You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Does he always have Ace here?!

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
mrdavies Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £93.41
sighcall Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £45.08
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

60nine60 Fold     
mrdavies Raise  £1.75 £2.50 £91.66
sighcall Call  £1.50 £4.00 £43.58
Flop

mrdavies Bet  £3.00 £7.00 £88.66
sighcall Call  £3.00 £10.00 £40.58
Turn

• Q

mrdavies Check     
sighcall Check     
River

mrdavies Bet  £7.50 £17.50 £81.16
sighcall All-in  £40.58 £58.08 £0.00
mrdavies Fold     
sighcall Muck     
sighcall Win  £23.75  £23.75
sighcall Return  £33.08 £1.25 £56.83
I t was the slighly longer than normal dwell up at the end the river that finally made me fold!

Comments

• edited July 2013
    BTW - Ace of spades obvioulsy
  • edited July 2013
    Yes!

If he hasn't got A-spade I'll be astounded
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Does he always have Ace here?!:
    Yes! If he hasn't got A-spade I'll be astounded
    Posted by Lambert180
    I wouldn't be.
  • edited July 2013
    Doubt he's bluffing, the Q is out there, we have the K, and I doubt he overbet jams a J-high flush for value... think most people just sigh flat as Ks and As are the most likely value hands on the river

We're unlikely to be value betting stuff like AQ or even sets on a 4flush board cos we won't get called by worse very often and even then we do it to bet/fold so villian shoving would be pointless, so I think Js is a call but not loving life, he won't be value shoving wider and doubt he makes a massive bluff in such a tiny pot.
  • edited July 2013
    some 1 give me evens i have £100 with ya he has ace spades :)  
  • edited July 2013
    I'm just not sure if he's read my bet in river as a blocker bet with weak flush like 10 or jack, so he has represented the K or A?!
    Thinking maybe check, call in future because before that bet I don't feel pots big enough for a shove 
  • edited July 2013
    How could your bet ever be seen as a blocker bet, you've bet three quarter pot?? What classes as not a blocker bet, full pot?!

You've made a pretty standard value bet and he has shipped in a spot where imo it will always be for value and there are 0 value hands worse than yours that would shove imo.
  • edited July 2013
    Think il be checking next time!
  • edited July 2013
    If you do check next time what do you do....

1) If he bets full pot or shoves, fold??

2) If he bets small? Do you just call?

3) If he checks back and you feel rather foolish when he shows Ts or Js?
  • edited July 2013
    1)  fold
    2) call
    3) wouldn't feel foolish whatsoever, shrug shoulders and say ahh wel I could of bet and faced difficult shove
  • edited July 2013
    1)  fold 2) call 3) wouldn't feel foolish whatsoever, shrug shoulders and say ahh wel I could of bet and faced difficult shove
    Posted by mrdavies
    That's my point though....

Option 1 - This begs questions about what are we doing in the hand at all in terms of a plan. I imagine we check the turn with the intention of calling a reasonable bet because we know our K-high flush will be good a decent amount of the time and we probably have non-spade A and K outs. Are you actually checking the turn to just check/fold? EDIT: Though I do prefer barrelling the turn.

Option 2 - is fair enough

Option 3 - these hands call a bet, but they don't shove themselves cos they can never get called by worse. So we can bet/fold knowing we're getting value from worse but when we face a shove it's always a better hand.
  • edited July 2013
    Reasons for:
    4x pre
    not betting turn

Reads on villain? 
    be good if you had any idea how he plays his draws in position
    even better if you've seen him showdown after overbet shipping previously
  • edited July 2013
    Yes, and embarrassingly unsubtle.
  • edited July 2013
    100% yes.

BUT... Why would you ever check the secound nuts in a heads up pot against someone who has just called down. Chances are hes just calling your river bet with some sort of 9x spade hand/PP (with spade) hand and you win the pot. When he jams or raises you can safely fold knowing your behind. 
  • edited July 2013
    Yes, and embarrassingly unsubtle.
    Posted by calcalfold
    who is??
  • edited July 2013
    bet turn

b/f obviously unless you think vill is bluffing-_-
  • edited July 2013
    If villain is thinking on a good level, and more importantly knows that you are thinking on a good level, he can ship the river with anything as you can only call with one very certain card in your hand. If you don't have it, you can't call, but he doesn't have to have anything as such to make this move. 

I'm not saying I'd always level myself into calling but I think it's something to think about. It's a great spot to value shove with the nuts. Likewise, it's a great spot to bluff a good thinking player off the 2nd nuts.

This wouldn't work at 4nl ;)
  • edited July 2013
    If villain is thinking on a good level, and more importantly knows that you are thinking on a good level, he can ship the river with anything as you can only call with one very certain card in your hand. If you don't have it, you can't call, but he doesn't have to have anything as such to make this move.  I'm not saying I'd always level myself into calling but I think it's something to think about. It's a great spot to value shove with the nuts. Likewise, it's a great spot to bluff a good thinking player off the 2nd nuts. This wouldn't work at 4nl ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    probably the best repsonse!! good pooints made.

Turns out he had the Ace as I was on a table with him since and he had seen this post!

(well atleast I assume he werent lying to me lol)
  • edited August 2013
    I do think you should be betting the turn as others have stated but as played yes bet fold the river is the best option. Unless you have extensive notes but even then sometimes you just have to shrug it off and say if he has it I am not paying it off! If he doesn't then good bluff I will go find a different spot.
  • edited August 2013
    The irony here is that villain is shoving for value with his nut flush and yet we aren't calling with anything worse.

@ hhyftrftdr: Sure, villain can shove knowing that unless we have the As we can't call. And if villain was a standard abc (nit) then it will no doubt work and be profitable in a vacuum. However, poker isn't played in a vacuum and if we are good, we'll soon pick up reads on players. Meaning that as a villain we can't just always make this play with ATC as Hero will pick up on that and be bet/calling with his Ks. Someone really good might even then decide to bet/call with Ts because villain is only ever shoving with the As or a bluff and he will have more bluffs in his range then the As.