You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tonight's TV Show - Racing Previews AND the Sky Sports Bounty Hunter

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat

Good morning.

Tonight, another of our Sporting Preview Shows.

The show will be a normal jobbie, with Sean Boyce & myself, from 7pm - 8pm, & 10pm until Midnight.

From 8pm until 10pm, we will be joined by.....

Ed Quiqley, from the Racing Post.

Michael Shinners, from SkyBet.

Dave Ord, from Sporting Life.

Proper experts, them.

More follows.....

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Hi tikay have a great show 

looking forward to the goodwood racing preview as i am going 1 day next week 
  • edited July 2013

For tonight's Racing Preview section, we shall be covering.....

The King George V1 & Queen Elizabeth Stakes.

First prize nearly £600,000, &, arguably, the greatest mixed age race in Europe. The Derby is for 3 year olds only, & the Arc, in October, is often when horses have passed their best for the sseaon, & frequently run on bad ground.

In what I consider to be the golden age of British Horse Racing, it was won in succesive years by....

Busted. Sired so many wonderful horses.

Royal Palace. Ridden by none other than Sandy Barclay - anyone remember him? 

Park Top. Owned by the Duke of Devonshire. Piggott was the jockey.

Nijinsky. Incomparable. Another Piggott ride.

Mill Reef. This was his consolation for racing in a year when the crop was so good.

Brigadier Gerard. Owned & bred by John Hislop. The book by John is a must-read.

Dahlia (two years running). On the 2nd occaasion, Piggott was up top. Dahlia was owned by Nelson Bunker Hunt. Nelson was an extraordinary man, & a billionaire at one time. His brother, William, tried to corner the world market in silver bullion, to drive up the price, & he very nearly succeeded, beforer the Federal Reseve stepped in & scuppered his plans. He then went busto, & to prison for his trouble.  

Grundy.  I recall this race as if it were yesterday. For many years it was called "The Race of the Century", but in these hype-filled times, there have been 394 more "Races of the Century" since then. Grundy was by Great Nephew ( who also sired the Derby winner who later disappeared without trace, I seem to recall), by Word from Lundy. Grundy edged out Bustino, (ridden by the great Joe Mercer unless my memory is playing tricks), & was owned by Lady Beaverbrook. Lady B made a habit of giving all her racehorses 7 letter names. (Bustino, Boldboy, Niniski, Petoski, Relkino, etc). Her trainer was Major Hern, this was before his tragic accident which paralysed him for life.  He was also the Queens Trainer, until, unbelievably, he was sacked, & had to vacate his Stables & home. 

Whoops, I am waffling, more follows.....

• edited July 2013
    I can see richard hannon having alot of winners at goodwood and mark johnstons horses are red hot atm 2 trainers to follow 

• edited July 2013

We will also, in the racing poreview, be covering.....

SkyBet day at York this Saturday, which includes....

SkyBet York Stakes

SkyBet Dash

More follows.....
  • edited July 2013

AND the Galway Festival.

This is Ireland's longest horse race festival, & lasts for 7 days.

The main races are The Galway Plate (a NH Chase), held on Wednesday, & The Galway Hurdle, on Thursday.

More follows......

• edited July 2013

......and Glorious Goodwood!

Note that this festival is always prefaced by "Glorious".

Arguably, the prettiest setting in the world for a racecourse, it is owned by The Duke of Richmond, who is a very rich chap indeed, & a member of the Gordon-Lennox family.

The two biggest races are both Group One, The Sussex Stakes, & Nassau Stakes, but the biggest betting medium is The Stewards Cup, famous for huge fields, & they very often go 7/1 the field.

• edited July 2013

Not forgetting, of course, tonight's £12,000 Guaranteed Sky Sporty Bounty Hunter.

We shall try & give a prize or two, too, maybe a free bet or two with Sky Bet, or a Tourney entry.

So, some questions for you. Best answers MAY win a prize or two. 

You have all heard of The Grand National. As an analogy, what Tournament on Sky Poker most resembles The Grand National, & why?

Ditto The Derby....

Ditto the SkyBet Dash.....

What was the best horse race you ever saw?

What Sky Poker Tourney evokes your best ever memory?
  • edited July 2013
    The Grand National is most like an SPT side event.  There is total carnage and it seems to go on forever!  Also anyone can win one, cough Orford cough.

The Derby is like the Sky Roller.  Class field, Class structure and the winner always deserves it.

The SkyBet dash is like Turbo Tuesday main event.  You need a lot of luck in running and a good table draw always helps.

The best horse race I ever was the 1993 Derby, only because I had a few quid each way on Blues Traveller and is came in third, at 200/1.  Happy days :)

The Sky poker tourny with my best memorys has got to be the DTD on a Monday night.  Always great poker and, more importantly, great fun and banter on the tables.  It also feels amazing when you win it.

Finally, if you are going to the SPT 6max from tomorrow, if you see a tighty sit and go it is just like the cross country chase at Cheltenham, why?  It just has to be seen to be believed!

Run well all and see you at the weekend
  • edited July 2013

The Derby has to be the Monday DTD, you have to be seriously on form to win the top prizes as it is based on 3 tournaments!

The sky bet dash is like an open frenzy sat, no one cares how much it costs to get them in but they will do everything to get that seat as soon as possible!

The grand national is the crème de la crème, so it has to be the PRIMO! The roller is big but the primo is the classic as is the national. So many runners but they so many fall at each hurdle!

The best horse race I ever saw was the Kentucky derby at Butlins. Cost me all my 10p's for no return though :(

I have a few poker tournaments with great memories from them but one sticks to mind, I was saving for a deposit for my new house in January 2012 and was aiming to finalise around April, however I went and run like Bolt in the PRIMO and finished 2nd for just over £2k. (I did not play well in the later levels either I just ran well put it that way) I had my deposit by the end of January and finalised a month earlier! :)

I am loving poker at the moment and have improved so much over the last year. I am trying to get a female poker tournament on SKY, TIKAY work your magic :)

• edited July 2013
    I watch most live shows however i'll be switching over for the 2 hours you're covering the racing. I know you have to go with a majority but is the Racing Preview not better on another channel and dedicate the SKY POKER CHANNEL to POKER not racing?
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Tonight's TV Show - Racing Previews AND the Sky Sports Bounty Hunter:
    I watch most live shows however i'll be switching over for the 2 hours you're covering the racing. I know you have to go with a majority but is the Racing Preview not better on another channel and dedicate the SKY POKER CHANNEL to POKER not racing?
    Posted by greggo1410
    Its known in the trade as branching out, sky poker & sky bet etc..... coming together so more people who use 1 will start using the other, good tactics for any business
  • edited July 2013
    If it keeps poker on 861 for the majority of the time it's fine with me and I enjoy the tipsters banter.

Turbo Tuesday main = Epsom Dash . fast furious and over v v quick.

Looking forward to a good show as usual.

Tallyho.

• edited July 2013
    I cannot understand why Novellist is as high as 4/1
    His trainer has for many years been a magician with his horses and rarely comes to our shores
    The horse has cracking form behind Danedream who won the Arc De Triomphe
    he beat Dunaden who won the Melbourne Cup, and time and time again horses he's beaten have gone on to win good quality races! I just think he's overpriced!
    Given the weather Hot Streak would be an appropriate winner of the 4.05 at York mind he'd have to beat one of Tikays relatives! I believe the Grumpy Gnome could be stiff opposition.
    Have a great show team its refreshing to see the diversity into sporting events
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Tonight's TV Show - Racing Previews AND the Sky Sports Bounty Hunter:
    In Response to Re: Tonight's TV Show - Racing Previews AND the Sky Sports Bounty Hunter : Its known in the trade as branching out, sky poker & sky bet etc..... coming together so more people who use 1 will start using the other, good tactics for any business
    Posted by seppe
    I understand that but Sky Poker only shows 15 hours of live poker a week, when 2 of them hours are taken up with something else then the poker enthusiasts are missing out.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Tonight's TV Show - Racing Previews AND the Sky Sports Bounty Hunter : I understand that but Sky Poker only shows 15 hours of live poker a week, when 2 of them hours are taken up with something else then the poker enthusiasts are missing out.
    Posted by greggo1410
    jeez no pleasing some peeps lol, 15 hours is alot. 5 hours 3 nights a week & you moan, find another channel with more hours oh you cant & have you ever wondered why?

i give up
  • edited July 2013
    To anyone griping about less poker on the sky poker channel tonight can I just point out what has been passing for news on the sky news channel this last week .............. lol im looking forward to some cage fighting on sky arts and maybe even a documentary on undertakers on sky living
  • edited July 2013
    I would like to borrow Tikay's suit/tie combo for tomorrow's Sky Bet racing day!

Any chance, TK? ;)
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Tonight's TV Show - Racing Previews AND the Sky Sports Bounty Hunter : jeez no pleasing some peeps lol, 15 hours is alot. 5 hours 3 nights a week & you moan, find another channel with more hours oh you cant & have you ever wondered why? i give up
    Posted by seppe
    SKY POKER is for POKER not racing. Maybe they'll put the cricket on Sky Movies HD next
  • edited July 2013
    Posted by greggo1410
    I agree
  • edited July 2013
    I would like to borrow Tikay's suit/tie combo for tomorrow's Sky Bet racing day! Any chance, TK? ;)
    Posted by Sky_Sam
    Could I borrow it after you have finished with it please Sam.  It would look great on the guy that my kids will be making for bonfire night this year :)
  • edited July 2013
    playing in the main tonight loving the racing tips as im at york races on saturday! should be a great day hopefully in the sun
  • edited July 2013
    I agree, i know sky gotta branch out with other sports for sky bet etc, but that is what sky sports and racing channel are for!! 861 should be for poker!! Only live 3 nights of the week so want to see poker not racing..   If i wanted to watch racing id put 415 on. Maybe they will put kids cartoons on 901 aswell just so they can expand thier audience.
  • edited July 2013
    What is the longest price the boy Ed has ever tipped which has won and which one is he most proud of?
  • edited July 2013

if the racing preview show is going to be ongoing program will you be inviting any sky forum punters on one of these shows for there input as you started with poker shows ie scotty77 lolufold
  • edited July 2013

10:05 PM main mini both % main in mini  

entered 399 526 172 43  
    left 53 95 3    

GREGHOGG 10 35      
    lions86 22 94      
    bromley04 23 33      

• edited July 2013

Good show guys,

This new guy seems to fit in well tbf, hey tikay did you ever find out what that daft round thing is for they leave on beds in vegas lol
  • edited July 2013

sean, you are a very accomplished presenter and you are doing just fine on 861.  i recall attheraces.  great channel.  robert somebody was excellent there too.  could he do a spot one night on 861?  he would be fab.

• edited July 2013
    FWIW, I agree about the horse racing/sports betting thing too, but obviously that's just cos I'm not a big sports fan and never sports bet.... BUT I'm not really sure this is the place to discuss it mid-show.
  • edited July 2013
    hi again guys,

not seen the show in awhile, so never seen sean before.

Had to search as it was doing my head in, its just a bolster pillow. in american in the 19th century they thought it was unhealthy to sleep lying down so used it to prop themself up to sleep in a half sitting position(tikay loves these facts) lol.

Also while were talking facts does tikay know the name of the 1st theatre in england

Answer the theatre
  • edited July 2013
    After spending over £30 trying and failing to qualify for the Main Event tonight, i've learnt that I should just buy in direct in the future