You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK late on in MTT, Donk pot bet on the flop

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
After i've min raised opponent donk bets pot on the flop, which i've totally whiffed.

How would you play this here? Any argument for a raise/ shove?

Hand 2, No way we can ever call here is therE?
biggunne15 Small blind  500.00 500.00 33367.50
thomson111 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 19052.50
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

tiltswtch Fold     
TyrionL Fold     
LARSON7 Raise  2000.00 3500.00 17654.50
biggunne15 Fold     
thomson111 Call  1000.00 4500.00 18052.50
Flop

thomson111 Bet  2000.00 6500.00 16052.50
LARSON7 Fold     
thomson111 Muck     
thomson111 Win  4500.00  20552.50
thomson111 Return  2000.00 0.00
biggunne15 Small blind  500.00 500.00 35867.50
thomson111 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 22552.50
  Your hole cards
  • A

tiltswtch Fold     
TyrionL Fold     
LARSON7 Raise  2000.00 3500.00 14154.50
biggunne15 Fold     
thomson111 All-in  22552.50 26052.50 0.00
LARSON7 Fold     
thomson111 Muck     
thomson111 Win  4500.00  4500.00
thomson111 Return  21552.50 0.00 26052.50

Comments

• edited July 2013
  • edited July 2013
    Hi L

Hand 1 19 bb's....think a shove pre is best option here.

Hand 2 csi =10 ie 16 bb's. Fine to raise but fold flop in my opinion.
  • edited July 2013

I prob would shove 1-15 bigs, with AK, extend that to 20 bb?

• edited July 2013
  • edited July 2013
    im open shoving 10-15 bbs, anything above i min raise.
  • edited July 2013
    I'd find it very hard not to ship AK otf hand 1, just because we have 2 overs, might be ahead if called anyway, and I expect him to fold a bunch. It's probably bad though as he prob has top set. Jamming pre would be lolbad

hand 2 imo 16bb is way too big to open ship pre w/ no antes. min raise/fold works for me

Ugh. Looking back @ the A4s hand, I might open ship pre. Usually I'd advocate min open/folding but our hand is quite strong, and while I don't like open/calling off, I think it's probably close between raise/folding and shipping. If we ship, it's possible that we still get called by worse because this is a sky donkament, and we still pick up roughly 10% when they fold. But ugh with no antes and 16bb, I think the risk is slightly too high compared to the reward. With ante's it's a nobrainer but I'm not sure if we're picking up enough when they just fold, when on sky they're probably just folding way too much vs a steal anyway so yeah I just like mr/fold
  • edited July 2013
    Hand one, it's a small bet and you're in position- you could float one off or jam over the top, but I hate folding. That little donk lead could mean absolutely anything, unless he's hit a set you're in reasonable shape still and he probably folds a lot of hands. Jamming is my preferred option.

Hand 2, just fold it. You took your shot, he fired back, get out of there. 16 bigs is so borderline for open shoving, I would take that one shot but next time I'd go for the open shove. You're probably ahead with A4, but you're never far ahead- unless he happens to have A3/A2, you're never THAT far ahead, and can easily be a long way behind to a lot (any pair, any bigger A). Played it fine.
  • edited July 2013
    Hand 1 Jam pre. It's a cardinal sin to raise fold with 20bb especially with such a premium hand. 

Hand 2 Jam Pre. You have an ace and 7bb. Jam it and lol when villian has AK. 
  • edited July 2013
    Hand 1 - Fine, ul but the right fold I think.  I don't like jamming 19BB pre here.

Hand 2 - Jam pre
  • edited July 2013
    both perfectly played. 

Not sure why people are open shoveing 19BB with Ak. slight overkill imo 
  • edited July 2013
    hand 1, fine pre, call flop

hand 2, if the blinds are pains just jam. if they are passive then just mr fold. 
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: AK late on in MTT, Donk pot bet on the flop:
    both perfectly played.  Not sure why people are open shoveing 19BB with Ak. slight overkill imo 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Because you won't get a call from 9 10 in the BB who binks top pair and forces us to fold a premium hand to a single flop donk bet ;)

It would be an oversized shove, granted, but you'd be surprised what might snap us off...
  • edited July 2013
    hand 1 - shoving pre is just lol
    probs flat flop - see turn

hand 2 - m/r folding is fine - if you have dynamic between u and bb then you can consider calling if you think bb is so wide
    jamming btn with a4 is just lol

• edited July 2013
    Hi guys

I keep seeing lolbad, I wouldn't etc but shall we try to give a reason too. Personally I've seen aces up, a player on YouTube shoving 20 bbs and he's successful at the game so maybe considerations like av stack size needs to betaken into account. We are supposed to get solutions in these forums that help us. I'm not a particularly good player but some answers from what I'd say we're good players on the site aren't really explaining themselves well and are at times a little deprecating to others opinions without a good reason.
    Personally for instance I don't see anything wrong with shove 20 BH's as
    1) if iwait until 10 bbs , I will probably need to shove again in the next three orbits once I've min raised in a pot and made a ctn bet say.
    2) I have a lot of FEq v a lot of stack sizes. 
    3) if I do double up then I will have a stack big enough to play some marginal hands and possibly hit disguised monsters.
    4) I've seen in books on charts ai ranges for a csi of 8 and less. This is equivalent to 12 bbs. Now some of these hands and the hands that should call are pretty precarious shall we say though mathematically correct. I must admit if I can see one of the players left will deffo call as he been a station throughout then I may chicken out( let's call it a read shall we). 
    Without good explanations us poorer players will be unsure in marginal places. 
    This is an observation and amongst them are excellent posts eg borinloner who tries to explain why whether you agree or not. 
    So c'mon eh guys I and others need your help.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi guys I keep seeing lolbad, I wouldn't etc but shall we try to give a reason too. Personally I've seen aces up, a player on YouTube shoving 20 bbs and he's successful at the game so maybe considerations like av stack size needs to betaken into account. We are supposed to get solutions in these forums that help us. I'm not a particularly good player but some answers from what I'd say we're good players on the site aren't really explaining themselves well and are at times a little deprecating to others opinions without a good reason. Personally for instance I don't see anything wrong with shove 20 BH's as 1) if iwait until 10 bbs , I will probably need to shove again in the next three orbits once I've min raised in a pot and made a ctn bet say. 2) I have a lot of FEq v a lot of stack sizes.  3) if I do double up then I will have a stack big enough to play some marginal hands and possibly hit disguised monsters. 4) I've seen in books on charts ai ranges for a csi of 8 and less. This is equivalent to 12 bbs. Now some of these hands and the hands that should call are pretty precarious shall we say though mathematically correct. I must admit if I can see one of the players left will deffo call as he been a station throughout then I may chicken out( let's call it a read shall we).  Without good explanations us poorer players will be unsure in marginal places.  This is an observation and amongst them are excellent posts eg borinloner who tries to explain why whether you agree or not.  So c'mon eh guys I and others need your help.
    Posted by profman15
    soz lol
    I only have questions

What range of hands are we shoving the btn with @17bb

do the blinds never play back at the button

are you shoving to give blinds easy folds or tough folds

---

by default are you shoving 17BB on btn with AA/KK/QQ/JJ/10'S

why is this good ?

How are villians ever making a mistake if we are shoving ?

Are you advocating shoving a narrow range or wide ?

What are you expecting to be called by if your shoving ?

• edited July 2013
    In answer to your questions (profman, not Rancid)...

There's a massive difference between shoving 20xBB and shoving 10xBB and just because we don't do it here doesn't mean we can't do it in different situations (like when someone has raised in front of us) or when we have 14xBB or w/e. It's not a case of shove 20xBB or shove 10xBB and there's no inbetween.

Why would we want FE in this spot? If we're shoving AK with 20xBB just to get folds, what a waste of AK that would be. We may want FE when we 3bet shove AK for instance so we can just pick up 4-5xBB risk free rather than take a 60/40 v JT or a flip v 77s but in this case there's only 1.5xBB to win so it's not worth just wasting AK for that imo.

The risk just doesn't warrant the reward imo. Massive generalisation here but it's true for the most part... the problem with shoving/calling or ranges is that firstly they generally allow for antes and secondly virtually no1 on Sky (certainly not in small stakes BHs) or even bad players on any site will be playing anywhere near a 'correct' range to shove/call.  For instance, if someone is shoving 10xBB on the button and they're doing it as wide as they 'should' be, and we're in the BB then we can/should call with say A8o.... BUT very few players will call that wide (unless they're just the bounty maniacs) and very few players shove as wide as they 'should' anyway, so on Sky calling off a 10xBB shove in that spot is gonna be really bad most of the time. Obv this is all just about adjusting... one player might shove in that spot and we know it's an easy call with KQ, another player might shove that spot and it's the easiest fold in the world with AT. Generally speaking though (apart from bounty chasers) people don't shove wide enough and don't call light enough.

So in summary, I think they're both bad shoves cos if we shoev 20xBB with AK, then we get LOADS of worse hands to fold that would have called a raise that we have crushed like AQ, AJ, AT, A9, KQ, KJ, KT. When we get called we'll be flipping practically 100% of the time and we're the one who is the underdog all so we can stael 1.5xBB.

Likewise with A4, if we get called, it'll never be by KQ, it'll be by bigger aces (really bad) or PPs where we have 1 overcard (really bad). I'd rather shove 9Ts in the A4 spot (but I wouldn't be open shoving that either).

For this reason, I think minraising is miles better because we still have the chance of stealing the 1.5xBB which I think will happen often, we can minraise/fold and still have a stack to do something with, we can take it away on loads of flops if we do get called cos most will be playing fit or fold at this stage.
  • edited July 2013
    In answer to your questions (profman, not Rancid)... There's a massive difference between shoving 20xBB and shoving 10xBB and just because we don't do it here doesn't mean we can't do it in different situations (like when someone has raised in front of us) or when we have 14xBB or w/e. It's not a case of shove 20xBB or shove 10xBB and there's no inbetween. Why would we want FE in this spot? If we're shoving AK with 20xBB just to get folds, what a waste of AK that would be. We may want FE when we 3bet shove AK for instance so we can just pick up 4-5xBB risk free rather than take a 60/40 v JT or a flip v 77s but in this case there's only 1.5xBB to win so it's not worth just wasting AK for that imo. The risk just doesn't warrant the reward imo. Massive generalisation here but it's true for the most part... the problem with shoving/calling or ranges is that firstly they generally allow for antes and secondly virtually no1 on Sky (certainly not in small stakes BHs) or even bad players on any site will be playing anywhere near a 'correct' range to shove/call.  For instance, if someone is shoving 10xBB on the button and they're doing it as wide as they 'should' be, and we're in the BB then we can/should call with say A8o.... BUT very few players will call that wide (unless they're just the bounty maniacs) and very few players shove as wide as they 'should' anyway, so on Sky calling off a 10xBB shove in that spot is gonna be really bad most of the time. Obv this is all just about adjusting... one player might shove in that spot and we know it's an easy call with KQ, another player might shove that spot and it's the easiest fold in the world with AT. Generally speaking though (apart from bounty chasers) people don't shove wide enough and don't call light enough. So in summary, I think they're both bad shoves cos if we shoev 20xBB with AK, then we get LOADS of worse hands to fold that would have called a raise that we have crushed like AQ, AJ, AT, A9, KQ, KJ, KT. When we get called we'll be flipping practically 100% of the time and we're the one who is the underdog all so we can stael 1.5xBB. Likewise with A4, if we get called, it'll never be by KQ, it'll be by bigger aces (really bad) or PPs where we have 1 overcard (really bad). For this reason, I think minraising is miles better because we still have the chance of stealing the 1.5xBB which I think will happen often, we can minraise/fold and still have a stack to do something with, we can take it away on loads of flops if we do get called cos most will be playing fit or fold at this stage.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I play A LOT of MTTs and I can safely say that people will call with drawable cards too.  J10, 67s. KJ, KQ, QJ, 109s... all of which we are happy to see pop up for a DU.  We cant min-raise fold a suited ace with 15bb.  Youre wasting chips if you get called and miss completely and who knows if you'l get dealt another hand of that quality until youre down to 6bb and people will call you with anything.

Easy shove with the A4.  Pick up the blinds 90%.  The other 10% im happy to gamble for my tournament life on a suited ace as people are not a nitty as you think they are! Youve got plenty of opportunites to hit a straight and flush if they do have you dominated. Play for the win not just survival.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi R

Well the shove/calling charts i have are mathematically based and even i, as an ex maths teacher, am reluctant to shove certain hands that they suggest. Sky, esp lower stakes, does seem to get loose calls and this fact, based with some advice from a successful player lets me shove say AK, TT+ or as a steal after a min raise.I can/will widen this range according to position. Now im not saying its written in stone by myself. Certain player types i'd be more tempted with than others etc. Other times i will min raise and play a pot. My game isn't rigid though i do like the maths of poker. 

i'm not about to shove marginal hands  but i'm not prepared to wait until a reach a stage and then wait for a hand that fits the chart. Its only what i saw on youtube and was a reaction to playing deepstacks recently, playing fairly tight and reaching the last 30 regularly but my stack size being a problem and finding that not one but two double ups were needed in quick succession. It was only a reaction to how my game and chip management was going in these MTT's. It was a way of changing gears and it does leave my opponent with the difficult decision as i know that there are much better post flop players than myself.

I haven't got the charts with me atm but for instance csi=5.5 then A4s on button is an ai play. Mathematically and sensibly , yet some players just min raise in these situations. Not all players on Sky are perfect and you will get calls from all sizes of stacks that feel you are just stealing with hands like ** and AT. It happens! So if i see that type then yea it makes sense to me to shove where i have a good chance of dominating and getting an above average stack.

Look Rancid i admire your play as well as Sly's, Gregg's and others here because its not standard. My game has improved for sure but there are many many occasions esp postflop that i just dont know eg AK min raise by me on BTN flop say QT7 two coloured facing a donk bet. I'm never too sure where i stand in a pot with you( i won't bring up your 33 busting my AA in our HU fa cup game!). I'm trying to get to your standard but without good solid explanations that make sense to me and that i can accept then i simply won't take it them board so my play improves more. I saw some advice from a successful player on you tube that made sense when before i wouldn't have done that. Thats all. Believe me i make lots of errors. Maybe this is one but i need to be persuaded. 'Lolbad' doesn't do it for me.

I'm sure there are lots of situations that people will bring up where this shove doesn't hold. I'm just saying that for reasons outlined in my previous two posts that maybe, just maybe, there are occasional grounds for it........maybe its to provide chips as im the fish eh(fish n chips get it?).
    Just give me say max bb to ai with but its not as straightforward as that is it? .........................................
    ............................i'm waiting for .......IT DEPENDS!!!
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: AK late on in MTT, Donk pot bet on the flop : I play A LOT of MTTs and I can safely say that people will call with drawable cards too.  J10, 67s. KJ, KQ, QJ, 109s... all of which we are happy to see pop up for a DU.  We cant min-raise fold a suited ace with 15bb.  Youre wasting chips if you get called and miss completely and who knows if you'l get dealt another hand of that quality until youre down to 6bb and people will call you with anything. Easy shove with the A4.  Pick up the blinds 90%.  The other 10% im happy to gamble for my tournament life on a suited ace as people are not a nitty as you think they are! Youve got plenty of opportunites to hit a straight and flush if they do have you dominated. Play for the win not just survival.
    Posted by gazza127
    1. Some people will call lighter yeh, and obv there are always some maniacs but there's no way in a million years that it's the norm for people to call off 16xBB shoves with 67s or 9Ts. 16xBB is massive for an open shove in a game without antes.

2. Why can't we? I can think of a ton of players names that come to mind (I won't name them) where we can min-raise there and know for an absolute fact that if they shove on us, we are crushed cos they will never be bluffing and never shoving a worse hand for value.

If we minraise/fold, we have 14xBB which is still plenty with no antes, obv we want to double but that doesn't mean we need to just gamble

3. We don't have to hit a flop to win a hand. Most people in the deep stages are playing pretty fit or fold postflop and don't wanna commit too many chips postflop without a made hand or at least a decent draw, seen as the majority of the time any given hand will miss the flop, we can take it down there.

We'd never let ourselves get to 6xBB (or at least we shouldn't) but we're only paying 1.5xBB per orbit and have 16xBB, so that's 6 orbits we have before we'd get that low and I'd be very shocked if a better spot didn't come up in the next 6 orbits. Does depend on the table obv.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: AK late on in MTT, Donk pot bet on the flop : 1. Some people will call lighter yeh, and obv there are always some maniacs but there's no way in a million years that it's the norm for people to call off 16xBB shoves with 67s or 9Ts. 16xBB is massive for an open shove in a game without antes. 2. Why can't we? I can think of a ton of players names that come to mind (I won't name them) where we can min-raise there and know for an absolute fact that if they shove on us, we are crushed cos they will never be bluffing and never shoving a worse hand for value. If we minraise/fold, we have 14xBB which is still plenty with no antes, obv we want to double but that doesn't mean we need to just gamble 3. We don't have to hit a flop to win a hand. Most people in the deep stages are playing pretty fit or fold postflop and don't wanna commit too many chips postflop without a made hand or at least a decent draw, seen as the majority of the time any given hand will miss the flop, we can take it down there. We'd never let ourselves get to 6xBB (or at least we shouldn't) but we're only paying 1.5xBB per orbit and have 16xBB, so that's 6 orbits we have before we'd get that low and I'd be very shocked if a better spot didn't come up in the next 6 orbits. Does depend on the table obv.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Assuming blinds dont go up in that time.  Probably have about 3 orbits until you should definitely be looking to get your chips in the middle.  And by then your shoving range has increased massively.  I've seen so many players around 16bb min raise-fold... then min raise-fold and lose all sense of conviction with their hand and dwindle in chips til they get really desperate.  As long as its only once at 16bb... and we dont start doing it at 14bb and 12bb theres an argument that yes it may prolong your tournament life and you may find cash because of it, however to press the min raise button with 16bb with hands we are just looking to fold if we get raised is just spewing chips away IMO.