You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU what are you doing on the river?

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Player is quite aggro, a decent player, and has been making moves. How would you play this hand?
LARSON7 Small blind  800.00 800.00 30339.00
hellraser2 Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 57261.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

LARSON7 Raise  2400.00 4800.00 27939.00
hellraser2 Call  1600.00 6400.00 55661.00
Flop

• J

hellraser2 Bet  3200.00 9600.00 52461.00
LARSON7 Call  3200.00 12800.00 24739.00
Turn

hellraser2 Bet  3200.00 16000.00 49261.00
LARSON7 Call  3200.00 19200.00 21539.00
River

hellraser2 Bet  9600.00 28800.00 39661.00
LARSON7 ?  

Comments

• edited July 2013
    i'm not someone who should be giving advice, but i'll give it a go from my very green perspective.

the flop and turn bets dont seem particularly strong do they? the river is surely a blank [the turn probably doesnt afffect his hand strength relative to ours either] and he's bet small again. my guess you have to call sometimes in these spot or you'll be run over hu and having called the turn we have to call that river, but id probably bottle it and fold anyway, innit

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited July 2013

I think it's a call.

He donk bets on the flop, comedy bet on the turn, river is a brick. Plus he's made moves the previous 2 hands.

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: HU what are you doing on the river?:
    once u get called on the flop i would give up here gotta think what the guys calling range preflop is    this flop hits a calling range when u bet n get called id c/f the turn here when u get called on the flop  what are u trying to rep on the turn   the turn is a brick so what ever calls u on the flop is going to call u on the turn id fold the flop but woulda c/f on the turn 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

he didnt call the flop, he donk led.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited July 2013
    why are u calling on the flop bad flop to float on imo just fold 
  • edited July 2013
    fold every street
  • edited July 2013

Reads.

Folding would be terrible on the flop.

Folding the turn would be terrible with his joke bet and nothing has changed.

The river is still a call when i've called 2 streets, if you he has it, gl gg.

On the river what is he value betting, if he had show down value he is checking. It looks like a bluff throughout.

Just playing a lot of HU, you pick up on these things.

The story doesn't make sense, i made quite an easy call in the end. If he ships, still difficult but i have to call it.

• edited July 2013
    You aint given reads.

This flop smashes a peeling range pre and he donks 1/2 pot which is perfectly reasonable.

Yeah he goes smaller on the turn which could be weakness but it could be weakness in the sense he has say Tx and doesn't wanna check but also doesn't wanna pile the chips in. He could also have 7x and just not want you to fold.

River bet is much bigger than the turn (relative to the pot) and could easily be a value bet... not to mention the times he barrels the river with say A5dd, A6dd etc cos he's missed the FD and yet he still has you beat.
  • edited July 2013
    You aint given reads. This flop smashes a peeling range pre and he donks 1/2 pot which is perfectly reasonable. Yeah he goes smaller on the turn which could be weakness but it could be weakness in the sense he has say Tx and doesn't wanna check but also doesn't wanna pile the chips in. He could also have 7x and just not want you to fold. River bet is much bigger than the turn (relative to the pot) and could easily be a value bet... not to mention the times he barrels the river with say A5dd, A6dd etc cos he's missed the FD and yet he still has you beat.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Board has paired mate. Kicker isn't much of an issue.

Id be folding flop however.
  • edited July 2013
    lol
    why even post this hand in the clinic if your adamant about your decisions in this hand...

• edited July 2013

Paul, he's been making a lot of moves prior.

It's quite a standard hand HU.

Players tendencies are quite easy to spot, and i've been playing against the same guy for atleast 2 hours. 's quite a decent player, and has been extremely aggro, especially since we got to HU.

It's pretty sweet playing against an overly aggro player just as much as it is playing against a passive player.

This hand in particular, i take the donk bet as really weak just an attempt to steal. When he bets small on the turn, i think he's got nothing. He doesnt have an ace or pp, he's definatly 3 betting these.

J/10 he's check raising the flop not donk betting. With a 7 he's raising to ship the turn.

Rivers a brick. He had 3/8 os. His mistake was on the turn, if he puts in a decnt bet chances are his bluff i getting through, it's a lot more believable.

• edited July 2013
    I think you've missed the point of the clinic, tbh. If you're convinced you played the hand right already, and you're happy with it, why are you asking for opinions? To tell them why they're wrong? People aren't posting here on threads to get help, they're GIVING help. Take their opinions on board and go from there.

FWIW, I hate your limp/call strategy here, regardless of whether it paid off this time or not. You're way better if he's a loose aggro player who's almost always missed to just take it down on the flop, or the turn when it bricks. Calling each street with A high, no draw whatsoever is just asking for him to hit something. Whether he's overly aggro or not is utterly irrelevant. If he'd been playing with 84os instead of 83os you just did half your stack by letting him hit.

If you're floating the flop you have to do it with a plan in mind, not blindly call and pray your A high is best by the end. But I guess you're not here to get advice from anyone, just to brag about your player reading. 
  • edited July 2013
    Rly horrible flop, his 'donk' range here is gonna have us crushed.

I give up straight away on this board, no matter what my reads are tbh :/ It's too easy for him to have a made hand/lots of equity.

We got 15xbb going in to the flop, we can't really afford any mistakes at this point.

Also if he showed up w/ 83o you'll probably be best to adjust ur notes on him being a decent player!
  • edited July 2013
    I think you've missed the point of the clinic, tbh. If you're convinced you played the hand right already, and you're happy with it, why are you asking for opinions? To tell them why they're wrong? People aren't posting here on threads to get help, they're GIVING help. Take their opinions on board and go from there. FWIW, I hate your limp/call strategy here, regardless of whether it paid off this time or not. You're way better if he's a loose aggro player who's almost always missed to just take it down on the flop, or the turn when it bricks. Calling each street with A high, no draw whatsoever is just asking for him to hit something. Whether he's overly aggro or not is utterly irrelevant. If he'd been playing with 84os instead of 83os you just did half your stack by letting him hit. If you're floating the flop you have to do it with a plan in mind, not blindly call and pray your A high is best by the end. But I guess you're not here to get advice from anyone, just to brag about your player reading. 
    Posted by DeucesLive

Hi Deuces,

Imo, the clinic is also to discuss as well as get feedback on hands.

There's not many HU hands ever posted, I was just wondering what peoples views were on the hand, and I've gotten that including your own.

This is how I play this type of hand against this type of player in HU turbo games, let them bluff away their chips. Not saying it's right, was just asking for opinions.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2013
    fold every street
    Posted by Lambert180
  • edited July 2013
    No Pair. No draw. Bad kicker. Next hand please.

• edited July 2013
    if u call turn then call river for the same reason

but with your stack lols fold turn at least :)
  • edited July 2013

I had a feeling lol

Next hand