You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did i play this hand well?

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Looks like a Jack .... Maybe even two...

But its hard to give back feedback when we dont actually know what youre holding.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    i decided to try and be more aggressive than what i have been recently so would like some thoughts on how i played this one.
    the reason i have decided to hide the cards is so it would be shown from a opponents view
    Becki565 Small blind  150.00 150.00 10675.00
    JamieReyes Big blind  300.00 450.00 22837.50
      Your hole cards

xCall  300.00 750.00 12480.00
    craigcu12 Raise  600.00 1350.00 9925.00
    johnhammer Fold     
    Becki565 Fold     
    JamieReyes Fold     
    xCall  300.00 1650.00 12180.00
    Flop

• J
    • J

xCheck     
    craigcu12 Check     
    Turn

xBet  600.00 2250.00 11580.00
    craigcu12 Raise  1500.00 3750.00 8425.00
    xCall  900.00 4650.00 10680.00
    River

xCheck     
    craigcu12 Bet  1500.00 6150.00 6925.00
    xFold     
    craigcu12 Muck     
    craigcu12 Win  4650.00  11575.00
    craigcu12 Return  1500.00 0.00 13075.00
  • edited July 2013
    pretty hard to say if you've played it well when we don't know your holecards

probably really bad
  • edited July 2013
    If you want feedback on how you played the hand, please show your cards. If you want views on your play from the opponent's perspective, please show their cards. Otherwise, nh gg wp.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: did i play this hand well?:
    pretty hard to say if you've played it well when we don't know your holecards probably really bad
    Posted by percival09
    ^^THIS^^

Much more information required!

At least give us a clue why you checked the flop?
  • edited July 2013
    Show your hole cards

But regardless, your raise size pre is too small. Why didn't we c-bet the flop?

If we're raising the turn, raise bigger. River bet is too small.
  • edited July 2013
    looks like you have aj/kj maybe even pockets 8s and your river bet looks valuey please call me bet, so think you are massive.

lol be funny if you have absoulute air I would just look silly now
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah you played the hand very well if u had pocket 8s but I CANT SEE!!
  • edited July 2013

don't know why you've took out your cards, renders all advice pretty pointless, got a feeling this should be in bbv but whatever.

but i'll play along I think you have total air and at best you picked up a draw on the turn just going by this statement "i decided to try and be more aggressive than what i have been recently so would like some thoughts on how i played this one".

I dont see too much aggression here if im honest as all you bets look pretty weak

• edited July 2013
    don't know why you've took out your cards, renders all advice pretty pointless, got a feeling this should be in bbv but whatever. but i'll play along I think you have total air and at best you picked up a draw on the turn just going by this statement "i decided to try and be more aggressive than what i have been recently so would like some thoughts on how i played this one ". I dont see too much aggression here if im honest as all you bets look pretty weak
    Posted by TINTIN
    This
  • edited July 2013
    With the info available...

Pre flop - raise bigger, min raise is fine if no limper, but with the extra 300 in the pot you're giving way too good a price to BB or limper to come along.

Flop - depends what we're trying to achieve here, are we trapping or trying to rep massive strength?  Trap = bad, repping a monster when we have air I actually like a lot.

Turn - I quite like the raise size, it looks strong if we are bluffing here.

River - Bet size too small, I only ever like this sizing if we're trying to make a complete bluff look super strong, ie.  PLEASE call me, but not really, and you can only really do this against certain players who you know will perceive a small river bet as super strong.  If it's a bet for value the sizing is terrible.
  • edited July 2013
    the hand was AQ
    Becki565 Small blind  150.00 150.00 10675.00
    JamieReyes Big blind  300.00 450.00 22837.50
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

xCall  300.00 750.00 12480.00
    craigcu12 Raise  600.00 1350.00 9925.00
    johnhammer Fold     
    Becki565 Fold     
    JamieReyes Fold     
    xCall  300.00 1650.00 12180.00
    Flop

• J
    • J

xCheck     
    craigcu12 Check     
    Turn

xBet  600.00 2250.00 11580.00
    craigcu12 Raise  1500.00 3750.00 8425.00
    xCall  900.00 4650.00 10680.00
    River

xCheck     
    craigcu12 Bet  1500.00 6150.00 6925.00
    xFold    
    when the board did show two J's what I thought then was if I did a c bet he might be tempted to do a raise which could look strong but might well be a bluff.
    when he did the bet on the turn it was that bet that I decided to use thinking he might be bluffing or believed that I was slow playing AJ so when he does the call I went with a small V bet hoping he might be even more likely to put me on a 3rd J which I try disguising.
  • edited July 2013
    You say your being more aggressive, yet you dont continuation bet???
  • edited July 2013
    anyone half competent would own you in this hand, your line makes no sence at all.
  • edited July 2013
    You say your being more aggressive, yet you dont continuation bet???
    Posted by calcalfold
    i couldn't see many hands make the call on the flop which i would be still beating with A high and for all i know he might well have then raised himself.
    another reason for the check is these days it is easier to think i have trips if i were to give a free card in position.

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: did i play this hand well? : i couldn't see many hands make the call on the flop which i would be still beating with A high and for all i know he might well have then raised himself. another reason for the check is these days it is easier to think i have trips if i were to give a free card in position.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Really?
    Bit confused. Personally if I had AJ here I would be c-betting.
    Also if you had led out and he had raised, you would snap fold as he would only do that with a J?

Be careful not to be too exploitable Craig.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah you've played this completely backwards, stop trying to overthink situations.

Like assuming you did have a J and you decided to check back the flop, would you really blow your whole disguise apart by basically clicking back the turn? It makes no sense, you'd either c-bet with a jack, or if you're being deceptive, you'd flat the turn and let them bluff the river.

If you did have a Jack, this line would be a really bad one to take.
  • edited July 2013

So you mean in every situation you only bet if worse hands will call or better hands will fold?

• edited July 2013
    anyone half competent would own you in this hand, your line makes no sence at all.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

You played it terrible!
  • edited July 2013
    So you mean in every situation you only bet if worse hands will call or better hands will fold?
    Posted by calcalfold
    Well that's pretty much the only 2 reasons we should ever be betting. The only other reason which is probably relevant here is for protection/to charge hands/make people fold hands that might be worse than ours but still have a lot of equity V us.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: did i play this hand well? : Well that's pretty much the only 2 reasons we should ever be betting. The only other reason which is probably relevant here is for protection/to charge hands/make people fold hands that might be worse than ours but still have a lot of equity V us.
    Posted by Lambert180

So you never bet/raise draws when another player is likely to have a made hand and is calling?
    So you never continuation bet flops without knowing where you are?
    So you never make blocker bets to showdown cheap when you think you may be beat?
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: did i play this hand well? : So you never bet/raise draws when another player is likely to have a made hand and is calling? So you never continuation bet flops without knowing where you are? So you never make blocker bets to showdown cheap when you think you may be beat?
    Posted by calcalfold
    Why would we bet a draw if we think we're probably going to be called by a made hand? The only circumstance in which we should bet a draw expecting to be called by a made hand is when we believe our draw is favourite and, therefore, the best hand. We bet draws to semi-bluff, so why would we bet if we can't get folds?

Continuation betting isn't about knowing where we are. It's about making "X hands" in opponent's range fold or "Y hands" in opponent's range call.

Blocker bets just make no sense. We're betting when we think we're beat? Value bet or bluff, which does a blocker bet achieve? If we think more hands in our opponent's range that call us are hands we beat, then we're value betting. If we think we can get better hands than ours to fold, then we're bluffing.

A blocker bet doesn't get maximum value from hands we beat and is unlikely to be big enough to make better hands fold.
  • edited July 2013
    Lol thanks BL, you've saved me having to reply.

CCF - see above.