You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

who should you take advice from?

first of all i have never given any advise to anyone about poker as i haven't got a clue, but i do read the hands in here alot and take in any info i seem fit for what im struggling with however now im not so sure.
someone who i thought was a good player and gives some good advise on hands has just really made me wonder if i should listen to what they say anymore.
The guy/girl has just told me that you can not raise from the big blind in a hand, well even i know that you can so if you get that basic stuff wrong, god help anyone who listens to the advice they give..
I know who i do listen to so its ok, think it just made me chuckle.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Definitely gotta be careful who you take advice from in the clinic cos if you start taking bad advice, you're just learning other people's mistakes.

That's why really people should explain WHY they do things and not just say 'bet the flop, raise the turn, shove river' (which I'm guilty of doing sometimes).

Don't usually name names but you can't go far wrong by listening to BorinLoner, NColley, Beaneh (if you can handle it lol). I'm sure there are others but they come to mind first.
  • edited July 2013
    Did they give you a reason to not raise from the big blind, or did they just not know the rules?

I personally don't feel comfortable giving cash advice unless it is clear cut, I tend to advising MTT which is my strength but even then it is difficult as you cant make someone aggressive who isn't happy putting there stake on the line near the bubble, as you cannot make someone tighten up who doesnt care about money. (Obv there are some exceptions)
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from?:
    Definitely gotta be careful who you take advice from in the clinic cos if you start taking bad advice, you're just learning other people's mistakes. That's why really people should explain WHY they do things and not just say 'bet the flop, raise the turn, shove river' (which I'm guilty of doing sometimes). Don't usually name names but you can't go far wrong by listening to BorinLoner, NColley, Beaneh (if you can handle it lol). I'm sure there are others but they come to mind first.
    Posted by Lambert180
    no worrys i been here a long time so i got a rough idea who to listen to. the info on the situation i gave was clear, weather i made the right decision or not was not was another question. But when you get an answer which states "XXXXXX cant raise on the big blind coz they are the big blind" got me thinking abit. Im pretty sure you have the option to raise even when you are in the BB.
  • edited July 2013
    Did they give you a reason to not raise from the big blind, or did they just not know the rules? I personally don't feel comfortable giving cash advice unless it is clear cut, I tend to advising MTT which is my strength but even then it is difficult as you cant make someone aggressive who isn't happy putting there stake on the line near the bubble, as you cannot make someone tighten up who doesnt care about money. (Obv there are some exceptions)
    Posted by Batkin88
    it wasnt me in the BB, i was on the button but i got a bit of history with the player who was on the BB. player BB had raised from the BB for the last 5 or 6 rounds. i had a hand im happy to play vs them but it was not a hand i wanted to get allin pre so i limped expecting them to raise as they had done for the last 6 rounds but they checked.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah I just saw the hand, with what you have just said then it is fine. I did say calling was not an option but the history wasn't on the op on other thread. If you are expecting the raise to shove back at them then it is fine and it ran out bad for you.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah I just saw the hand, with what you have just said then it is fine. I did say calling was not an option but the history wasn't on the op on other thread. If you are expecting the raise to shove back at them then it is fine and it ran out bad for you.
    Posted by Batkin88
    yeah it went bad but thats how i saw the hand as i was playing it, that hand was player dependent ( is that how you say it?? ) i get alot of stuff wrong when im playing, but when someone then makes a stament on the hand which dosnt make sence i get well confused.
  • edited July 2013
    Think I know what thread you are referring to, and I'm sure it's just a mis-understanding. 

Either he explained it badly, or you read it the wrong way. He didn't actually mean to say that. :D

Skope the guy and you'll see that his advice generally will be more than adequate to beat sky mtts. 

• edited July 2013
    Think I know what thread you are referring to, and I'm sure it's just a mis-understanding.  Either he explained it badly, or you read it the wrong way. He didn't actually mean to say that. :D Skope the guy and you'll see that his advice generally will be more than adequate to beat sky mtts. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i did put that i thought his advise was good and he was good player.
  • edited July 2013
    taken to the clinic to slate me, lol, i didnt say you couldnt raise from the bb, i misunderstood what u said as ive already said, i wasnt trying to insult you're play im just very direct as a person. post the hand in here if you dont value what i say, im obv an idiot as you so think.
  • edited July 2013
    Lol told you I'd miss names! Tbf, TheRock is definitely one of the people I'd include in the list of people to listen to when it comes to advice on MTT hands.
  • edited July 2013
    Lol told you I'd miss names! Tbf, TheRock is definitely one of the people I'd include in the list of people to listen to when it comes to advice on MTT hands.
    Posted by Lambert180
    cheers lambo, allways said u were a good guy ;-)
  • edited July 2013
    taken to the clinic to slate me, lol, i didnt say you couldnt raise from the bb, i misunderstood what u said as ive already said, i wasnt trying to insult you're play im just very direct as a person. post the hand in here if you dont value what i say, im obv an idiot as you so think.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    i aint got a problem with you, have never said your an idiot or stupid, i did  not put your name in the post and if you read it i said i thought you were a good player and had good advice.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from? : i aint got a problem with you, have never said your an idiot or stupid, i did  not put your name in the post and if you read it i said i thought you were a good player and had good advice.
    Posted by BURNShurtz
    ive wrote on the other thread going dizzy here back and forth to 2 threads. you said i said you're not allowed to raise from the bb, someone who says that would come into the idiot category. 

its all good anyway lets just leave it at that and have peace, lifes to short. :-) gl
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from? : ive wrote on the other thread going dizzy here back and forth to 2 threads. you said i said you're not allowed to raise from the bb, someone who says that would come into the idiot category.  its all good anyway lets just leave it at that and have peace, lifes to short. :-) gl
    Posted by THEROCK573
    sounds good.
  • edited July 2013
    Posted by Lambert180
    Whoa!!!! Me and Dohhhhh comment prior to The rock but you only wish to add the rock your list!

This is insulting :)
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from? : Whoa!!!! Me and Dohhhhh comment prior to The rock but you only wish to add the rock your list! This is insulting :)
    Posted by Batkin88
    Well I knew TheRock was the subject of the OP, I forgot to mention you but that's cos you're new back and well.... Dohhhhh sucks :)
  • edited July 2013
    if u want some advice on mtts  just leave me a pm and i get back to u 
  • edited July 2013
    Proven winning players, at the stake you play, with the same style of play as you would be optimal

Otherwise just proven winners in the same kind of stake.

Failing that just winning players.

Not so say a losing or breakeven player might not raise a good point now and then.
  • edited July 2013
    NEVER EVER listen to me.
  • edited July 2013
    NEVER EVER listen to me.
    Posted by DrSharp

lol
  • edited July 2013
    look at my advice and do the complete opposite, you should see improvements
  • edited July 2013
    Take on board everyone's advice, explore each avenue and work out for yourself what is correct.

No one is ever going to tell you how you should play while at the tables.

gl

• edited July 2013
    Take on board everyone's advice, explore each avenue and work out for yourself what is correct. No one is ever going to tell you how you should play while at the tables. gl
    Posted by rancid
    Whoa! miles out with that one.
    In pretty much every low stakes live cash game. There is always someone who wants to tell the whole table what they should have done in every hand.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from? : Whoa! miles out with that one. In pretty much everyone low stakes live cash game. There is always someone who wants to tell the whole table what they should have done in every hand.
    Posted by Jac35
    never played live before but am going to start playing regualry soon, does nobody shoot these guys down, i dont think i could put up with this in a live game.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from? : Whoa! miles out with that one. In pretty much everyone low stakes live cash game. There is always someone who wants to tell the whole table what they should have done in every hand.
    Posted by Jac35
    All the same, you have to work out for yourself what is bad or good. So then you know if someone is talking utter rubbish and more importanly why it's so bad.

Basically saying don't take anyone's word that something is bad or good, you need to full understand why it's bad otherwise your game has no good reasoning behind ir apart from Tikay said "don't limp" at the basic of levels.

But still you can have a conversation with someone at a lower skill level and still hear something that makes you re think your reasoning.

You get a lot people playing poker believing something but have no idea why they are actually doing it.
    This is soley the main reason why their game will never move on.

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from? : All the same, you have to work out for yourself what is bad or good. So then you know if someone is talking utter rubbish and more importanly why it's so bad. Basically saying don't take anyone's word that something is bad or good, you need to full understand why it's bad otherwise your game has no good reasoning behind ir apart from Tikay said "don't limp" at the basic of levels. But still you can have a conversation with someone at a lower skill level and still hear something that makes you re think your reasoning. You get a lot people playing poker believing something but have no idea why they are actually doing it. This is soley the main reason why their game will never move on.
    Posted by rancid
    Bit confused here to be honest.
    All I was saying was that there is always some irritating character who wants to dissect every hand when playing live.

Rarely is it someone good in my experience as the good plyers will normally just be sat there GIQ.

Sure if you know people and rate their games there's always something to learn talking about hands. Normally done after the game though.

Normally the irritating character has just lost the previous hand and is telling the table and no one in particular that the other guy played it so bad and got lucky
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from? : never played live before but am going to start playing regualry soon, does nobody shoot these guys down, i dont think i could put up with this in a live game.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Yeah, sometimes when they're getting out of hand.
    Generally, no, there's a couple of people who play in the same games as me who do this.
    We really don't want to say anything to them though as we really do enjoy having them in the game. #hourly :)
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: who should you take advice from? : Yeah, sometimes when they're getting out of hand. Generally, no, there's a couple of people who play in the same games as me who do this. We really don't want to say anything to them though as we really do enjoy having them in the game. #hourly :)
    Posted by Jac35
    got ya, haha