). They haven't said this, but I'd be shocked if the new software hadn't gone live in one form or another before September.

Think about it though, how many recs who are just having a bit of fun, a bit of a splash about could care less about how good the note taking is, or the ability to auto top-up/resize cos they probably won't be multi tabling or at least not 6+. Better software might attract regs but most recs probably couldn't care less, they just want a bit of free money when they sign up (they get it), maybe a deposit bonus (they get it), the abililty to play poker straight away as soon as they login (not always the case, depending on your game of choice) and some little treats every now and then like Golden Tickets, Sky giving you a few squid on your birthday (which they do), a couple of quid back each month in C4P etc.
  • edited June 2013
    Sky give you money on your birthday? I mustnt have aged in two years so!
  • edited June 2013
    not sure what tilts me more..!! threads where everyone else needlessly moans or your needless threads moaning about everyone else moaning..!! lolololololol
  • edited July 2013
    Sky give you money on your birthday? I mustnt have aged in two years so!
    Posted by gerardirl
    Its random - ive spent 3 birthdays on sky got something once i think. 
    The other years i'd seen others saying they got a birthday gift promo around my time. 

I have no complaints, with that specific promo if i dont get it im happy, if i get it im very happy. 
  • edited July 2013
    . Its only the fact the standard of play is so shocking that most people actually stay here.
    Posted by calcalfold
    b*ll*cks

it's because the standard of forum post is so cr*p

i should know - most of them are mine

although you are coming close