You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bipolar Affective Disorder & Me

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat

This is long overdue, so thanks to GBUK for giving me the strengh to do this.
  Thank you gemma you have pretty much summed up the whole ordeal. As for my illness i have Bipolar Affective Disorder, some already know this. I got mis-dianosed in 2005, i got properley dianosed after i had a massive episode end of 2007,as a result i lost all my friends as they didn't understand it & neither did i, there is a lot of stigma reguarding mental health that's why i left Morecambe as i weren't treated as a person, i couldn't go out & enjoy myself as people would think i was having an episode.

In 2009 i found sky poker & it saved my life as i found it helped me to concentrate as i've played cards since the age of 7, i met new friends on sky poker & wanted to give something back so i started forum dtd. As for my condition i do not want people to feel sorry for me as i've been battling it from day one & will continue to do so as i want to control it, not it control me & since moving i'm winning the battle. i may well have an episode in the years to come,that can't be helped & end up in hospital.
  All i want at the end of the day, people either take me as i am or they can do one, am never again gonna waste my time on people that are not worth it, am only gonna surrond myself with mates who know what i've got and accept it, b4 2005 i had my own business & a website for iom TT homestays, I was a regular guy still am, don't need sympathy or people feeling sorry for me, just be a mate, I should have told you all what i had ages ago, but at that time i didn't have the courage to, well i'm a lot stronger now and am no longer ashamed of my condition, i'll be down-sizing my friends list as there are a few that i don't even know anyway thanks for listening & gl at the tables.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    GLmicheal,you,re one of us ,tc m8
  • edited July 2013
    Nice post Michael
  • edited July 2013

as only a distant skypoker friend i am sure i wil not be listed on your downsized friends list.  but that doesn't matter.  if i can help, just say.  you've progressed well i see.  i am pleased to see that you have arrived here in good shape.    nice OP.

rob

• edited July 2013
    I just want to wish you the best of everything and say thank you for what you have contributed to Sky Poker.
  • edited July 2013
    brave post, take care....
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Bipolar Affective Disorder & Me:
           This is long overdue, so thanks to GBUK for giving me the strengh to do this.   Thank you gemma you have pretty much summed up the whole ordeal. As for my illness i have Bipolar Affective Disorder, some already know this. I got mis-dianosed in 2005, i got properley dianosed after i had a massive episode end of 2007,as a result i lost all my friends as they didn't understand it & neither did i, there is a lot of stigma reguarding mental health that's why i left Morecambe as i weren't treated as a person, i couldn't go out & enjoy myself as people would think i was having an episode.    In 2009 i found sky poker & it saved my life as i found it helped me to concentrate as i've played cards since the age of 7, i met new friends on sky poker & wanted to give something back so i started forum d td. As for my condition i do not want people to feel sorry for me as i've been battling it from day one & will continue to do so as i want to control it, not it control me & since moving i'm winning the battle. i may well have an episode in the years to come,that can't be helped & end up in hospital.   All i want at the end of the day, people either take me as i am or they can do one, am never again gonna waste my time on people that are not worth it, am only gonna surrond myself with mates who know what i've got and accept it, b4 2005 i had my own business & a website for iom TT homestays, I was a regular guy still am, don't need sympathy or people feeling sorry for me, just be a mate, I should have told you all what i had ages ago, but at that time i didn't have the courage to, well i'm a lot stronger now and am no longer ashamed of my condition, i'll be down-sizing my friends list as there are a few that i don't even know anyway thanks for listening & gl at the tables.
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    A BIG well done to you for having the courage to take the time to write this post. It just goes to show how much you have progressed in controlling this condition over the last couple of years.

I remember you having an episode at an SPT once and I can understand from an outsiders point of view and for the many who don't even know what this type of condition entails that it would seam very strange indeed and in some ways can be quite scary to anyone who doesn't know what is happening at the time.

Thankfully, you had many friends around you at that time who did know what you were going through and were able to lend a helping hand including the folks at Sky Poker who dealt with it in a sensitive manner.

It's great to see you coming to terms with it taking back control of your life imo and I wish you all the best for the future.

ps. Hopefully you consider me as a friend and I can stay on your list :)

Best of Luck.
    Pokertrev. 
  • edited July 2013
    Nice post m8; hope to see you at an SPT soon.
  • edited July 2013
    Tricky one this.

I'm not going to try to relate my life to yours because obviously everyone is different. I've found that there's nothing more annoying than people telling me to do something because it worked for them. I'm just going to wish you luck.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Bipolar Affective Disorder & Me:
           This is long overdue, so thanks to GBUK for giving me the strengh to do this.   Thank you gemma you have pretty much summed up the whole ordeal. As for my illness i have Bipolar Affective Disorder, some already know this. I got mis-dianosed in 2005, i got properley dianosed after i had a massive episode end of 2007,as a result i lost all my friends as they didn't understand it & neither did i, there is a lot of stigma reguarding mental health that's why i left Morecambe as i weren't treated as a person, i couldn't go out & enjoy myself as people would think i was having an episode.    In 2009 i found sky poker & it saved my life as i found it helped me to concentrate as i've played cards since the age of 7, i met new friends on sky poker & wanted to give something back so i started forum d td. As for my condition i do not want people to feel sorry for me as i've been battling it from day one & will continue to do so as i want to control it, not it control me & since moving i'm winning the battle. i may well have an episode in the years to come,that can't be helped & end up in hospital.   All i want at the end of the day, people either take me as i am or they can do one, am never again gonna waste my time on people that are not worth it, am only gonna surrond myself with mates who know what i've got and accept it, b4 2005 i had my own business & a website for iom TT homestays, I was a regular guy still am, don't need sympathy or people feeling sorry for me, just be a mate, I should have told you all what i had ages ago, but at that time i didn't have the courage to, well i'm a lot stronger now and am no longer ashamed of my condition, i'll be down-sizing my friends list as there are a few that i don't even know anyway thanks for listening & gl at the tables.
    Posted by DTWBANDIT

Good to hear it Mike. 

Brave post and good luck for the future. Hope to see you at an SPT again soon! 

• edited July 2013
    I'd like like to wish you the very best for the future. 
  • edited July 2013
    Hi DT

What a great post. I admire you for putting it up. Not being in control leaves us with difficulties. You've made good decisions that have helped you feel an improvement in your life so congratulations. If we don't make decisions in our lives then we live it by default, don't we? You've done this and should feel proud of yourself, mate. All the best.
  • edited July 2013

Hey DTW!

Nice post!

For what it's worth, i don't think anyone will think any differently.

I always liked your positive posts, and really appreciate all the hard work you do on the monday night DTD game.

• edited July 2013
    Michael, nice brave post, hope to remain on your friends list, as a fellow dragon i know the other stuff your going through at the moment and hope you get this dealt with as well in a satisfactory manor.......you know im here for you if you need anything, 

Good luck

Gary
  • edited July 2013
    I admire you Michael!
    Life is a struggle, be strong!
  • edited July 2013
    Brilliant post Michael.

Ive only met you briefly at glasgow (JockBMW) introduced us and at DTD.  Hope to see you again soon.

jamie
  • edited July 2013
    Stay strong mate, know a bit as my Daughter has the same problem, but copes well as i'm 
    sure you do..
  • edited July 2013
    Best of luck pal with everything.
    Also a huge thanks for bringing us the Monday night forum game which got me hooked on Sky.
    We can never change the past all we can do is make our future better.

Pat
  • edited July 2013
    All the best mate
  • edited July 2013
    Since u joined Team Dragons Michael it has been a pleasure knowing you and speaking to you on a daily basis and as u know we are a very supportive team (as im sure others are).Thats why one of the most important things about being in a team is the supportive side on personal issues that we share together along with all the poker stuff. The work u do on the DTD forum is commendable. Be strong,and as u know we are all there for u when needed.

Phil.
  • edited July 2013

Thank You all for your kind comments, maybe it is a brave post as people with mental health issues is a taboo & people don't like to talk about it which is fair enough.I felt the need to post so as to move forward & acheive My main goal which is to play an SPT without having an episode, as trev has said i had one at Nottingham DTD & i know some people were shocked which is fair enough as they didn't know. the sky poker team handled it superbly tho in heinsight i should have let people know just didn't know how too at that time. For me i've finally accepted it so feel comfortable in letting people know & am now not ashamed to talk about it.

As for my friends lists am only deleting the ones i don't know where i've added them when high as i don't go low.GL to all playing SPT DTD Next weekend am sure you'll have a great time & i'll deffo be at an SPT soon, Thanks for your support & Big Thank You to my Dragon Team Mates as well who have helped me through a tough time as have Forum DTD FB Admins.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Bipolar Affective Disorder & Me:
        Thank You all for your kind comments, maybe it is a brave post as people with mental health issues is a taboo & people don't like to talk about it which is fair enough.I felt the need to post so as to move forward & acheive My main goal which is to play an SPT without having an episode, as trev has said i had one at Nottingham DTD & i know some people were shocked which is fair enough as they didn't know. the sky poker team handled it superbly tho in heinsight i should have let people know just didn't know how too at that time. For me i've finally accepted it so feel comfortable in letting people know & am now not ashamed to talk about it.    As for my friends lists am only deleting the ones i don't know where i've added them when high as i don't go low.GL to all playing SPT DTD Next weekend am sure you'll have a great time & i'll deffo be at an SPT soon, Thanks for your support & Big Thank You to my Dragon Team Mates as well who have helped me through a tough time as have Forum DTD FB Admins.
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
     HI DT

Nice to see Sky dealt with things to your satisfaction. I've had epilepsy since i was about 10 years old with varying degrees of frequencies. I always found that it helped to have someone around to inform what to do if i had an 'episode'. It just seemed to be the fair thing to do as it must be a be frightening for them if i'd have an attack . TBH my friends and workmates have been great throughout my career. Authorities/bosses were a different matter however but i suppose in this age of health and safety its to be expected, i suppose. I was a maths teacher though retired now thank heavens but i still hve plans for the future. No matter what we may have pulling us back a little on occasion, we can still get enjoyment from our lives in so many ways. All the best m8.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Bipolar Affective Disorder & Me:
    In Response to Re: Bipolar Affective Disorder & Me :  HI DT Nice to see Sky dealt with things to your satisfaction. I've had epilepsy since i was about 10 years old with varying degrees of frequencies. I always found that it helped to have someone around to inform what to do if i had an 'episode'. It just seemed to be the fair thing to do as it must be a be frightening for them if i'd have an attack . TBH my friends and workmates have been great throughout my career. Authorities/bosses were a different matter however but i suppose in this age of health and safety its to be expected, i suppose. I was a maths teacher though retired now thank heavens but i still hve plans for the future. No matter what we may have pulling us back a little on occasion, we can still get enjoyment from our lives in so many ways. All the best m8.
    Posted by profman15

Couldn't agree with you more Prof ty & all the best to you in the future m8
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks for the Monday night DTD Michael.
    Wouldn't be the same without it.

Keep The Faith !
  • edited July 2013
    looks like you have come to terms with it - well done
    and you´re so right that many people can´t - even as observers
    best wishes for the future
  • edited July 2013

Good to hear you are coping well Michael, & it'd be just lovely to see you at DTD this weekend.

Can you pass on my best wishes to Chris (scouse red), as I've not heard from him for a while, & I know life was a little difficult for him, what with this & that...

He was a terrific friend both to you, & me, during those difficult days.

Also, a huge thank you for your DTD Forum work, what an institution that has become, & it epitomises the Community here, folks just having fun at the poker tables. Long may it last.   

• edited July 2013
    Nice post - Sounds like you have already moved forward a lot by posting on here - GL + WD on the huge success of the forum Monday night DTD

Paul
  • edited July 2013
    Great to have you back on here, Michael. Catch up with you soon and good luck at the tables and beyond.