You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What are you doing here?

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I was not expecting this call, I 3 bet big to give the original raiser a shove or fold move. Knowing if he shoved ali could call (in my eyes unlikely) but I could then re-shove to isolate.

As you can see it didn't go to plan, what would your plan of action be now? C-bet? (how much?) or just shut up shop.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
x_sight Small blind  40.00 40.00 1701.00
Batkin88 Big blind  80.00 120.00 4314.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

kidgirlgy Raise  240.00 360.00 1580.00
darryl1976 Fold     
BridgeLad Fold     
AliButt Call  240.00 600.00 5130.00
x_sight Fold     
Batkin88 Raise  930.00 1530.00 3384.00
kidgirlgy Fold     
AliButt Call  770.00 2300.00 4360.00
Flop

• Q
  • J

Batkin88 ???? 

Comments

• edited July 2013
    i would just shove u got 2 overs plus a gut shot so not in bad shape if u get called 
  • edited July 2013
    watched a vid on decuescracked the other day and a hand came up pretty much identical to this, a c bet left him commited to calling and a check give op chance to take him off the hand so he just jammed the flop.

tricky spot i prob c bet get it in.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah when this happens I immediately think pocket pair or connecting cards, but QJ is smack in the range.

I like the idea of overshoving, especially bearing in mind if I c-bet it gives him ammunition to attempt to remove me from the hand.

So no one for shutting up shop then?
  • edited July 2013
    I don't like the shove cos we just make all worse hands snap fold and when we get called we're behind 100% of the time and probably with not very good equity.

Hate check/give up

Don't love bet/fold

Don't love bet/call

Horrible spot (but I'd have 3bet smaller regardless of reasons.

This deep I think I'd rather just check/give up cos we still have a very playable stack that we don't need to gift away
  • edited July 2013
    well if u check u have no f/e to check raise all in n get it thru no point betting 1200 as ya put yaself pot commited im 100 per cnt jamming on this flop 

u can still be ahead alot k 10 for instance if the guy has q 10 ya not much of a dog jam all in n be happy about it :)
  • edited July 2013
    aq/aj are very much in his range id shut up shop check, hope its checked behind & re evaluate the river
  • edited July 2013
    why would a q or aj  limp ?  
  • edited July 2013
    KT probably folds anyway (although that's not the a terrible result) and we're in pretty bad shape against QT. We only have like 32% equity against QT.

We still have 40+ BBs, I can't see why we'd wanna donk it off just hoping he folds and knowing if he doesn't we're crushed.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: What are you doing here?:
    why would a q or aj  limp ?  
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    He didn't, he flatted a raise.
  • edited July 2013
    oh yeah 1 to many shandys  still think shove on flop is best option 
  • edited July 2013
    Been in this spot loads recently since I've started playing more MTTs. 

Hate all options. 

Shove is probably the worst, it puts us very face up. 

Bet/fold 789 maybe? 

If not, check/fold. 

Hate shove, dislike bet/call. 

They're probably more likely to call hands like 77/88 to a shove than to a small bet. I would be anyway. 
  • edited July 2013
    definitely a headache of a hand and the timer goes down pretty quick... 

any sign of weakness if he's any sort of a player he's gonna jump all over you so a check is as good as giving it up, lets face it if you check and he bets you gotta shove then or fold...

a c bet is running down your stack but better to continue to be aggressive once you've started....

a shove, depends if you feel lucky cus luck will be your only weapon, if he's a hand your in big trouble

i'd go for a c bet because your making him decide if he's gonna risk his stack because he's effectively committing himself if he calls....

still not an easy one, you don't have enough time to think through all your options as much as you'd like... but i'd c bet
  • edited July 2013
    Theres really no need to make it 1010 total preflop, you can achieve the same initial goal with a raise to ~700 while maintaining a healthier stack to pot ratio with the bigger stack...

As played, don't shove, bet/fold ~ 750. Check/folding would be resonable too vs some opponents. Really going to be dependant on how I've been playing and how the villains been playing.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi B

IMO I think  2.5x his raise is fine pre. Their call suggests pocket pair which can win on its own merit so I'm thinking JJ+ poss AK . Certainly not KJ and the like. As it stands bet/fold slghtly above  half pot will achieve what you need to kno, I feel. Personally a shove is my least favourite option here as you would be praying for a fold.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: What are you doing here?:
    Hi B IMO I think  2.5x his raise is fine pre. Their call suggests pocket pair which can win on its own merit so I'm thinking JJ+ poss AK . Certainly not KJ and the like. As it stands bet/fold slghtly above  half pot will achieve what you need to kno, I feel. Personally a shove is my least favourite option here as you would be praying for a fold.
    Posted by profman15
    half potting the flop is wayyy too big if you want to b/f imo, agree with 3betting smaller though

@OP i'm leaning towards c/fing but i think b/fing small is ok too
  • edited July 2013
    I bet 1.1k (33%) of remaining stack, he flatted!

Turn comes a king, shove time?
  • edited July 2013
    "What are you doing here?"

Had nothing better to do. Sorry. I'll go now :-(

• edited July 2013
    Think we have to go with it when we bink the K on the turn.