You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thursday Night Live Show 7pm CH861 with Fowler, Jen Mason and special guest Charlotte Jackson ******

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat
Good evening guys,

nice and early with the show thread, as I want to give you all the chance to get your questions in for the very gorgeous Charlotte Jackson, our very own SkyPoker ambassador. She is joining us for the very first time on the sofa tomorrow night, all the way from the SkySports studio accross the road,   from 7-10pm (part timer ;)

Not just your questions, but your answers.... I spoke to Charlotte and asked her for 3 poker questions that she needs help with, from you...

1. "If you have a shot at a flush, 1 card away and someone else has a medium raise would you go for it?"

2. "When raising, how much of the pot should you raise, I always get raising amounts wrong!"

3. waiting on this one !

Buut have a go at the first 2, and also any general questions for Charlotte, including your usual warm welcomes get them in

skyopen@bskyb.com

#skypokertv

Also on the show;

7pm-8pm – Tonight on Sky Poker – MasterCash coverage                                                                                                                         8pm-9pm – Sky Poker School – As we have Charlotte on the show, we’ll be looking at ‘MTT Fundamentals’ to try and give her some advice. Your advice as always is welcome, show her your skills!
9pm-10pm – Analyse My Play – Hopefully we will be analysing Jen's play.
 10pm-11pm – Top Of The Pots – Top 15 biggest cash hands of the week from the Televised cash tables11pm-12pm – Sky Poker Highlights – 6k Sky Sports Bounty Hunter – Live coverage of the late stages, we could potentially get down to the final table during the hour.

Hope you enjoy it!!

see you tomorrow

A xxx

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Good evening ladies. All answers to poker questions should start with three little words. Well, it depends. To answer the second question first. Your raise size should always be consistant. I'm assuming by the wording of the question it's the post flop raise sizes and not pre flop. Early on, anywhere between half pot and three quarters pot size is fine. The key is consistantsy. Keep your sizing the same wheaver you have flopped the nuts, nothing or a decent draw. 

For the first question. Well, it depends. Different stages of the tourney, different stack sizes and your read of what your oppo is raising with will answer the question. Try not to fall into the trap of always doing the same thing with a draw. If your oppo knows, for example, that you will always just call on the turn with a draw then they can always get away cheaply if the draw hits. I would never put anyone off shoving over the top of a raiser with a big draw if you know that they can put down a weak hand. If they do call then at least you have some good outs. 

Good luck to everyone playing on Thursday and I hope someone gets at least as close to the jackpot as I did on Tuesday. Sorry for the blatent brag. Run well all and remember, we can't all win every night but we can all have fun :-)
  • edited July 2013
    Oh, the answer to the third question is 42. The beard told me so it must be right
  • edited July 2013

Fowler, Mason and Jackson......I've just apologised to the old man for not being able to make his 60th

wolf whistle!

• edited July 2013
    A gutshot for a flush??? 

I think we're confused here, do we have a flush draw, or a gutshot? Or do we have a gutshot to a straight flush draw? 

I think for people to gove good honest answers we need to be clear on this. 

Have a good show. 3 women, i suspect i won't be allowed to watch. lol
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Thursday Night Live Show 7pm CH861 with Fowler, Jen Mason and special guest Charlotte Jackson ******official****:
    Good evening guys, nice and early with the show thread, as I want to give you all the chance to get your questions in for the very gorgeous Charlotte Jackson, our very own SkyPoker ambassador. She is joining us for the very first time on the sofa tomorrow night, all the way from the SkySports studio accross the road,   from 7-10pm (part timer ;) Not just your questions, but your answers.... I spoke to Charlotte and asked her for 3 poker questions that she needs help with, from you... 1. "If you have a gut shot for a flush, 1 card away and someone else has a medium raise would you go for it?" 2. "When raising, how much of the pot should you raise, I always get raising amounts wrong!" 3. waiting on this one ! Buut have a go at the first 2, and also any general questions for Charlotte, including your usual warm welcomes get them in skyopen@bskyb.com #skypokertv Also on the show; 7pm-8pm  – Tonight on Sky Poker – MasterCash coverage                                                                                                                            8pm-9pm  – Sky Poker School – As we have Charlotte on the show, we’ll be looking at ‘MTT Fundamentals’ to try and give her some advice. Your advice as always is welcome, show her your skills! 9pm-10pm  – Analyse My Play – Hopefully we will be analysing Jen's play.   10pm-11pm  – Top Of The Pots – Top 15 biggest cash hands of the week from the Televised cash tables   11pm-12pm  – Sky Poker Highlights – 6k Sky Sports Bounty Hunter – Live coverage of the late stages, we could potentially get down to the final table during the hour.   Hope you enjoy it!! see you tomorrow A xxx
    Posted by MissFowler

Lol

• edited July 2013
    Hello Anna, Jen and Ms Jackson.

Abridged answers to your questions:

1) "If you have a shot at a flush, 1 card away and someone else has a medium raise would you go for it?" 

If the bet's small enough we can call to see our draw. However, it depends on how tight our opponent is and how much money we're being charged to see the river, as well as how much more we might win if we hit (Pot odds, implied odds, etc). We could even raise if we have fold equity.

2) "When raising, how much of the pot should you raise, I always get raising amounts wrong!"

Pre-flop raises should always be the same size with any hand we intend to play. We shouldn't be making a raise of 3BB with pocket Aces, but 6BB with 56 suited. Add an extra big blind to your raise for each limper. Pre-flop re-raises (3-bets) will usually be three times the size of the opening raise, unless we're playing fewer than 20BB or so, when we should just 3-bet all-in.

After the flop, bets and raises should always be in relation to the size of the pot. As a guideline for a relative beginner, doing as Cenachav has said and always betting between half and three-quarter pot is good advice. However, we should generally bet more on wet flops than we would on dry flops.

Jen will now explain all of the things I've confused you with. They sound like simple questions but the answers are nuanced and situation dependent.

This game can be pretty complicated if you want it to be. All of these are just rough guidelines and, as you progress, you'll learn when to follow these and when to diverge from them.

I hope that's not too long... I suspect it is.
  • edited July 2013
    ok, third question from Miss Charlotte Jackson;

3. "if I'm dealt a low or mid pair, and I was raised would you fold, or chance it and be aggressive - with the potential of a  3 of a kind?"

keep your answers coming

xx

• edited July 2013
    3 Well, it depends.  Early on its fine to set mine assuming you are both fairly deep stacked.  I wouldn't bother 3 betting with a small pair early.  It just leaves us in a world of hurt when we get 4 bet.  Later on then either fold or get it in :)
  • edited July 2013
    Usually I would write about a thousand words on each of these questions. You're challenging my powers of brevity.

Here goes...

3) "If I'm dealt a low or mid pair, and I was raised, would you fold or chance it and be aggressive - with the potential for a 3 of a kind?"

Our chance of flopping a set is 7.5:1 which is about 12%. That means to purely set mine (so we always give up when we miss) we must be able to win 7.5 times the bet we're being asked to call, just to break even. In reality we need to be able to win considerably more, as sometimes we won't have the best hand with our set and other times we won't win all of our opponent's money. As a guideline, you should only call to set mine with implied odds (which Jen will explain) of 12 times the price of the call or more. Bear in mind that tight pre-flop players are better to set mine against than loose ones, because they're much more likely to have a big hand to pay us off with.

Of course, we don't always need to give up after the flop if we miss. Our pair may still be good and some flops will allow us to continue. This will be much easier in position.

Playing our pairs aggressively by 3-betting is an option. If we have 15BB-20BB we can definitely 3-bet shove with our pair. Some of the time we'll force our opponent to fold and win without a showdown, and the times we're called there's a good chance we'll be in a 50:50 race, which isn't too bad. Loose pre-flop players are the ones we want to 3-bet.

That's still quite long. Honestly, I've shortened it a lot and missed out some things. These are very general questions with very nuanced and situation dependent answers...

Have a great show lassies.
  • edited July 2013
    Just in case the previous posts were still not brief enough,  and with all the usual caveats, how about:

2. less if you want a call, more if you want them to fold
    1&3. Fold if you think they will call, raise if you think they will fold

note these may not be winning tactics but should make life tougher for your opponents

• edited July 2013
    Oh
    forgot to say looking forward to the show, hope you enjoy it as much as we do

Imho best sky poker
    presenter
    analyst (apart from tikay - have to say that, sorry Jen)
    & ambassador

What more could one want

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday Night Live Show 7pm CH861 with Fowler, Jen Mason and special guest Charlotte Jackson ******official****:
    Oh forgot to say looking forward to the show, hope you enjoy it as much as we do Imho best sky poker presenter analyst (apart from tikay - have to say that, sorry Jen) & ambassador What more could one want
    Posted by GELDY
    Saturdays lottery numbers?
  • edited July 2013
    Also.... for the best answer to the questions we are giving a free Primo seat worth £55!!

If you have any other questions for Charlotte; football, golf, diving or winter thermals.... related get them in.

xx
  • edited July 2013
    Golfing questions for Charlotte:

Whats your handicap?

Do you agree with the ban on anchored putters?

Have a good show ladies.

Mick
  • edited July 2013
    Evening ladies,

I'll give my answers to the questions even though BorinLoner is a boss and obv already has the Primo seat locked up. I haven't read his answers but they look long so I'm guessing he's covered everything so apologies if there's duplication.... I'll try to keep them short and sweet.

1) "If you have a shot at a flush, 1 card away and someone else has a medium raise would you go for it?"

When we only have 1 card to come, we'll hit a flush about 1in5 times which means we want to be winning more than 5 times the call amount when we hit. So if we have to pay £1.50 to potentially win a pot of £10 that's a great proposition and we can call. If we have to pay £3.50 to win a pot of £10 then it may not be so good and we need to think about the the following question .... 'If I hit my flush will my opponent be willing to call a bet/raise on the river?'

2) "When raising, how much of the pot should you raise, I always get raising amounts wrong!"

When we raise preflop, I would recommend keeping all our raise sizes the same to not give any clues away as to the strength of our hand, generally 3 times the big blind. At later stages of a tournament we can lower this to 2.5 times the big blind and eventually 2 times the big blind (min-raise).

Postflop, again keep the same bet sizing with your value hands and your bluffs to not give away the strength of your hand. As a default I would recommend that we generally never bet less than 50% of the pot, and usually around 60-70% of the pot.

You should adjust your bet sizing according to the board texture. In short, on wet boards bet more, on dry boards bet less (not less than 50%). For wet boards, it will get us max value when we have it and charge them more if they're drawing. On dry boards it is harder for people to hit them so betting smaller allows us to get calls from weaker hands and likewise because dry flops are hard to hit, it means we can bluff very cheaply

3) "If I'm dealt a low or mid pair, and I was raised, would you fold or chance it and be aggressive - with the potential for a 3 of a kind?"

We will flop a set roughly 1in9 times so like any drawing hand, we want to win 9 times more than we have to call when we hit. For this reason, pay attention to your opponents stack size and make sure that it's probably around 15 times more than the call. So if you have to call £1 to see a flop, you have him to have at least £15 left behind, if you're calling £1 to setmine and he only has £7 left, that's gonna be a losing proposition.

An important thing to remember is that once we miss the flop, we should not be tempted to 'just call once more' purely hoping to hit a set because our chances of doing that on the turn are now only 2%
  • edited July 2013
    Football question for Charlotte...

I'm an Everton fan who was obviously sad to see Moyes go... in your opinion how do you think his first season will go at Man Utd and how do you think Everton will get on in their first season with Martinez?
  • edited July 2013
    Keep getting your answers in for Charlotte for a chance to win a seat in to Sunday's Primo!
  • edited July 2013
    Hand ID #670621326 6K bounty hunter. When I get an overbet jam like this, it usually means they have a smallish PP(they don't want to play a flop). Should I call, knowing that I'm probably behind but racing? I've been my usual aggro self and have 3bet a lot and have a 4bet against this player, so I think he doesn't want to have to call off a 4 bet jam.
  • edited July 2013
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!

I'm an hour and a bit behind and now I'm hearing "You don't even know!" from Fowler... what's that all about. I'm cool and get all the ladies. Prrrfffff... Wait, I'm not finished... prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfffffffffffffffffff...

Insulted!

Also, I tried my best to be brief. I'm just not good at brief. I like my words, I do.
  • edited July 2013
    sorry jen, I cant rember the hand ,I did not realize you were playing on the same table or I would have said hello and remembered the hand :)
  • edited July 2013
    Lambert you win :) thank you for getting involved in the show xx
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks for the prize ladies. Always happy to get involved in the shows.
  • edited July 2013
    Anna, you might want to Urban Dictionary the term "otter's pocket" before you use it on telly again.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday Night Live Show 7pm CH861 with Fowler, Jen Mason and special guest Charlotte Jackson ******official****:
    Anna, you might want to Urban Dictionary the term "otter's pocket" before you use it on telly again.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Sadly we did but after I have said it several thousand times. Who knew!???!
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday Night Live Show 7pm CH861 with Fowler, Jen Mason and special guest Charlotte Jackson ******official**** : Sadly we did but after I have said it several thousand times. Who knew!???!
    Posted by MissFowler
    Oh well. Maybe nobody else noticed. :/
  • edited July 2013
    Hi great show.
    Was surprised that so few people played the escalator tonight. It was a great structure which made sure it wasn't a total shove fest. Loved it.... oh and i won it ;)
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday Night Live Show 7pm CH861 with Fowler, Jen Mason and special guest Charlotte Jackson ******official**** : Sadly we did but after I have said it several thousand times. Who knew!???!
    Posted by MissFowler
  • edited July 2013
    LemonParty is another one to Urban dictionary.

I suggest you don't google it, though. Unless you want a shock.

I realise the show is over but I'm a little behind.