You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Feel Physically Sick

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

I was playing heads up, playing 5 10 cash. I was playing above my level which i shouldnt have been doing. 2 hand I'm on the bb. I have pocket aces i raise to 30 get re raised to 110. Therefore i three bet to 240. Without even thinking villian pushes. He has my covered, pot just under 1400. He shows 10 8 off suit. Flop 8 J 8. Neither the turn or river help me. I shouldnt have been playing above my level however, how can anybody justify this call?

I'm seriously considering quitting the game dont think i am mentally strong enough to take this..........I asked the villan to justify his call and got no response.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Are we talking £5/£10? You openly state it is outside of ure bankroll so what were you doing there? No i cant poss explain the call but i hope it is a lesson learned and you pick yourself back up and dont do anything this silly again.best of luck,dav
  • edited December 2009
    You really must be able to shrug your shoulders and move on when this happens, which is why you should only ever play at a table where you have at least 30 buy ins, then you can reload and take these guys to the cleaners

take it as a lesson learned,and console yourself by saying, well, I saved myself a lot of money there

because I will never fluppin do that again!!!---gl mate--floppa whoppa!
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Feel Physically Sick:
    I was playing heads up, playing 5 10 cash. I was playing above my level which i shouldnt have been doing. 2 hand I'm on the bb. I have pocket aces i raise to 30 get re raised to 110. Therefore i three bet to 240. Without even thinking villian pushes. He has my covered, pot just under 1400. He shows 10 8 off suit. Flop 8 J 8. Neither the turn or river help me. I shouldnt have been playing above my level however, how can anybody justify this call? I'm seriously considering quitting the game dont think i am mentally strong enough to take this..........I asked the villan to justify his call and got no response.
    Posted by johns0122
    With respect Mr johns, it's his perogative to make -Ev calls - & this was - but he has no obligation to "justify his call" - it's his money to play with as he so wishes.

If I were you, I'd not ask him to justify anything - I'd get all cooey-wooey with him in the hope you can spend more table time with him.

I mean - not to be rude - but what more could you possibly wish for? - a man who calls AIPF with 8-10!

If you don't want him, fine, PM me his name, & I'll go play him. He can call me all day & all night with 10-8, & I'll take all his moolah pretty sharpish. Standard Variance will soon butcher his bankroll.

You are looking at this back-to-front. It's not a problem, it's an opportunity.

But you have to be able to handle a little setback now & then, & if  beat really makes you feel sick, then poker is the wrong game for you.
  • edited December 2009

By the bye, the reason you felt "physically sick" was not the beat - beats are part & parcel of poker, & you must learn to handle them - but because you were playing above your Roll. Beats DO hurt when you are playing too big. It's natures way of saying "play smaller".

I bumped into an old pal of mine on Sunday, who plays quite big Cash on Sky Poker.

I asked how it was going - all cooey-wooey, me - & he said he's dropped £1,900 the previous day, "but I'm not bothered, because I'm Rolled for it".

The very next day he won £2,300 on Sky Poker.

You cannot escape variance, ever ever ever. And if you are properly Rolled, it does not hurt one little bit.
  • edited December 2009
     I bumped into an old pal of mine on Sunday
    Posted by Tikay10

Winston Churchill??

Fletcher Christian??

Henry VIII?

King Alfred??

Julis Caesar??
  • edited December 2009

Pocket Aces, and get all the money in the middle preflop against 10 8 off suit, and your complaining? lol

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Feel Physically Sick:
    I was playing heads up, playing 5 10 cash. I was playing above my level which i shouldnt have been doing. 2 hand I'm on the bb. I have pocket aces i raise to 30 get re raised to 110. Therefore i three bet to 240. Without even thinking villian pushes. He has my covered, pot just under 1400. He shows 10 8 off suit. Flop 8 J 8. Neither the turn or river help me. I shouldnt have been playing above my level however, how can anybody justify this call? I'm seriously considering quitting the game dont think i am mentally strong enough to take this..........I asked the villan to justify his call and got no response.
    Posted by johns0122

Harsh I know, but the real question is how can you justify gambling with money you couldnt afford to lose - even with pocket aces?

Your villian could afford to play 10 - 8 AIPF thats all the justification he needed.
  • edited December 2009
    Like everyone has said, you know when your at the right level when this happens and you think to yourself, yes thats sick, but ill reload and ill soon get this back, thats something to learn from, if you cant afford to reload and have a go at getting it back you shouldn't of been there in the 1st place.
  • edited December 2009
    agree with tikay, the beat you can say aww man... sucks.

But you're feeling rubbish because you played over your roll

Its a lesson learnt, you'll never go over your roll again and see this as a learning curve
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Feel Physically Sick:
    By the bye, the reason you felt "physically sick" was not the beat - beats are part & parcel of poker, & you must learn to handle them - but because you were playing above your Roll. Beats DO hurt when you are playing too big. It's natures way of saying "play smaller". I bumped into an old pal of mine on Sunday, who plays quite big Cash on Sky Poker. I asked how it was going - all cooey-wooey, me - & he said he's dropped £1,900 the previous day, "but I'm not bothered, because I'm Rolled for it". The very next day he won £2,300 on Sky Poker. You cannot escape variance, ever ever ever. And if you are properly Rolled, it does not hurt one little bit.
    Posted by Tikay10
    +1 I can say from first hand experience, playing within your roll is good for your performance and allows you to rise above bad beats. TK once advised me against playing cash when he knew I was not rolled for it. I think I was on about £50 roll and wanting to play 4p cash. I took his advice, stuck to 5% DYMS and have now risen via various free entries too, to the a three figure roll. Take his advice, its golden. x
  • edited December 2009
    I can't add anything to the comments about playing within your means.

I just have one picky point to make though. Your opponent didn't call - he pushed all-in and you called. He was hoping to take you off your hand so he definitely doesn't have to justify his call. As already stated, anyone who plays poker is entitled to play their cards anyway they want.
  • edited December 2009
    i no you guys mean well but the guy is obviously gutted

most on here seem very good at b roll management, the harsh truth is only 5% of poker players win long term i have tilted bigtime at big stakes in the past its the gambler in me

sometimes having the gambler in me helps with my results sometimes it kills me

them the breaks

unlucky
  • edited December 2009
    i no you guys mean well but the guy is obviously gutted most on here seem very good at b roll management, the harsh truth is only 5% of poker players win long term i have tilted bigtime at big stakes in the past its the gambler in me sometimes having the gambler in me helps with my results sometimes it kills me them the breaks unlucky
    Posted by barnsie

You just nailed it..... we do mean well and if the gambler inside doesnt listen there is no help!
  • edited December 2009
    I can't add anything to the comments about playing within your means. I just have one picky point to make though. Your opponent didn't call - he pushed all-in and you called. He was hoping to take you off your hand so he definitely doesn't have to justify his call . As already stated, anyone who plays poker is entitled to play their cards anyway they want.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Lol I think you should have a CSI thread to match benny's X files!
  • edited December 2009

As Novice said, he didn't call, you did.
  • edited December 2009
    Depending on how deep stacks were villains shove might be not too bad.

Generally the first 4b of the match is a bluff, and if he thinks you are not a reg, he prob doesnt think you know this.

• edited December 2009
    why not try the hu sng's--same difference, but you know  how much you can lose before you start
  • edited January 2010
    I'm guessing this was Launder, and its not a 3bet its a 4bet you made with Aces and he 5bet jammed you thinking you were doing it light and you called with Aces - pretty unlucky but like Tikay says I'll take AA v 10-8 all day, all night and all week long. Moral of the story never play out of your roll espesh on £1000nl where the HU sharks sit, where no offence but you are highly likely -EV in the game.