You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker TV live tonight 14/7/13; with Yiannis Morgan and James Hartigan

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat

Hi Poker Peeps,

Well it looks like the British summer has finally gone on a heater; you got to be loving this BBQ weather :))

Hope you've been having a cracking weekend. If though you have overdone it in the Sun, there is one sure fire way to easy the burn, that's by hanging out with the legend that is James Hartigan and myself in the comfort of your livingroom for some aftersun poker action in our live show.

We'll be kicking things off at 7 by following the action live from our Sky Poker Mastercash tables. Then at 8 it's all about the Primo - one of the most popular touneys in our schedule. James and myself will be following our Primo main event for the entire evening.

Make sure you get involved and hopeful we'll see your name up in lights taking down a tasty pot.

As always, we'll also be on hand for any questions, comments or hand reviews you like to send our way.

See you in a few hours!

Comments

• edited July 2013
    I have a question for you all, inspired by Julian's recent blog (which you really should read)...

In a poker tournament, are you EVER pot committed?

• edited July 2013
    Evening guys,

Looking forward to the show tonight. Don't often play the Primo but I got free entry for it earlier in the week on 861 so will be making a run for the jackpot tonight.

Yes I did overdo it a bit Yiannis when I went to Bournemouth yesterday with the girlfriend and kids and came back looking like a lobster.

@ Hartigan's - Ages ago I used to always find myself in spots where I felt committed, both in cash and MTTs, but it was probably about 6 months ago I noticed how much of a leak it was. So many times I'd make bad calls when I just KNEW I was beaten because 'I was committed' but every little time you just call off that last 15xBB on the river in cash all adds up, especially when a good winrate might only be 10xBB per hour. Only have to make a few dodgy calls like that and it could take a whole BI off the session result.

Tournaments is no different really, if you KNOW you're beat, then you're beat, shouldn't matter how much you leave behind or how good your pot odds are, if you know categorically you can never have the best hand, then you have to fold.... BUT how often do we really KNOW 100% that we can never have the best hand?

Got an interesting poker story I'll ask you about James later in the show, something from the WSOP
  • edited July 2013
    hiya guys do sky know when they are updating to site and to your question i played in a poker game where i folded with 2 bbs left and 30 players remaining i went on to win the tourney and 15k so i never believe im pot commited as while ever you have chips you have  a chance!!! thanks matisbak
  • edited July 2013
    hope you guys have a good show tonight i`m in primo got through a wee £6 satellite(2nd attempt though)

also I think it depends on your opponent that question being pot commited because they are some players that put you allin and your like i`m totally dead here so why on earth would you put your remaining chips in fine well knowing you will be out. so you can defo say your not pot commited in these situations but yeah i`ve defo done it in the past lol.
  • edited July 2013
    My girlfriend, Llamas has also just got into the Primo for £5 through satellites so there will be 2 jackpots run in this household tonight.

I dunno if James saw a thread about a hand played by David Sands at the WSOP main event on Day 1 that was posted on the 'big poker forum'.

Cliffs are that Player A finds out his dad has passed away and so will be flying back that night and is unable to play Day 2. He becomes friendly with David Sands and later in the day says 'if I could give my chips to anyone, I'd love to give them to you'. David Sands says he feels bad for him and his family and would like to give him a 1% freeroll in his main event action. 5 mins before the end of day 1, a hand goes off between these 2 players, Player A (who is going home at the end of the day regardless) bets the turn and says 'all you have to do is raise, if you raise I fold' then 'accidently' flashes his cards to show he has 35o for 5high. David Sands then goes all in with A-high. River is a 5 and the guy going home doubles and David Sands is left with a bowl lol.

What are your thoughts?
  • edited July 2013

Have a good show 

Q. In a poker tournament, are you EVER pot committed?

A.  NO
  • edited July 2013
    Hi guys.

Just a quick answer for James as to why i folded my A9 on the button after such a small 3 bet from pokey.

1, Pokey is a strong player and even though i have position he is capable of firing 3 bullets on a ace or 9 high flop and i didnt want to be playing a guessing game v him

and

2, which was the main reason behind the fold, the guy in the big blind wasnt playing many hands and i knew he was sitting with a big hand which could easily have me dominated.

So all in all folding and losing 30p was alot better than getting myself into a fix and also without trying to be results orientated i would have hit 2 pair so that is exactly what would have happened this time.

Have a great show guys.

Daz.
  • edited July 2013
    You are never pot committed.  Never.

Prime example:

I was playing in a £1000 BH a few months back.  I had triple barrelled three streets with a straight and nut flush draw.... and missed the lot.  I stuck in a sizeable pot bet on the river (around 3/4 pot) leaving myself 3bb behind.  When my oppo reraised me at the end, I had to pretend my internet went off out of sheer embarrassment.

People on my table couldnt believe that id fold with 3bb left for a pot of over 150bb.

This happened with roughly 50 people left in the tournament.

Long story short, I final tabled the tournament winning a reasonable cash prize.

If you know you're beat... why would you put another penny in? You never know what you could do with 3bb...
  • edited July 2013
    Did Mr Hartigan perhaps design the structure for the timed cash game?  I only ask as the starting stack is 20 big blinds.  Kind of his signature ;)  It's hardly like a cash game but it is carnagey fun.
  • edited July 2013
    think you got the 5k wrong just a bit guys the tourney is faster than a speed with 20 bbs dosent allow any play at all for that buy in !!!!! 
  • edited July 2013
    regarding my hand james I decided turn my hand into bluff i did 3bet pre so easily could have ak/aq with a club don`t know if it was right or wrong just worried they had random club but think also get 2prs/sets to fold because he did raise flop so did think he could have a strong hand but wasn`t sure why called to see turn and re-evaluate.
  • edited July 2013
    In a poker tournament, are you EVER pot committed?

The answer is no!
    The Chip and a Chair is always a viable option
    I cashed a tournament recently having been as low as 45 chips with the blinds 150 - 300.

However, if the question was re-jigged to "should you ever be committed for entering some pots?"

I'd have to plead guilty your honour!
    Some hands just look good, but when the flop comes, can make you look stupid and act accordingly.

The great/winning players on Sky, almost always know when to quit
  • edited July 2013
    Does the timed tourny count towards the jackpot? i
  • edited July 2013
    Hi guys, could you show this hand from the Primo plz

Hand History #671450573 (20:53 14/07/2013)

• edited July 2013

are their some people who have got sun burn on the brain.
    what I am thinking happens so often in tournaments now is so many are getting too addicted to hands once they hit or in the case of QQ too lovely to fold.
    maybe all the calling stations have moved over to tournament poker I play a lot of micro stakes cash tables and I am surprise with the number of times that I can cbet when I miss without worrying too much on weather I will get called.

• edited July 2013
    Easy explanation for the QQ v 99 hand guys . . . . .

We just found the worlds first 2 blind poker players :)
  • edited July 2013

10:00 PM main mini both % main in mini  

entered 174 379 73 42  
    left 63 104 6    

SUPERSNEDD 16 80      
    jamest6 28 60      
    IRONZ 33 34      
    SparkyKeef 34 102      
    Ice_Tiger 53 54      
    cookie83 60 86      

• edited July 2013
    Sometimes pot odds, chip stacks etc do not matter when deciding what to do in a hand.

Regarding calling off youre last 9-10 big blinds if you think there is a chance oppo is bluffing and you are getting good odds.  Sometimes it depends entirely on the action before.  If you show mega strength before the flop... on the flop and the turn and oppo is still sticking around and is willing to reraise you on the end when maybe a straight or flush comes in... if youre sitting there with top pair top kicker... sometimes youve just got to let it go and give them credit.

9-10 big blinds is more than enough to get back into it.
  • edited July 2013

I was playing loads of tables John. I would never 3 bet j8 in a million years . I misclicked the raise, then when flop came down I was annoyed at myself. Why I decided to go all in, was slightly tilting at doing that.  

• edited July 2013

P.S. Great show. and yeh if I 3 bet ever in that spot its gona be to get it all on not a click back like I accidentally did. Nite

• edited July 2013
    Hi guys

Just to let you know we are down to 3 UK players in the WSOP main event

Philip Long (currently in 44th)
    Oliver Price (52nd)
    & Sebastian Gohr (who is German but UK resident, in 22nd)
    Steven Watts was eliminated about an hour ago in 59th.

One female player remains, Jackie Glazier of Australia, one former main event Champion remains, Carlos Mortensen, while the chip leader is Yegeniy Timoshenko who has over 10 million chips with the next biggest stack about three million behind.
  • edited July 2013

10:35 PM main mini both % main in mini  

entered 174 379 73 42  
    left 37 46 3    

IRONZ 7 11      
    jamest6 21 27      
    cookie83 33 35      

• edited July 2013
    I'm all for another poker rap James. One time!
  • edited July 2013
    With your infamy in Eastern European and Scandinavian Poker circles,
    are you thinking of entering your Poker Rap with a K at the next Eurovision?
    I see the plan!
    no more null points lol
  • edited July 2013
    James

we are on the bubble
    Lambert has a very small stack
    Aussie is chip leader
    no need to race
    if aussie will let me see my draw cheap - i say thanks
  • edited July 2013
    This song will go down in history in my opinion.. someone get this on youtube please
  • edited July 2013
    Nice work JH. Two time? Later in the year hopefully.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi guys great show guys fish to hips should feel special he been in both rap battles hahahahah think you should stick to what yano best because I think most of your points are valid but just a bit passive early parts in tourney for me I would categorise ou as a movie expert I that's any concelation lol
  • edited July 2013
    Hey guys,

Just bust out in 17th with K9 v A8. Things got a bit hairy around the bubble when I lost AQs v 89o all in pre flop, but just about managed to scrape a cash. Not bad for a free entry

Lambert180    0    17    £117.45
  • edited July 2013
    Shame I missed the show last night. There were a few interesting hands and a lot of interesting discussion I would have liked to have added to. Lots of things from experienced, winning players that I disagreed with.

I'll try to bring a few of those things up for James' next show. Great show though, guys.