You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

861 - what IS it all about?

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat
I may be alone, but I really would like to know in advance when you are going to hijack the poker channel with geegees/golf/other pro sports betting stuff.

I HATE it.

Not only does it seem like chavvy gambling to me, but also extremely male-oriented (how many ladies do YOU know who enjoy getting into the nitty gritty of the last half hour?).  I am sure there is a huge market for this, but I really wish you hadn't hijacked the poker show for it.  You are sky, you set up a James Bond channel, capiche?

Your second biggest poker mtt of the week is going on right now and has barely had a mention.  NOT LOVE.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    In Response to 861 - what IS it all about?:
    I may be alone, but I really would like to know in advance when you are going to hijack the poker channel with geegees/golf/other pro sports betting stuff. I HATE it. Not only does it seem like chavvy gambling to me, but also extremely male-oriented (how many ladies do YOU know who enjoy getting into the nitty gritty of the last half hour?).  I am sure there is a huge market for this, but I really wish you hadn't hijacked the poker show for it.  You are sky, you set up a James Bond channel, capiche? Your second biggest poker mtt of the week is going on right now and has barely had a mention.  NOT LOVE.
    Posted by RogueCell
    Chavvy gambling? How can you comment on gambling when every mtt table you're on you're shoving 100bb every other hand
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to 861 - what IS it all about?:
    I may be alone, but I really would like to know in advance when you are going to hijack the poker channel with geegees/golf/other pro sports betting stuff. I HATE it. Not only does it seem like chavvy gambling to me, but also extremely male-oriented (how many ladies do YOU know who enjoy getting into the nitty gritty of the last half hour?).  I am sure there is a huge market for this, but I really wish you hadn't hijacked the poker show for it.  You are sky, you set up a James Bond channel, capiche? Your second biggest poker mtt of the week is going on right now and has barely had a mention.  NOT LOVE.
    Posted by RogueCell

I agree 1000%.  I really dont understand why they are doing this. If we wanted to watch racing tip wed watchnthe racing channel.  I tuned into sky POKER, funnily enough to watch poker!
  • edited July 2013

i agree. i'm watching ch3

• edited July 2013
    I agree too. Tried one of the first shows to feature this and now they're the only shows I don't tune in to. Please stick with the pokerer.

• edited July 2013
    i clicked 871 by mistake ! Ooops
  • edited July 2013
    i totally agree with the sentiment - and do not watch it myself.

BUT

if the only way we get to keep an expensive TV show broadcasting live 3x week is to allow this cross-selling, then i guess it is a neccessary evil.
  • edited July 2013
    i totally agree, love sports betting etc but having it on the poker channel is not something i like. sky bet pushing for it no doubt.
  • edited July 2013
    I think someone said the other week, sky bet make infinitesemally more money than sky poker. Harsh reality of business is cross selling is always on the cards. Whether its right or wrong doesnt matter to the sky stable. Its the bottom line. 
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 861 - what IS it all about?:
    I think someone said the other week, sky bet make infinitesemally more money than sky poker. Harsh reality of business is cross selling is always on the cards. Whether its right or wrong doesnt matter to the sky stable. Its the bottom line. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    I see what your saying, but why dont they get a sky bet channel then? 861 is sky POKER
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 861 - what IS it all about? : I see what your saying, but why dont they get a sky bet channel then? 861 is sky POKER
    Posted by bigflop1
    They dont need a dedicated channel to promote the site week in week out. It would get very boring imo, probably why they focus on major sporting events and use sky poker as the platform. 
  • edited July 2013
    Where does the money come from to fund ch 861?

I think you're pretty short sighted if you don't realise it needs an edge to exist.

Keep on complaining about the 4 hours a month it gives to other ventures.

But don't complain on the forum if the Channel folds due to lack of finance!

How many other sites have a dedicated TV Channel? None!!!

Why? Cos it costs many spondulee's!!!

Orfords appearance money alone must be 2 shillings and sixpence a show!

• edited July 2013
    I can understand the financial reasons given but do these hours attract new bet viewers or just appeal to the poker players that bet and loose non betters like me?
  • edited July 2013

I understand the need to show these programmes, but as they are of no interest to me I delay tuning in to 861 until after they are over. I caught the last 10 minutes of the Open Golf one a couple of weeks ago and to be honest, the "pundits" they had on had either got bored by the end of the two hours or just didn't show much knowledge of some of the players they were talking about.

It's a shame coverage of the tournaments has to suffer, by the time we got to see the main event last night it was already well into shove/fold poker, perhaps on these occasions "top of the pots" can be dropped or shown as the 7pm-8pm slot so the coverage of the main event holds up?

• edited July 2013
    Yes FCHD nail on the head, big tourney on, play top of the pots earlier or a diff day. I think you just have to go with it when they do these things it may not be of everyones taste but it will attract more/different viewers and just may bring in some new poker players from sky bet. I learnt a lot from last nights show about horse racing so I found it interesting even though I don't tend to bet on the horses anymore.
  • edited July 2013
    I understand the need to show these programmes, but as they are of no interest to me I delay tuning in to 861 until after they are over. I caught the last 10 minutes of the Open Golf one a couple of weeks ago and to be honest, the "pundits" they had on had either got bored by the end of the two hours or just didn't show much knowledge of some of the players they were talking about. It's a shame coverage of the tournaments has to suffer, by the time we got to see the main event last night it was already well into shove/fold poker, perhaps on these occasions "top of the pots" can be dropped or shown as the 7pm-8pm slot so the coverage of the main event holds up?
    Posted by FCHD
    Used to like top of the pots,3 barrel bluffs gone wrong & such but  all-in pre with k 10 & k 6 std & getting there I can see that at my level.
    More tourney play or even m/c pls.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 861 - what IS it all about? : Used to like top of the pots,3 barrel bluffs gone wrong & such but  all-in pre with k 10 & k 6 std & getting there I can see that at my level. More tourney play or even m/c pls.
    Posted by belsibub
    Top of the pots is the nuts. Would hate to see it shelved/moved.

Perhaps sports betting can be given an hour slot in future? 
  • edited July 2013

HI Guys,

Like "the suits" Dave & I are from Yorkshire, and so it's not surprising they want to maximise their investments across the full spectrum of the gambling market, but when decisions are made purely on numbers and take no account of what their customer requirements are then, in some cases,like this one, they 'step onto a landmine' and then wonder what all the fuss is about.

To most recreational players, poker isn't gambling in the normal definition, it's having fun whilst pitting your wit and intellect against worthy adversaries and battling variance together. In my humble opinion if Sky Poker are looking to grow then they should invest in all things poker and promote themselves to the poker world, not alienate the community that's got them where they are today.

They shouldn't look to copy Pokerstars, but they could, and should learn from the things they do well and translate them into a winning formula with a British slant.  We've come a long way since it all started, it would be a great shame if Sky Poker cannot exist on a stand alone 100% poker basis, because with all the shared services Sky has the costs to run the channel are extremely low when measured against any other channel, and most of them only have news programmes live.

Feel better now

Nottingham here we come

Dave & Sue

• edited July 2013
    I can see the reasons behind it and its  only once or twice a month but maybe 1 hour instead of 2 would be sufficeint.

I tuned in especially last time for the Open golf preview (which was advertised pre-show) but was dissapointed to see that hardly any of the comments or questions posted on the forum regarding Open tips and Open stories/memories were not even read out after the presenters asked to post with these topics specificilly. It seems if you wright more than a quick sentence or question it doesn,t get read out these days

Paul

(it was a 2 hour show dedicated to the Open Golf and tips and yet the long running thread in punters corner which is also dedicated to Golf and tips each week never even got a mention)
    Wouldn,t this have been a good time to mention/promote it?

EDIT : I did compare the tips from the experts and Tikay (Chris wood???) with the tips on the thread in Punters corner and lets just say you,d have been better off reading the thread 
  • edited July 2013
    HI Guys,   Like "the suits" Dave & I are from Yorkshire, and so it's not surprising they want to maximise their investments across the full spectrum of the gambling market, but when decisions are made purely on numbers and take no account of what their customer requirements are then, in some cases,like this one, they 'step onto a landmine' and then wonder what all the fuss is about.    To most recreational players, poker isn't gambling in the normal definition, it's having fun whilst pitting your wit and intellect against worthy adversaries and battling variance together. In my humble opinion if Sky Poker are looking to grow then they should invest in all things poker and promote themselves to the poker world, not alienate the community that's got them where they are today.   They shouldn't look to copy Pokerstars, but they could, and should learn from the things they do well and translate them into a winning formula with a British slant.  We've come a long way since it all started, it would be a great shame if Sky Poker cannot exist on a stand alone 100% poker basis, because with all the shared services Sky has the costs to run the channel are extremely low when measured against any other channel, and most of them only have news programmes live. Feel better now Nottingham here we come Dave & Sue   
    Posted by kidgirlgy
    I understand where you are coming from, but you only have to look at the players on site at peak times to realise Channel 861 is a concession rather than a requirement.
    Maybe when numbers grow it could be stand alone, but as a business proposition at this moment of time I think we are very lucky to have 3 quality programmes a week with presenters and analysts second to none in the television world!
    I cannot understand why everyone is having a dig at four hours programming a month!

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: 861 - what IS it all about? : I understand where you are coming from, but you only have to look at the players on site at peak times to realise Channel 861 is a concession rather than a requirement. Maybe when numbers grow it could be stand alone, but as a business proposition at this moment of time I think we are very lucky to have 3 quality programmes a week with presenters and analysts second to none in the television world! I cannot understand why everyone is having a dig at four hours programming a month!
    Posted by cleansweep
    I agree . theres nothing else on TV like it.

I am presuming there will be a show on football before the season starts. Would be gr8 to see Trevor Harris back on Sky Poker esp for this edition. Would certainly tune in for that
  • edited July 2013
    where else can you watch live tv covering the poker touranaments and villains we play everyday
    sure we want it all
    but hey - let's not lose it for the sake of some occasional cross-selling
    it's why i chose sky for internet poker
    and a key reason i stay here