You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Primo - TPTK on Wet Board v Maniac

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I did post this hand on the live show thread hoping to see villian's hand but they didn't get round to showing it, and I'd had a table move by then anyway.

Anyone who was watching the show will have an idea of the opponent (the one that had an enormous chip lead from about 9pm - 11pm). Was running.... god-like, massively over-valueing hands like TPWK. Calling raises very wide pre then being very aggro postflop when hitting any pair, any draw. Have seen him clickback a dry J-high flop with J5o. Bet sizing is pretty bad (too big all the time).

His usual MO is something along the lines of pot, pot, pot lol. If he raises postflop, then it's ALWAYS bigger than the size of the pot.

Did I play scared here given these reads or do you think despite all that I still have to give him credit for having a hand here and just let it go?

I know I may have been playing scared cos at this point my stack was massive for the stage of the tournament, I  think I was 2nd in chips and he was the only person that could bust me (I'd have about 100 chips left). I know if I call the turn I'm almost certainly getting shoved on on the river. He was mental and can show up with some wose hands (I think) but even crazy players have a hand sometimes and just thought there was better spots to try and stack him.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
WHOAMI196 Small blind   30.00 30.00 5402.25
basty2010 Big blind   60.00 90.00 3460.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

nozz3r Fold        
yoyo Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   180.00 270.00 11319.00
X Call   180.00 450.00 11270.00
WHOAMI196 Fold        
basty2010 Fold        
Flop

• K
  • Q

Lambert180 Bet   305.00 755.00 11014.00
X Call   305.00 1060.00 10965.00
Turn

Lambert180 Bet   610.00 1670.00 10404.00
X Raise   2890.00 4560.00 8075.00
Lambert180 Fold        
X Muck        
X Win   2280.00   10355.00
X Return   2280.00 0.00 12635.00

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Tough spot. I guess it depends on how much the primo means to you- if it's a smaller value tourney, I guess you and I would snap it off based on his image. In this spot, I do the same as you and fold.

To be honest though, what I'd like more with your reads is to check the turn and let him maniac bluff/overvalue his hand. By doing that, you stop yourself getting stacked, you increase his bluffing odds, and you stay involved in the hand until showdown. You'll still be making a sizeable return most of the time. You're in a way ahead/way behind situation that is relatively unlikely to change on the river- either he's got trips and you need to hit a K, or he's got TPWK and you're crushing him. A flush draw is relatively unlikely, IMO. 

I hate getting aggro with villains without a truly solid hand, because if they put you to the test like this you're never quite sure what they have- they can have almost any two, and you don't want to risk such a solid stack on a chance like that.
  • edited July 2013

Based on what I saw on the show he wasn't a maniac, just a typical inexperienced player, overvaluing hands and clicking buttons.

When he raises I don't think there's any need to go any further. He probably isn't raising a draw and does he really raise KJ here? I suppose it's possible but more of his raising hands are just hands that beat you, I think.

As for checking the turn, DeucesLive, why wouldn't we think that he can keep calling us down with worse? If he raises I don't think he's likely to be semi-bluffing a draw after just calling the flop, and I wouldn't think that he's raising many worse value hands. Draws are certainly a part of his range that we can get value from with a bet. Even though most players overrate how likely flush or straight draws are, we certainly can't ignore them and there are lots of cards that change the texture of the board on the river. I don't think it's a way ahead/way behind situation... I think, given what we've seen from him and his tendency to overvalue hands, that we can also be called by lots of Kx and perhaps some Qx hands. I wouldn't like checking the turn.

I think bet-fold on the turn is fine.

• edited July 2013
    Any Kx is way ahead, same with Qx to a slightly lesser extent. You're more than an 80% favourite against either. If he has trip 7's you're pulling to a 2 outer.

Look at it this way, at no point here do we want to start raising, am I correct? So the options are;

Bet turn, get called. Great result.
    Bet turn, get raised. Probably can't call, have to fold.
    Check turn, oppo bets, call- same result as top, only our opponent is more confident in his weak hand now.
    Check turn, oppo checks behind- sucks a bit, but we're almost certain we're ahead now and can comfortably bet river.

We have a good hand, but we're not willing to sacrifice our whole stack on it. So I'd be looking to get to showdown for a certain amount of chips, which means exercising pot control- he's going to be quite happy to do the work for us putting chips in. I agree he calls us with worse, but any hand he calls with, he also bets with (IMO). And if he IS on a draw by some miracle, being inexperienced he probably goes with the mantra of having to bluff the river if he misses.

*edit* I just realised also that I forgot the way ahead/behind rule, I think it is one of those situations but it's technically not valid due to player, he'll happily get it in with worse. My point really was whoever's ahead on turn is very likely to still be good on the river, it's not a particularly wet board.
  • edited July 2013
    you sum it up yourself when you say hes over valueing hands and that hes mental, if this is the case id call the turn, let him over value his hand again and call the river. if he turns over KQ or a hand like 67 suited or something over then goodluck to him but im never folding versus this type of player.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Primo - TPTK on Wet Board v Maniac:
    you sum it up yourself when you say hes over valueing hands and that hes mental, if this is the case id call the turn, let him over value his hand again and call the river. if he turns over KQ or a hand like 67 suited or something over then goodluck to him but im never folding versus this type of player.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Yeah I agree.  Im not happy about it but im calling.  If hes raising this big with a 7 or KQ... fair enough - its awful play.  But looking at how he played hands last night he was just mega loose overvalueing hands. Should he be rasing with KJ or K10 or a flush or straight draw no - typically if you get met by a  raise here youre probably beaten but i see oppo and think its just a great opportunity to double up.  He probably raises KQ on the flop IMO so its any 7 really thats beating you. You can talk about ranges and yes villain is quite likely to have a 7 in his range... Meh I call and sigh when he shows 75.

Dont hate the fold at all though.  I would fold a lot of the time here too.
  • edited July 2013
    I've just watched a hand where he raises bottom pair with A6, three-handed on the flop. I retract my previous statement about him not being a bit of a maniac.

I don't mind checking the turn now, as it does seem he's going to bet wider than I thought. I had previously been thinking "a lot of the time he will just check back Qx, JT or two hearts here, won't he?" I'm forced to re-evaluate that line of thinking now.

I have to now agree with calling him down after his raise. I wouldn't rule out the KQ having flatted on the flop and nor would I rule out the 7 but I suppose against his apparent range, we have to call.
  • edited July 2013
    if someone loves the betting lead and you have TPTK...situation is very straight forward.....

check it too em and call till you run out of chips

if they station bet untill you run out of chips

FWIW oppo probably got a 7 )

you probably have to question why oppo doesn't raise the flop and why now the turn, if you have reads that are correct then surely oppo raises flop. Unless oppo is looking for any possible scare card on the turn to rep.
    If oppo is a maniac then they raise flop surely, raising turn is quite a considered play unless they calling flop with draw or 7.
    Your reads kinda don't apply to to this hand ?
    You do not mention if they raise flop 100% or flop & turn 50/50.
    Massive differance to raising flop and to raise turn looking at the action.

• edited July 2013
    if someone loves the betting lead and you have TPTK...situation is very straight forward..... check it too em and call till you run out of chips if they station bet untill you run out of chips FWIW oppo probably got a 7 ) you probably have to question why oppo doesn't raise the flop and why now the turn, if you have reads that are orrect then surely oppo raises flop. Unless oppo is looking for any possible scare card on the turn to rep. If oppo is a maniac then they raise flop surely, raising turn is quite a considered play unless they calling flop with draw. Your reads kinda don't apply to to this hand ?
    Posted by rancid
    Now I'm agreeing with this... I'm so confused. :/
  • edited July 2013
    I've just watched a hand where he raises bottom pair with A6, three-handed on the flop. I retract my previous statement about him not being a bit of a maniac. I don't mind checking the turn now, as it does seem he's going to bet wider than I thought. I had previously been thinking "a lot of the time he will just check back Qx, JT or two hearts here, won't he?" I'm forced to re-evaluate that line of thinking now. I have to now agree with calling him down after his raise. I wouldn't rule out the KQ having flatted on the flop and nor would I rule out the 7 but I suppose against his apparent range, we have to call.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    who is the player in question ive prob played him? he prob doesnt read forum so spill the beans please
  • edited July 2013
    In case paul is too proper it was deviant
  • edited July 2013
    In case paul is too proper it was deviant
    Posted by GELDY
    im happy getting it in then, seen him playing last night. ( words fail me )
  • edited July 2013
    It was the guy who was running unreal last night, erm DeviantSD.

He had something ridiculous like 35k chips reallly early when 2nd place had about 12k.

I admit I took a safer route that maybe missing out on a slight +EV spot and this was cos I was 2nd in chips and he was...

1) the only guy who could destroy my stack
    2) imo not a very good player so I could find much better spots to take his chips

Bear in mind if this all goes in it's going to be like a 400xBB pot @ 30/60 of the Primo. I had good control of the table in terms of knowing who I was going after etc and just didn't think I needed to risk a 200xBB in like the slowest structure on Sky when I had no idea where I was.

FWIW, I'm pretty certain he had a 7, and I did post it on the show to try to find out lol but they didn't show it.
  • edited July 2013
    There's always the clinic on Thursday. :)

Please post it to be shown. I don't see enough hands that confuse me.
  • edited July 2013
    There's always the clinic on Thursday. :) Please post it to be shown. I don't see enough hands that confuse me.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Will 100% be doing this.

There's not enough hands that get shown... full stop.

But yeh he's aggro but there is obv some method to his madness... think he if flats the flop with Kx or Qx it's not with the intention of raising the turn with the same unimproved hand. Likewise if he flats a FD, he's flatting it again on the turn imo. So I reckon his range is more heavily weighted towards hands that beat me and his raise size is just horrible
  • edited July 2013
    my son said snap call :) 
  • edited July 2013
    my son said snap call :) 
    Posted by angie6108
    lolololol
  • edited July 2013
    Board's not that wet.

As played call now and call river (unless it's a really good river card then shove river).

Against a player like you describe I really don't mind checking the flop and letting them barrel everything.