You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this just poker suicide?

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Got notes on the villain that he plays with rubbish... a lot of rubbish. Saw him call down 92  (only about 5-10% of chip stack) on a KK1082 board with 92... after he called a 3x raise pre.  Also seen him min donk bet with these weak hands/hands where hes drawing.

No draws came in turn or river... If they do then I probably shut down.... and if I get any raise (on flop or turn) I also shut down.
Is this perfectly acceptable play or is it just not worth it (i.e. play a passive call/fold line)?

mickjenn1 Small blind  300.00 300.00 5797.50
** Big blind  600.00 900.00 23325.00
 Your hole cards
  • K

IRONZ Fold     
gazza127 Raise  1200.00 2100.00 25400.00
mickjenn1 Fold     
**Call  600.00 2700.00 22725.00
Flop

• Q
  • J

** Bet  600.00 3300.00 22125.00
gazza127 Raise  2550.00 5850.00 22850.00
** Call  1950.00 7800.00 20175.00
Turn

** Bet  600.00 8400.00 19575.00
gazza127 Raise  5100.00 13500.00 17750.00
** Call  4500.00 18000.00 15075.00
River

** Bet  600.00 18600.00 14475.00
gazza127 All-in  17750.00 36350.00 0.00
** Fold     
gazza127 Muck     
gazza127 Win  19200.00  19200.00
gazza127 Return  17150.00 0.00 36350.00

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Hi G 
    Well you say he plays a wide range and is a bit of a calling station. He check calls down the streets making the same bet too. What did you think this meant btw? Brave bet on river but I'd be thinkingPHEW!!! 
    Maybe that previous pot you had made you get involved here. Remember there is a two here too...ha. Nice win though but next time the idea is to trap with a monster eh?
  • edited July 2013
    in the words of tony g,  YOU HAVE THE BIG HEART. THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE!!!
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Is this just poker suicide?:
    Hi G  Well you say he plays a wide range and is a bit of a calling station. He check calls down the streets making the same bet too. What did you think this meant btw? Brave bet on river but I'd be thinkingPHEW!!!  Maybe that previous pot you had made you get involved here. Remember there is a two here too...ha. Nice win though but next time the idea is to trap with a monster eh?
    Posted by profman15
    I thought he hit a straight draw with maybe a J.... but in reality I was just thinking a 2 all along.  I was never worried that he had a Q - he never did it with top pair.  When I shoved river I was just hoping he wasnt THAT loose that hed put his tourny life on a Jack or 2.  Definitely a blocker bet
  • edited July 2013
    in the words of tony g,  YOU HAVE THE BIG HEART. THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I have 0 idea what this means.... lol
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Is this just poker suicide? : I have 0 idea what this means.... lol
    Posted by gazza127
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtE5Hx740Pc
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Is this just poker suicide? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtE5Hx740Pc
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Wow... just wow.
  • edited July 2013
    Ha gotta love tony G!

Its best when he needles phill hellmuth in the big game.
  • edited July 2013
    HI Gaz,

Was I the villain? I cant remember but think i was at this table!
  • edited July 2013
    No you werent jonny. Think you were for a bit but then got moved.
  • edited July 2013
    Or more likely got knocked out :)
  • edited July 2013
    Ha gotta love tony G! Its best when he needles phill hellmuth in the big game.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    + 1 them 2 could have there own tv show, at home with phil and tony, would be epic.
  • edited July 2013
    FWIW, I generally interpret the villians kind of sizing (and then calling a raise)  as them having a draw where they wanna try to set their own price. Then doesn't wanna just give up on river so just tries to bluff as cheap as possible. If we think he's on a missed draw then a river raise is good cos a lot of his missed draws still beat us, but I'd raise much smaller cos if he's got a missed draw he'll fold to pretty much any raise but then if he shoves on us, and he's passive, then he hasn't got a missed draw and we can fold cos obv we have K high lol.
  • edited July 2013
    FWIW, I generally interpret the villians kind of sizing (and then calling a raise)  as them having a draw where they wanna try to set their own price. Then doesn't wanna just give up on river so just tries to bluff as cheap as possible. If we think he's on a missed draw then a river raise is good cos a lot of his missed draws still beat us, but I'd raise much smaller cos if he's got a missed draw he'll fold to pretty much any raise but then if he shoves on us, and he's passive, then he hasn't got a missed draw and we can fold cos obv we have K high lol.
    Posted by Lambert180

But if the bet is small enough to make it worth folding the Shove then villain might take it as a sign of weakness and Shove anyway. Might work better if there was more behind? 

• edited July 2013
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thing is though if I raise on the river(without sticking the lot in), how much do I bet? I've got just under a pot size bet behind.  Raising to say 5k will 100% be called by a J by this villain... maybe even a 2 or 7.  Not sticking the lot in looks uber suspiscious.  I wanted him to have a really tough decision on the river.  And the only way I can see him folding if he has hit in any way is if I put his tournament life on it.  With the pot being so big I just dont see him folding otherwise.

He did tank before folding which implies that he did at least have a pair.  I was pretty happy it got through though!  Mega fist pump 3 barrel bluff.

Although I was wondering if such plays against calling stations are OK or should I just give up knowing that he genuinely could have any two cards.  IMO you never should be bluffing a station however in this instance i felt it was the right play.  I was never going to let him buy the pot for 600 chips on the turn or river.... not with my notes on him and not with such a big pot at stake.
  • edited July 2013
    Love it Gazza.

I'm scared to get in a pot with you now :(
  • edited July 2013
    Love it Gazza. I'm scared to get in a pot with you now :(
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Lol. What you must remember is I ALWAYS have the nuts (this is the one and only exception).  ;)