You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you play the river here?

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
pokersfoolSmall blind £0.05£0.05£10.41
xxxxBig blind £0.10£0.15£9.21
 Your hole cards

DeucesLiveRaise £0.30£0.45£12.71
pokersfoolFold    
xxxxCall £0.20£0.65£9.01
Flop

• A
  • J
  • K

xxxxBet £0.30£0.95£8.71
DeucesLiveCall £0.30£1.25£12.41
Turn

xxxxBet £0.60£1.85£8.11
DeucesLiveRaise £1.80£3.65£10.61
xxxxCall £1.20£4.85£6.91
River

xxxxBet £2.00£6.85£4.91
DeucesLive????
Haven't got any concrete reads, but player hasn't been getting out of line, seems fairly tight, and also laid down hands after being played back at. Pretty sure he's not a call any pair donk. The flop hits his range but not that hard- so I'm pretty sure I'm representing a bigger hand than he has, but raising creates more problems than it's worth here IMO- calling almost makes my hand appear stronger. I'm obviously looking for something on the turn.

The ten is a beautiful card, since AQ/QQ/KQ/QJ are very much in my range in his eyes. Of course, my fear here is mainly him having KQ or QJ. He leads after a short dwell, and it doesn't feel strong. So I repped the straight, and after a long dwell, he calls. 

Now on the river, he dwells up again before leading fairly weakly. Does this look like a weak pair trying to block the bluff, a straight trying to get value, or a missed flush draw? Calling is pretty much impossible, I'm only beating a stone cold bluff which I just can't see, unless he's bet all the way with 89 clubs or something, which is possible I guess. If I raise here, he's folding everything bar a queen. If you do raise, do you go all the way or make a smaller raise?

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Has cost me 100's of £'s to finally realise that this line is almost always the straight!
  • ybyb
    edited July 2013
    just fold the flop, if you want to float i'd usually try to have at least some equity!
  • ybyb
    edited July 2013
    also if you think he's thinking deeply enough about the hand to be considering your ranges, a donk bet on a board that should hit your range hard should be reasonably strong
  • edited July 2013
    ermmmm just fold flop lol
  • edited July 2013

Jam or fold I think he would re-raise a queen on the turn to get value from both flush draws and sets so Jam or fold.

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: How do you play the river here?:
    Has cost me 100's of £'s to finally realise that this line is almost always the straight!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol.

+1.
  • edited July 2013
    I know it's not an optimal play to get involved with no equity, and believe me I wouldn't normally, but I was experimenting with player reading during this session rather than focusing on my hands. I didn't go quite as far as blocking my own hand, but I was close. Was a pretty solid session, too.

As I was playing the hand I had the same thought in the back of my mind too as everyone else, which was why I posted it- after I finished the hand I wasn't sure if it was the right play or not (regardless of the rest of the hand, just the river). The way he played it just didn't feel like a queen at all, if it's a donk and they do the old 'dwell up call', it's just their way of trying to deceive. But my notes said this guy was at least half decent and capable of folding a scary board, and it looked like he had a legitimate decision.

Either way, it's definitely not a play I'll be using often, but in the end I raised to around a fiver and he folded. 
  • edited July 2013
    raise flop

raire turn is so lol rep nuts

raise river to about £10

what else you going to do with 5 high

fold flop !