You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was the blinds getting too high for this call?

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic

i have just been knocked out of the mini and where it seemed to go wrong was after this hand.
when the second 10 hit's the river i was left wondering if their is a chance to bluff but then again would he fall for it or would he still call.

day4eire76 Small blind  100.00 100.00 6952.50
Hywel_rob Big blind  200.00 300.00 6787.50
  Your hole cards

xRaise  400.00 700.00 10547.50
bosswite Fold     
craigcu12 Call  400.00 1100.00 10910.00
scousestar Fold     
day4eire76 Fold     
Hywel_rob Fold     
Flop

• A

xBet  1100.00 2200.00 9447.50
craigcu12 Call  1100.00 3300.00 9810.00
Turn

xBet  1650.00 4950.00 7797.50
craigcu12 Call  1650.00 6600.00 8160.00
River

xBet  1200.00 7800.00 6597.50

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Calling pre is fine imo, plenty deep enough for the implied odds we get when flopping a whoppa and we can also just play some pokerz IP when we miss.

I don't love that he pots the flop,might actually fold here, if we don't fold here then it's hard to fold the turn, obv just fold the river.
  • edited July 2013
    If your playing these sort of hands then you need to consider making moves with them at some point rather than just waiting to hit a flush/straight. Obviously this is only if the right oppertunity arises (ie. the opponent seems weak/you think you can get him to fold a marginal hand)

In this situation I think you can fold both the flop and turn unless your against a LAG that's standard is to pot flop (and they c-bet a lot) 
  • edited July 2013
    I think I would fold the flop or raise I wouldn't call unless both us and the villain was deeper stacked.

If calling you should def call the turn as his bet sizing is well off and likely looks like he also has a drawing hand. Once you hit the river although his bet is extremely I fold although it now really looks like a missed spade draw like yours but it's a big risk to shove and hope he doesn't hold a half decent ace.
  • edited July 2013
    Personally I fold pre, but I would either ship or fold flop. Calling is by far the worst option.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2013
    calling pre is a pretty big leak imo
  • edited July 2013
    Don't mind a call pre in position. We are playing 55bigs. But we need to be confident enough in our post flop play to make it worthwhile.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah I can't see any problem with calling pre this deep as long as we're good enough postflop to not just play fit/fold on the flop
  • edited July 2013
    You need to know if this is a good player and what his pot bet represents on the flop. Usually very strong hand, but some weak players will bet like this to 'find out where they are at' with their draws or a weak pair. 

I think he has a weak ace as played and you can bluff shove the river now if you have a solid read that he can fold a tp hand. However, this is usually when i have to type 'nh' in the chatbox to his A3hh and then amend the notes to 'NEVER BLUFF THIS PLAYER'.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2013
    i don't think the fact that we have 55 bigs or whatever is reason to go calling raises from utg opens with any suited connector hands, presumably because we are 'looking for spots' and think we can outplay everyone on the table

i'd much prefer just opening loads more in position when we get to steal lots / play for pots in position and with initiative. a lot of the time people say they are calling these hands with the intention of not just playing fit/fold poker but thats invariably what they end up doing, you need to have very good postflop play/handreading skills to make this good imo
  • edited July 2013

i have just had a thought about his pot sized bet on the flop could it be possible that he had the nut flush draw himself.
    i probably will never know unless he comes but it was wrong to call post flop as he was too aggro and the board was dry to most other hands that would call preflop the only hands i could see hitting are A5 A10 or 55.

• edited July 2013
    So he can't raise pre with A2-AK, KK, QQ, JJ, AA, 55, TT, KQ, KJ, QJ, (without FDs)? Obv it's easy to say 'but would he full pot these?' but obviously his bet sizing is awful no matter what hand he has so meh.

That doesn't even include all the hands he could have raised pre and just be c-betting with no hand, no draw.
  • edited July 2013

U LOST A 3RD OF UR STACK HOLDING NOTHING. THINK THE ANSWERS RITE THERE......

• edited July 2013

the hands above are the ones he could put me on if i did raise post flop and then their would be the problem if he shipped it.
    with the Axs what i mean by that is he could well be holding that so if a flush comes i am still behind
    but it was wrong to call it post flop.

• edited July 2013
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah looking back this is a fold pre if you play it the way you have I would shove the turn as a bluff as I would not put him on a made hand here, or the easy option fold the flop.