You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

hand in hu hyper micro stakes

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
hi,

i'm a very new player. trying to slowly gain experience / build a bankroll.

playing lots of micro stts.

not got my head around the hypers yet, tho i know i should basically be AGGRO innit.

when i get a decent chip lead should i be going for the kill or trying to deny my opponent chips?

did i play this ok, should i take the free card on the turn or bet smaller. etc.

55P HU HYPER:
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TeddyBloat Small blind   15.00 15.00 615.00
VILLAIN
Big blind   30.00 45.00 340.00
  Your hole cards

TeddyBloat Raise   45.00 90.00 570.00
VILLAIN Call   30.00 120.00 310.00
Flop

• Q
  • A
  • J

VILLAIN Check        
TeddyBloat All-in   570.00 690.00 0.00
VILLAIN All-in   310.00 1000.00 0.00
TeddyBloat Unmatched bet   260.00 740.00 260.00
TeddyBloat Show

VILLAIN Show
  • Q

Turn

River

VILLAIN Win Pair of Queens 740.00   740.00
cheers,
TEDDY

Comments

• edited July 2013

Open shoving is pretty bad IMO were not getting called by a worse hand.

Bet about 50-60. If he just calls, and checks the turn, check behind (if we dont improve).

The fast games are a bit of a gamble, try the turbo games, they are still fast but have a lot more play in them.

If you play the £1 games the rake is only 5% where as 50p ones are 10%

• edited July 2013
    Oooo Hypers :) Not enough Hyper hands get posted in here.

Open shoving isn't that bad imo. Granted we won't get called by worse but we will get folds such a ridiculous amount of the time against most Hyper opponents and when that happens we steal nearly 10% of their stack, we don't have to steal 10% of their stack too many times before they're crippled. People don't often wider their calling range enough even when short stacked and so let their stack dwindle away in these. When we do get called we'll often have live cards and not be in terrible shape.

If we mr, it's obv gotta be to mr/fold. Limping isn't terrible either. Definitely take the free card as played.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: hand in hu hyper micro stakes:
    Oooo Hypers :) Not enough Hyper hands get posted in here. Open shoving isn't that bad imo. Granted we won't get called by worse but we will get folds such a ridiculous amount of the time against most Hyper opponents and when that happens we steal nearly 10% of their stack, we don't have to steal 10% of their stack too many times before they're crippled. People don't often wider their calling range enough even when short stacked and so let their stack dwindle away in these. When we do get called we'll often have live cards and not be in terrible shape. If we mr, it's obv gotta be to mr/fold. Limping isn't terrible either. Definitely take the free card as played.
    Posted by Lambert180

thanks lads.

with regard to not getting called by worse, that was rather the point. felt i could fold out all unmade hands that might have equity against my ten high and maybe even the hand he called with, but as you hinted at larson a 60-80 bet would do the same and for a whole lot less risk. probably too eagre to go for the kill and being a bit of a maniac there lol.

thanks for the input lambert / larsson

cheers,
    TEDDY

• edited July 2013
    You don't wanna bet 60-80 to 'get an answer'. Hypers are so short stacked you just can't be wasting chips like this, so imo if you bet 80 with the OESD here, then you HAVE to call if he shoves, even tho we don't want to call the shove, so don't bet and take the free card.
  • edited July 2013
    You need to put in a small bet to try and win there and then. Checking is pretty bad.
  • edited July 2013
    yah i'm not ever betting to get an answer, i  bet when either i want my oppo to call or to fold, or when i dont mind what  they do.  if he has a worse hand than mine then he folds for 60-80, shoving just puts my stack at risk for little increase in the chance the villain folds; i realise this now.

if do make a smaller  bet id probably fold to a shove on that board [which was probably in mind when i shoved tbh], do you think thats nitty in hypers lambert?

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited July 2013
    Teddy if you want some games at turbos, 50p or a 1pound, i'll give you a game
  • edited July 2013
    nice one, sir, will take you up on that offer.

i just regged for an mtt though, and multitabling is beyond my ken at the moment innit.

is there a way of arranging to play someone /inviting them to an stt, or is it a case of sitting at the tables and waiting?

cheers,
    TEDDY?
  • edited July 2013

lol anytime, send me a message when you want a game

• edited July 2013
    Checking isn't bad at all when we have position and it's by far the best option imo.

Think about it, what can we make fold by betting....

Ax - no
    Qx - no
    Jx - probably not from his stack size
    FDs - no

We can probably make Kx fold although most Kx hands have a pair AK, KQ, KJ, or the straight, KT (things like K2-K6 probably fold pre).

Everything other than Kx (so cards Tx and lower) we already have beat, we have the best possible high cards that aren't Kx or a pair. So every single hand that folds is behind anyway and near enough every single hand that is ahead will call.

We have position and he's checked to us, we have been given a free opportunity to hit our draw and we might already have the best hand anyway. By betting all we do is make him fold everything we beat and force ourselves to fold if he raises when all we had to do was check and give ourselves a free chance to catch up.

IMO diong anything but checking the flop is really bad, even more so cos he only has 300 chips left and will probably go with any pair, any draw, anything (and we're behind to all of it).
  • edited July 2013
    thanks lambert that makes a ton of sense.

hard for me to cram that level of thinking into 10secs of timebar though lol.

thanks for the insight squire.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited July 2013

Checking isn't bad at all when we have position and it's by far the best option imo. Think about it, what can we make fold by betting.... Ax - no Qx - no Jx - probably not from his stack size FDs - no We can probably make Kx fold although most Kx hands have a pair AK, KQ, KJ, or the straight, KT (things like K2-K6 probably fold pre). Everything other than Kx (so cards Tx and lower) we already have beat, we have the best possible high cards that aren't Kx or a pair. So every single hand that folds is behind anyway and near enough every single hand that is ahead will call. We have position and he's checked to us, we have been given a free opportunity to hit our draw and we might already have the best hand anyway. By betting all we do is make him fold everything we beat and force ourselves to fold if he raises when all we had to do was check and give ourselves a free chance to catch up. IMO diong anything but checking the flop is really bad, even more so cos he only has 300 chips left and will probably go with any pair, any draw, anything (and we're behind to all of it).
    Posted by Lambert180
    Checkings way 2 passive, what do you do when they call and we wiff the turn?

100% this is a small bet here, he can fold loads of hands, more so than hands he can call with.

Unless you are saying check down all the way to give up when we miss.

We have raised pre, we need to continue this on the flop.

• edited July 2013
    This is a definite stonewall check imo.

What do you mean what do you do when they call? Most villians are just never gonna bluff us off with a worse hand here on such a scary board. Like I said, there are hardly any hands that are beating us that will fold.

We check the flop, see a free turn card. If he bets the turn he's virutally always got a better hand than us and we just saved chips, if he checks, we check again, another free chance to hit. We miss again on the river, then yeh give up. It's SOO important that we don't give him a foot back into the game, villian has 310 left atm, + 120 in the pot (if he's got the best hand), so that's 430, we stick another 60-80 to fold and suddenly it's back to square one.

Remember, there are loads of times we will check it down to the river and he'll show 8T, 89, 67 blah blah and we actually win (or split) cos his stack is too short to attempt a bluff so he'll just give up on this flop.

Hypers are a very different beast and it's 1000000% vital that you know how to play given the stack size... the guy has 10xBB, we simply just cannot bet 2-3xBB, fold to a raise and gift him chips.

As it is, he had 11xBB pre, and at this stage I'm shoving or folding my entire range. The only tiny exception is if I have AA and my opponent is sooo bad that he won't notice/think anything of it that I normally only shove and now I'm min raising.  I'd shove pre.

What hands does he fold?

What hands does he call with?
  • edited July 2013
    On top of ALL that.

If we bet 60, and he shoves, then he only has an extra 250 to shove. So we will be in a position where we have to call 250 to win 490 so there's NO way we can fold for that price with an OESD.

So we're putting ourself in a spot where we HAVE to call the all in, even though we don't want to.
  • edited July 2013

He can have any2 and many hands he can fold. Chances are he hasn't got an AJQ or 2 clubs. A far higher percentage of the time he wont have versus hitting the board. It's a 50p hyper people will call with any2.

I understand what you are saying, and you've put up a good case for it.

You are right about stacks, you just want to put pressure on when you have them covered (shove or fold). I'd prob fold this hand in a hyper.

With the OESD there is a couple of benefits of betting, 1) we can win the pot there and then 2) we have position if they just call and check the turn (we can check the turn behind if we havnt improved) 3) if we hit our straight and they have called, theres a good chance we are getting paid off 4) if they shove (flop), not ideal, but we are getting ok odds to call.

lol funny what you say about min raising aces

Me and another reg that have played loads of turbo games together have a bit of a tell, we always limp monsters! A limp means the nuts

• edited July 2013
    As my results show I'm not great at hypers......

But I think I c-bet here almost all the time
  • edited July 2013
    . You are right about stacks, you just want to put pressure on when you have them covered (shove or fold).

Me and another reg that have played loads of turbo games together have a bit of a tell, we always limp monsters! A limp means the nuts
    Posted by LARSON7
    the shove fold / call stage is the one i find difficult.

i should shove fairly liberally when ive got a 3/1 chip lead, yah?

3/2 chips i've been min raising still just to keep chipping away at them, esp if they are compliant.

found out the hard wayt re limped monsters lol

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited July 2013
    No, your chip lead is irrelevant. If it's 700 v 300 at 10/20 then shoving too wide is bad, if it's 500 v 500 so you don'tt even have a chip lead BUT it's 20/40 or 25/50 then shoving wide is much better.

It's all about what the effective stack (the shortest stack) is in terms of number of BBs. When an opponent has around 10xBB (or you do) or less, then you very very rarely ever (if ever) wanna be raising if the you're not happy to get it in. You also don't wanna minraise to call off a shove with hands that arent' strong enough to induce....

For instance he has 10xBB, you shove A2 because you can make hands like A3-A6, A7, A8 maybe to fold, whereas if you minraise, they will shove on you and we'll be getting it in in very bad shape.

Likewise we shove KQ cos we want him to fold all them Ax hands that are actually ahead of us, but if he calls we're not in terrible shape, but we shove cos we want the absolute maximum chance of making them fold. We're happy enough to get it in, but we're not strong enough to try to induce them to get it in. Whereas AK, we want to induce them to shove on us cos they will shove pretty much Ax and loads of Kx which we have crushed.