You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The biggest donkey giveaways

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat
So, what would you put as the number one tell that the player sitting next to you has grey matter capacity on par with that of an aphid?

1) Shipping all in at a pot where the board plays the mortal nuts.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    In Response to The biggest donkey giveaways:
    So, what would you put as the number one tell that the player sitting next to you has grey matter capacity on par with that of an aphid? 1) Shipping all in at a pot where the board plays the mortal nuts.
    Posted by calcalfold
    They posted on the forum putting down the opponents that made their bread and butter!

• edited July 2013

The guy who never ever stops ranting on about other players being bad.
    Obviously that would be a really stupid thing to do.
    Maybe that guy.

• edited July 2013
    In Response to The biggest donkey giveaways:
    So, what would you put as the number one tell that the player sitting next to you has grey matter capacity on par with that of an aphid? 1) Not shipping all in at a pot where the board plays the mortal nuts.
    Posted by calcalfold
    fyp 
  • edited July 2013
    they only play one table
  • edited July 2013
    lol Calcs posts are entertaining if nothing else
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: The biggest donkey giveaways:
    In Response to The biggest donkey giveaways : They posted on the forum putting down the opponents that made their bread and butter!
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    If you intend mocking somebody, you really need to get the phrase right.

The correct phrase in this instance should be

"They post on the forum putting down the opponents who are their bread and butter!"

Whereas you said, something to the effect of "putting down players that bring them carbohydrate based savoury snacks". And I sure as hell would not dream of berating any man/woman that were to bring me foodstuffs.

Fancy getting something as simple as that wrong, I mean, you would like quite the fool!.......
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: The biggest donkey giveaways : If you intend mocking somebody, you really need to get the phrase right. The correct phrase in this instance should be "They post on the forum putting down the opponents who are their bread and butter!" Whereas you said, something to the effect of "putting down players that bring them carbohydrate based savoury snacks". And i sure as hell would not dream of berating any man/woman that were to bring me foodstuffs. Fancy getting something as simple as that wrong, I mean, you would like quite the fool!.......
    Posted by calcalfold
    Doughnuts would be my preference!
    but thanks for the tip!
    I'll try harder with my grammar and vocabulary, next time lol
  • edited July 2013
    The guy who never ever stops ranting on about other players being bad. Obviously that would be a really stupid thing to do. Maybe that guy.
    Posted by Jac35

If you are (incorrectly) referring to me, then you clearly have no idea whatsoever what "rant" means, allow me to clarify courtesy of our pals at Google.

Rant

v. rant·ed, rant·ing, rants
    v.intr.
    To speak or write in an angry or violent manner; rave.
    v.tr.
    To utter or express with violence or extravagance: a dictator who ranted his vitriol onto a captive audience.
    n.
    1. Violent or extravagant speech or writing.
    2. A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence: "The vast majority [of teenagers logged onto the Internet] did not encounter recipes for pipe bombs or deranged rants about white supremacy" (Daniel Okrent).
    3. Chiefly British Wild or uproarious merriment.

------

If you still believe my post is a rant, please clarify which aspects of it you deem to be violant/aggressive. Should you have said "derogatory" or perhaps even "insulting", then your point would have been credible, as such it is instead misguided.

Regards

Ccf
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: The biggest donkey giveaways : Doughnuts would be my preference! but thanks for the tip! I'll try harder with my grammar and vocabulary, next time lol
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH

No worries, just so long as we are clear on this.

Peace
  • edited July 2013

The worst thing is you are over 18 and are wasting your time with this type of post. It is their money, call them what you want but they can do what they like with it.

I hope you realise how childish your posts come across.

Good luck at the felt, I am assuming you need it as you only ever seem to be getting it in good and losing.

Kalie

• edited July 2013
    In Response to The biggest donkey giveaways : fyp 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 sir. Excellent punish.

/thread
  • edited July 2013
    The worst thing is you are over 18 and are wasting your time with this type of post. It is their money, call them what you want but they can do what they like with it. I hope you realise how childish your posts come across. Good luck at the felt, I am assuming you need it as you only ever seem to be getting it in good and losing. Kalie
    Posted by Batkin88
    2nd grade punish, but great nonetheless.

inb4 thread turns into how much of a fish Calc is.
  • edited July 2013
    The worst thing is you are over 18 and are wasting your time with this type of post. It is their money, call them what you want but they can do what they like with it. I hope you realise how childish your posts come across. Good luck at the felt, I am assuming you need it as you only ever seem to be getting it in good and losing. Kalie
    Posted by Batkin88
    Oh lighten up, just intersted in hearing peoples thoughts Mr Grumpy. Although not yours, obviously.

And those who care do not matter, and those who matter do not care.
  • edited July 2013
    If it's an MTT then meh who cares...

If it's cash and the board is like KQJTx (no FD) and it's 100% obvious that you both hold an ace for the nuts and yet they still make some massive overbet shove into a tiny pot, then yeh that's pretty annoying. Just think of all them points you get for them forcing you to pay another £1 of rake tho ;) lol
  • edited July 2013
    Mrs Grumpy.

Also advising me to lighten up, please read your prior posts. Lets get the dictionary out and define words to try and come across as intellectual.

I hate losing as much as the next guy/girl and I have had my fair share of outbursts, but come on mate get a grip.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Lambert,

It was worse than that.

It was cash, the board was TJQKA (not sure what order & no flush possible). The pot was about 40p and the first to act goes all in on the river for about £3. The other player called, when thinking about it, they might have actually been better off folding, due to rake. Alas, the ship was just bizarre.

I mean yes it was 4nl, but it was totally bizarre. This post was purely set out to ask what moves other players consider the sighn of a poor player.

Of course I am not allowed to talk about "bad players" as it is against the human rights of the multicultural ethnically diverse lesbians. And I will, quite rightly, be banged up in some Cuban jail, perhaps after being hung drawn and quatered.

Its interesting, If I had said at the start of this thread just: "What do you consider traits of weak poker players" then I am sure a few people would have given examples, rather than everybody going off on one about how I am a disgrace to the species!

Its all about presentation with you lot. It sickens me!
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Lambert, It was worse than that. It was cash, the board was TJQKA (not sure what order & no flush possible). The pot was about 40p and the first to act goes all in on the river for about £3. The other player called, when thinking about it, they might have actually been better off folding, due to rake. Alas, the ship was just bizarre. I mean yes it was 4nl, but it was totally bizarre. This post was purely set out to ask what moves other players consider the sighn of a poor player. Of course I am not allowed to talk about "bad players" as it is against the human rights of the multicultural ethnically diverse lesbians. And I will, quite rightly, be banged up in some Cuban jail, perhaps after being hung drawn and quatered. Its interesting, If I had said at the start of this thread just: "What do you consider traits of weak poker players" then I am sure a few people would have given examples, rather than everybody going off on one about how I am a disgrace to the species!  Its all about presentation with you lot. It sickens me!
    Posted by calcalfold

The biggest donkeys would have been those who folded, thereby making the move +ev.

And it does happen, they do fold sometimes.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Lambert, It was worse than that. It was cash, the board was TJQKA (not sure what order & no flush possible). The pot was about 40p and the first to act goes all in on the river for about £3. The other player called, when thinking about it, they might have actually been better off folding, due to rake. Alas, the ship was just bizarre. I mean yes it was 4nl, but it was totally bizarre. This post was purely set out to ask what moves other players consider the sighn of a poor player. Of course I am not allowed to talk about "bad players" as it is against the human rights of the multicultural ethnically diverse lesbians. And I will, quite rightly, be banged up in some Cuban jail, perhaps after being hung drawn and quatered. Its interesting, If I had said at the start of this thread just: "What do you consider traits of weak poker players" then I am sure a few people would have given examples, rather than everybody going off on one about how I am a disgrace to the species!  Its all about presentation with you lot. It sickens me!
    Posted by calcalfold
    In the specific circumstance described.....

Doesn't this make the shove good then?

Good against plonkers who haven't got a clue, because they don't have to fold very often to make it profitable, and some people will fold.

Good against thinking players who'll realise that calling is -ev.

Bad against anyone inbetween. 
  • edited July 2013
    Aaaah here we go, a bit of debate, and some very good points raised.

Also rather interestingly, this is a very specific situation where it is (perhaps) profitable to be out of position on this river.

As Doh has stated, the first to act has the opportunity to consider if the second player can reason out a fold to save themselves rake money, or is forced to fold as they dont know its a split pot.

However, stab in the dark numbers, I would say the % of players at Sky, that would see a +ve fold based on rake might be 5% and the players so bad they dont know its a split pot, might also be in the 5% range

On the basis of my maths, and the guesstimate that only 10% will fold, leads me to deduce that on balance a check would still be best. As the anyone in between will be imo circa 90% of the player base at 4nl
  • edited July 2013
    If im playing live and the board has the nuts on it, then i always shove for a laugh haha, just to make sure other people around me are concentrating and notice that it will be a split pot ;)

But online, yeah it is annoying when people do that, i just call anyway, i'm not bothered about rake because of the points i'd get.

I remember one hand i had AQ on a AAQxx board, opponent bets like all of his stack apart from 2p left over, i just call thinking that the rake would be more if i had raised it (would have to be a min raise to like $3 or something), is that the right play? I still don't really 100% understand rake to be honest lol.
  • edited July 2013

This is for the example you stated where the pot is 40p (10xbb)

The bigger the pot, the better the shove is, as it needs to work less often to be profitable due to a) the rake being capped, so the difference between current rake being paid from the pot and max rake to be taken from the pot is lower, and b) the % of time it needs to get folds to be profitable is lower due to winning more bbs each time. 

Just shippit, freeroll the scoooooooooop. 

Great for morale/tilt reduction/momentum when it works too, kinda like when a -ev bluff gets through, and you feel gooooooooooood. 

As long as u don't +ve tilt :P