You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Deals in tournaments?

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat
Have you ever been able to deal in mtts on sky? 

does anyone else agree it would be a good addition., especially in long structured games??

Comments

• edited July 2013
    IMO the prize pools even in the main events are way too small to even consider doing deals.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Deals in tournaments?:
    Have you ever been able to deal in mtts on sky?  does anyone else agree it would be a good addition., especially in long structured games??
    Posted by jordz16
    No not as yet..and I don't think it will either....like macca says not big enough..but I don't agree with it anyway.
    If I am right Dtd have even stopped doing official deals in their games..
  • edited July 2013
    In the Main Events and Rollers etc. I think they'd be a good addition all other tournaments I agree with macapaca
  • edited July 2013
    I know most players will play for money lol

If it is a pub game, or a home game, we usually end up splitting (chip leader gets bit more) and it will be a lot less money than the tournies on sky.

I just play for fun, so would always be happy with some sort of split. I generally like everyone I play poker with, so that's fairer doing a split.

I don't understand say it is 500, first is 300 second is 200. You have an even stack, why would you not want £250?

When, it is just one hand either way. You could have an edge, but in 1 hand lose it all.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah im only talking about the big long structured MTTS sometimes you will get a final 3 or 4  of good solid MTT players where there is little no edge, yet you can sit there for an extra hour when all its coming down to is an ability to win flips. I just think it would be ideal for time saving purposes. 
  • edited July 2013
    More important than this, and much more common on here is that a FT gets down to maybe 2-3 left and effective stacks are like <20xBB so the skill edge is limited even if there is a big skill difference between the players. Often flipping for like £1k which is pretty crazy.

Not saying it's pure luck, there is still a fair amount of skill with like 15-20xBB but it requires alot more rungood than if it was deeper.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Deals in tournaments?:
    More important than this, and much more common on here is that a FT gets down to maybe 2-3 left and effective stacks are like <20xBB so the skill edge is limited even if there is a big skill difference between the players. Often flipping for like £1k which is pretty crazy. Not saying it's pure luck, there is still a fair amount of skill with like 15-20xBB but it requires alot more rungood than if it was deeper.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This.

The argument of "the prizepools are too small to be doing deals" makes me laugh.
    Out loud.
    While rolling around on the floor.
    Almost so much that my @rse falls off.

You're arguably is completely subjective, to you!

Okay, maybe YOU don't want to deal deep in MTTs for a grand, because it's just 1k, or 500, or whatever 1st place prize is, because it isn't a lot for you.

But some people, might. For some people it IS a big deal. For a few recreational players, maybe they're bricking it something wicked when they make a deep run in the next UKOPS, and the poor man/woman is about to keel over at the thought of flipping for a 5 figure payday.

For Zeus's sake people, stop starting every argument against the motion with...

"Well, I wouldn't utilise the ability to deal, so... we shouldn't have them."
    What you're really doing - '(I'm gunna pipe up and say why I don't want deals! EVERYone should listen to and mayyyybe even follow my rules. Scr£w thinking about other people and what THEY might want. Pssssh!)'

There are almost no disadvantages for the allowance of deals to take place, when people want them.
    I just find it pretty funny how people come into threads like these, in favour of no changes to be made to the current "NO DEALS" system. Think about others, because you have nothing to lose by arguing for the motion. If you don't want a deal, hey, great! You can still decline them at the FT of a Sky Tourney if you like, no problem.

Just let others have the choice when they get there too, s'all i'm askin'.

If you have an argument why deals are bad... (NOT why deals won't make an impact to you, or why you're indifferent), then be my guest, because I can't think of one.
  • edited July 2013
    I know most players will play for money lol If it is a pub game, or a home game, we usually end up splitting (chip leader gets bit more) and it will be a lot less money than the tournies on sky.   I just play for fun, so would always be happy with some sort of split. I generally like everyone I play poker with, so that's fairer doing a split. I don't understand say it is 500, first is 300 second is 200. You have an even stack, why would you not want £250? When, it is just one hand either way. You could have an edge, but in 1 hand lose it all.
    Posted by LARSON7
    I play loads of pub poker and have never seen any "business" or "Pot splits". If you do win, you buy the next round though..............EVEN IF ITS NOT YOUR ROUND LOL....
  • edited July 2013
    Whilst  I think that if everyone had said "yeah, we should have deals on Sky" Smitalos would probably have argued the opposite, I do tend to agree with him on this one.

Regularly, I read the prize pools are too small to have the option to do a deal.
    Why is that?

The reason why a prize pool may be relatively small is, stating the obvious here, that it's a small buy in competition.
    Everything is relative. If you have a bankroll of £15 and you're heads up and 1st pays £30 and 2nd £20, you might really like the option to split it. You've just more than doubled your bankroll.

As Smitalos has written, there is always the option to refuse a deal.

Personally, I will happily deal when playing live regardless of stacks or my position in the competition.
    Maybe it's not the +ev way to do it but I don't really care. We've all had a good night, made a few quid and everyone is happy.
    Doing the right thing in monetary terms is not always the only consideration to me.
  • edited July 2013
    I can think of one reason why Sky wouldn't like deals.

They have a television channel and having their main event end suddenly at 11pm with a 6-way chop isn't going to help them make good TV. The 'glamour' of an outright winner is pretty important from that point of view.

I'm struggling to see other good reasons not to have deals. Software restrictions are likely a factor at the moment, though.
  • edited July 2013
    Tbf though, the only ME that has any hope of even reaching the FT before the show ends is Tuesdays ME. All the others I don't think you'd get a deal pre-midnight, but yeah valid point.

....ALTHOUGH.... generally you'd do a deal where player A, B and C get £500 each, and then they carry on playing to see who gets the last £200, so they'd carry on play anyway.
  • edited July 2013
    Tbf though, the only ME that has any hope of even reaching the FT before the show ends is Tuesdays ME. All the others I don't think you'd get a deal pre-midnight, but yeah valid point. ....ALTHOUGH.... generally you'd do a deal where player A, B and C get £500 each, and then they carry on playing to see who gets the last £200, so they'd carry on play anyway.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Both true.

Either way, deals would reduce Sky's ability to market their tournament prizes if they keep getting chopped. It may not be hugely significant but it's something that I'm sure they'd rather avoid. Since deals probably aren't much of a factor in player numbers, I don't see any advantage in it for them.

From the players' point of view, opportunities to deal make sense.
  • edited July 2013
    deals do me a favour, the prize pools on sky are dog t urd. why would anybody want to deal.
  • edited July 2013
    I can think of one reason why Sky wouldn't like deals. They have a television channel and having their main event end suddenly at 11pm with a 6-way chop isn't going to help them make good TV. The 'glamour' of an outright winner is pretty important from that point of view. I'm struggling to see other good reasons not to have deals. Software restrictions are likely a factor at the moment, though.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    That's not relevant Mr Borin. 

The TV Channel shows less - far less - than 1% of the Tournaments which run on SkyPoker.com. The tail does not wag the dog.

• edited July 2013
    I know most players will play for money lol If it is a pub game, or a home game, we usually end up splitting (chip leader gets bit more) and it will be a lot less money than the tournies on sky.   I just play for fun, so would always be happy with some sort of split. I generally like everyone I play poker with, so that's fairer doing a split. I don't understand say it is 500, first is 300 second is 200. You have an even stack, why would you not want £250? When, it is just one hand either way. You could have an edge, but in 1 hand lose it all.
    Posted by LARSON7
    If you are regularly making final tables at those stakes and feel you have an edge then you wouldn't want to do a deal like that as it would be bad for you in the long term.
  • edited July 2013
    deals do me a favour, the prize pools on sky are dog t urd. why would anybody want to deal.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Take it you didn't read Smitty's post then? lol.

Having £200 up top in an MTT is alot to some people, to others £1k is small. If you don't want to deal, you just don't tick the box to deal and everything carries on as though the option was never there... but at least if the option is there, people who want to can do it with others who want to.
  • edited July 2013
    I agree deals should be an option, the ft of the turbo last night was painful to watch especially when the last 2 where flipping for £500 with as little as J high! Although I would prob only use the function in a turbo it would still be a good introduction to SKY in my eyes
  • edited July 2013
    DEAL OR NO-DEAL, make me an offer..
  • edited July 2013
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Dear lord this post is awful.

The opportunity to facilitate deals takes nothing away from those who wouldn't want them. It's a total freeroll for the players who would love to see deals on Sky, it's a no-brainer imo.
  • edited July 2013
    Massive +1 to what Smitalos said.
    Those who wouldn't deal, of which for the most part I am one , have nothing to lose by letting SKY offer the deal.
  • edited July 2013
    I'd imagine to biggest obstacle to bringing in a tournament deal option is that Sky would need to have somebody on standby 24 hours a day with the ability to pause tournaments and make sure the agreed payouts get paid into each players account. I don't think there'll be enough demand to justify the cost.
  • edited July 2013
    I'd imagine to biggest obstacle to bringing in a tournament deal option is that Sky would need to have somebody on standby 24 hours a day with the ability to pause tournaments and make sure the agreed payouts get paid into each players account. I don't think there'll be enough demand to justify the cost.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Maybe they should be only available in the main events or prizepools over £x amount. This would save on the man  power.

Im all for chops in tournaments when you get 3/4 handed stacks or mostly really shallow.
  • edited July 2013
    Could someone please explain how deals online work. Does one player propose a deal and all others have to accept, how does renegotiation work, is the clock and game paused whilst this all goes on, does it happen in given time windows??? Only play on Sky at the moment so interested in how these function. Thanks.
  • edited July 2013
    Could someone please explain how deals online work. Does one player propose a deal and all others have to accept, how does renegotiation work, is the clock and game paused whilst this all goes on, does it happen in given time windows??? Only play on Sky at the moment so interested in how these function. Thanks.
    Posted by bbMike
    There is a button you click to say you are willing to discuss a deal. Once everyone is clicked tournament is paused (inc clock) and an administrator comes in the chat and asks what deal you would like. Can be whatever you want so someone will normally say can we look at numbers based on even chop/chip chop etc. Numbers are proposed as a start point for negotiating. Sometimes money will be set aside for the win. You negotiate and once all agreed numbers are locked and either you play on for the set aside money for the win or you can walk away/go in blind every hand until tournament is over.

Hope that makes sense