You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

You are JC Tran!

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat

Let's imagine you can somehow swap with JC Tran and play instead of him...

Qualified for the WSOP 'November Nine'...

Big chip leader...

How do you approach it personally?

Comments

• edited July 2013
    A reminder of the payouts:

1st = $8,359,531
    2nd = $5,173,170
    3rd = $3,727,023
    4th = $2,791,983
    5th = $2,106,526
    6th = $1,600,792
    7th = $1,225,224
    8th = $944,593
    9th = $733,224
  • edited July 2013

Would you 'nit up' and try to lock up a decent amount and let the others knock each other out? Or go for the win and use your stack?

Obviously some people might say 'it depends on the cards / situations' etc. However, before you start, what would be your intention?

• edited July 2013

Ask for a 9 way chop in relation to current stacks before a card is dealt.
  • edited July 2013
    I'd probably avoid massive clashes with fellow big stacks unless I'm pretty strong, but other than that, think I'd just play my normal game.

Would be pretty puke to go home with less than $1mil from that spot like but I wouldn't just nit up.
  • edited July 2013
    Days 2 and 3 of the WSOP he was short stacked,
    then he went for it!
    I'm pretty sure he'll bullyh from the start
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: You are JC Tran!:
    I'd probably avoid massive clashes with fellow big stacks unless I'm pretty strong, but other than that, think I'd just play my normal game. Would be pretty puke to go home with less than $1mil from that spot like but I wouldn't just nit up.
    Posted by Lambert180
    ye you would
  • edited July 2013
    He's in a brilliant position obviously! It mostly depends on the seat draws, would be good if he has position on the short stacks then he can put big pressure on the medium stacks who don't wanna bust before the Shorty's. 
  • edited July 2013
    He's going back with 30million @ 20k/40k I believe, so he has 750xBB!!! There's no way I'd be nitting up, it's not like a bit of raise/folding is gonna put us in danger of being in shove/fold mode.

The two shorties I believe are just under 20xBB. Plenty of room to play some poker and still virtually guarantee laddering up quite a few places anyway.

EDIT: Just realised he has 38million, so he's got 950xBB lol. What a structure!

EDIT: Bigger sigh, just realised I think they're coming back at 200k/400k, not 20/40 lol, so he has 95xBB

#fail
  • edited July 2013

If a deal was done (with chips as they are) how much would you be looking for?
  • edited July 2013
    If anyone doesn't know rough stacks are...

26                (million)

So roughly 191 million chips in play in total.

and the total FT PP is £26,662,066.

He's got pretty much exactly 20% of the chips in play, so to do a deal I'd want the money for 2nd place
  • edited July 2013
    I think the best way to play would be to put the pressure on the middling stacks. None of those guys are going to want to risk going at it with a big chip leader. Going out first when sitting in the middle of the leaderboard, while there are a few very small stacks possibly just hanging on, would be an ICM disaster for those guys.

In reality, I think I'd probably just sit back for a while and see how far I can get before dropping to 40BB or so. I don't think that's the best way to play the game, but it's probably the smart thing to do for your life. You might be able to ladder up to fifth or so by just putting your feet up and playing very tight. That's the sort of money that can change your family's lives.

Depends how much money you've already got, I suppose.
  • edited July 2013
    Don't think its just the money jumps people worry about its the massive prestige you get on and off the table. You will always be known as the "world champ". Also you are more or less guaranteed a huge sponsorship deal with one the big poker sites, which is kinda nice I suppose. I am looking forward to it and I'll be up till stupid o clock watching it. 

JC tran for the win. Seen him play few times before he's really solid and reads the game very well.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah, I agree about the prestige element. It's not something I'd particularly worry about, though. I'd want the monies!

Seriously, I'd be thinking more about the impact an extra couple of million would have on my life and those of people close to me. I think that's probably the most important thing in the minds of all the players at the table. Of course the prestige would be a consideration but if I could lock-up second, third or even fourth from Tran's position, I would.

I tried watching the final table last year. I had to go to bed when they were three-handed. About six hours later I put it back on and they were still three-handed. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again.
  • edited July 2013

Intersting stuff, thanks.
  • edited July 2013
    play poker yo!
  • edited July 2013
    Always play for the win by using whatever stragtey works depending on the table dynamics/relative chipstacks

Sometimes you can fold alot, sometimes u can raise every pot and both could be right to give you the best chance of winning! Adapt to the table as people exit basically.. As usual in poker though... It depends...

But ye go FTW

• edited July 2013
    Nowadays the WSOP main is probably the only tournament where winning can have benefits beyond the cash prize, such as fame and sponsorship. So while the players obviously should be concious of ICM for every decision, everyone should play for the win.
  • edited July 2013
    like bighawk said apply pressure to the medium stacks they will not want to bust early when they are a few shorties.

also jc tran is big favourite with his experience and big stack as long he does not get very unlucky I can`t see anyone else winning tbh.

• edited July 2013
    Well if I was JC Tran then I'd play my normal game and play for the win. It's not like the guy doesn't already have a lot of winnings from poker. If, however I was an "amateur" (which I am lol) where my winnings so far in poker didn't amass to much (less than 50k) then I think I'd nit it up somewhat and wait for a few players to drop out before trying to use my stack to my advantage.
  • edited July 2013

Assuming you were JC Tran and could sell your seat...

...how much would you want for it?