You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

decisions decisions decisons!

edited December 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy

Rite so ive been playing poker for a wile now, i play all types sng,mtts, and cash. i am starting to think that i want to concentrate on 1 thing! but the decions is hard mtts is a big big big grind! so im finking sng or cash.....but the swings in cash are jsut ridiculous. so i was just wondering whats you guys think?

ty

Comments

• edited December 2009
      The problem is you are asking the wrong question. If you are to concentrate on one discipline then it should be the one that you enjoy the most and/or have most aptitude for.

If you wish to do this for a living then it has to be cash, that is the best way to make money if you are good enough and have the BR to sustain the bad runs. STTs are a real grinder and not overly rewarding for the time and buyin spent, so unless you multitable at high levels not much really to be made there. The MTTs have the big payout to buyin ratio but the variance is very high and you can go ages without cashing but one big finish can more than make up for it. If you are after fun and banter in the chatbox then the way to go is the deepstacks.

But like i said you need to know why you are playing poker and what you are best at before you can consider any advice you receive
  • edited December 2009

How are the swings in cash ridiculous? I dnt understand, I havent read Talons response yet but it shud be good advice if his previous posts r anything to go by.

The swings in cash rnt that big, ur more likely to succeed at cash than mtts. Every hand in cash is an event.

I wud advise if u r unsure, play cash, ur not playing with chips, ur playing with real money, if ur asked to call 20 quid, its 20 pound coins, not chips.

To win a tourny u need to be lucky, to win at cash, u need to be good!

R u good?

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    Agree with the OP re swings in cash games. You can play patiently all night and lose your stack on one unlucky out. This used to happen to me a lot so I gave up playing cash - I just realised it wasn't for me. I didn't have the temperament and wasn't actually very good at it to be honest.

Don't dismiss MTTs. I play them exclusively. When you hit a bad patch - and it WILL happen - it doesn't hurt as much as when you play cash. Also, there is just so much dead money in a MTT. For example, in a typical 100-player event, if you didn't turn up at all you would probably finish in the top 50 - i.e. half the money at least is just dead and will eventually be shared out amongst those who know MTT strategy. MTTs have paid for my car and my conservatory so you can make money at them - it's just not a regular predictable income. Could be 200 profit one month, 1500 the next. But in 4 years of playing MTTs, I think I've only recorded three months of losses.

Horses for courses - your call.