You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I hate these spots

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
On TV you hear they are only doing this with drawing hands, but then as I am predominantly an MTT player I am used to people doing this with top pair top kicker a lot of the time.
What is the standard play here readless against a short stacker?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceBatkin88Small blind £0.05£0.05£23.59HadjinikBig blind £0.10£0.15£24.85 Your hole cardsJQ   GEMOFold    GoldSharkCall £0.10£0.25£10.26hr1966Fold    Batkin88Raise £0.35£0.60£23.24HadjinikFold    GoldSharkCall £0.30£0.90£9.96Flop  6Q4   Batkin88Bet £0.68£1.58£22.56GoldSharkAll-in £9.96£11.54£0.00Batkin88???? 

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Short stack or not it is still an extra 90+ big blinds and for me it comes down to what he has been doing in previous hands.

If he has been playing this way time and again be happy to call it off but if its the first time you have seen this from him i would lay this down in a heartbeat with so little invested already.
  • edited July 2013
    He isn't short stacking, his shove is for 100xBB!

It's pretty annoying but I'd just sigh fold
  • edited July 2013
    Readless, it's a fold. Wait to see how frequently he does this, until you have a bigger hand or until someone else calls him. We're only folding top-pair, Jack-kicker, so it's not as though we're being massively exploitable by folding if he is semi-bluffing, as he'll have decent equity against us anyway. If he is bluffing we'll catch him another time for his stack, since he's making such big, reckless moves.

I've made loads of calls like this, though. lol
  • edited July 2013
    by shortstacking I meant he bought in min and spun up
  • ybyb
    edited July 2013
    think i'd need AQ to call here readless
  • edited July 2013
    You shouldn't hate these spots, you should love them. Your opponent is making a play which can be so easily exploited by you if you know what you're doing. If this is the first time I've ever seen villain make this play and they've been passive up till now then I probably fold without a set. If it's the first time I've seen them make this play but they've still been fairly aggro then I'll expand my calling range to include overpairs/AQ and 2 pair. If they've made this play a lot then I'll call as low as QT.