You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker Cash Game - Loose cannon

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat
Hey!

Just some thoughts on the cash game.

On the show last night TK mentioned that people on Skysports wanted professionals/ big names for the cash games and personalities. It was also mentioned that a member of this site, might not be "appealing" to a TV audience.

I would just like to offer my opinion on this!

It can't cost much money to run this show, it's filming 5-6 guys round a poker table! I take it there might be an appearance fee paid to the players on the show.

It would be a cracking idea for Sky to stake someone 1k for the buyin for the Cash game. One of the best poker shows shown on TV was the loose cannon on channel 5 last year. If you never seen it, you had a group of Pros, Hellmouth, Negraneau, Scott Siever etc etc and they staked one member of the public 100k, at the end of the session the "loose cannon" could keep any profit in excess of the 100k, or come back again for the next session.

It was a fantastic show and people loved the fact a member of the public was able to take on some of the best players. A format like this would be a lot more appealing to the general public.

I think it's a misconception that an ordinary member of the site would not be appealing to viewers at home. The last show did have a big personality in Sam Razavi, but not so much this current series.

Skypoker could actually get together a really top notch programme, to put it up there with other top poker programmes on the tv, on a shoe string budget if they had a look at an idea as suggested above. It could have a similar format to the loose cannon.

I would say something like that would be far more appealing / interesting to a far wider audience than the current programmes.

Comments

• edited July 2013

Appreciative of the current Sky Management view, but agree with the posts on here that the idea should be re-reviewed.

With respect to Ryan Spittles and Sam Bayliss, both far superior players to the likely loose cannons that would end up in their seats, they are equally unknown to the casual Sky Sports 4 late-night channel hopper as if you were to throw in any player from this forum.

And on a similar note, the pair of them were barely shown talking throughout the shows I've seen so far, all the chat was Dempsey, Channing and Grafton, therefore they didn't really add to the aim of the programme that poker is a fun, entertaining game. The view that a qualifier would be quiet and boring seems to be one of the big reasons for why Sky don't want qualifiers appearing on seats, but in many ways surely a qualifier from a £2 satellite is MORE likely to open up and just have a good time if replacing a Sky pro/reg that is a bit more paranoid about making bad plays.

I reckon most people that were in with a chance to effectively freeroll if they qualified would be much more relaxed and not care about giving away tells, just enjoy the chance to play for big money and hope they bink a few lucky pots.

It'd seem like good marketing as well - advertise at the end of every show that you can join Sky Poker, get £10 free, play some satellites and potentially be on TV yourself in a couple of weeks time... that's a pretty sizeable USP that no other site can truly compete with.

• edited July 2013

Is that Larson speaking some sense for once? ;-)

Having a loose cannon gives you someone to relate to and root for.

I think it would be a great addition.