You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i have just shipped it right away.

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic

the villain was a tight aggro and is a reg on the nl10p.
when he reraised preflop made the call knowing I am in position but was only really meant to set mine the 1010.
on the flop itself I had only 1 hand that I could see that he would hold a set that hand being JJ so tried to raise hoping he would put me on a set.

Cash_Daddy Small blind £0.05 £0.05 £11.31
xBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.04
jonjo44 Big blind  £0.10 £0.25 £7.90
  Your hole cards

craigcu12 Raise  £0.30 £0.55 £20.89
jonjo44 Fold     
GB124 Fold     
Cash_Daddy Fold     
xRaise  £1.00 £1.55 £8.04
craigcu12 Call  £0.80 £2.35 £20.09
Flop

• J

xBet  £2.35 £4.70 £5.69
craigcu12 Raise  £4.90 £9.60 £15.19
xRaise  £5.10 £14.70 £0.59
craigcu12 Call  £2.55 £17.25 £12.64

Comments

• edited July 2013
    would shipping it right away have looked more likely that I hold a set.
  • edited July 2013
    Difficult one mate ,If he is a nit theres a very very good chance he has hit his set so jamming may be wrong although you have outs for st8.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have just shipped it right away.:
    would shipping it right away have looked more likely that I hold a set.
    Posted by craigcu12
    hmmmm I'm not sure.  Think if you shipped it, it'd look more like a draw. whats wrong with calling for a turn?
  • edited July 2013
    Would you jam it thinking he could be playing AA/KK in that position?
  • edited July 2013
    I'd just flat the flop. You have a hand that could already be the best hand, and outs to what could be the best hand but when you raise, you can't raise fold, it has to be because you're happy to get it in, and if you get it in, you'll be in bad shape all the time, even more so if the villian is a nit.

If you are gonna raise, then I'd be shoving after how big the pot already is because you want to have some FE and you won't have it by raising to that size, and then when you do you HAVE to call off the rest anyway, so you might aswell stick it in yourself and give yourself max FE.

Having said all that, he's full potted the flop and you're probably fooked no matter what you do, you're probably always gonna be in bad shape and not getting the right price to draw to the straight.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have just shipped it right away.:
    Would you jam it thinking he could be playing AA/KK in that position?
    Posted by est1967
    this was a one of those board where he was almost certain to have AA-QQ because having seen me raise UTG he would already be putting me on a strong hand and I think this villain knows what he is doing so when he does a raise preflop he must be on something good.
    when I saw how high all the cards are and how wet the board is a pot sized bet would be throwing money away if he didn't have a hand such as QQ-AA so I was starting to consider if he could put me on a set but as lambert180 has said the size of my raise was not big and so it was probably an easy call, also he probably was then thinking I am scared being the reason fo such a small raise so a jam was probably better because I knew that I am behind but as I had the straight draw I might aswell semi bluff.
  • edited July 2013
    Personally id call down and deffo see a turn card and hope you don't hit set.. I think his range is def 99,10,jj Maybe AK,KQ depending on player.Its strange he keeps raising small like pre then on the flop but im saying he may well have the same as you 10s