You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Blocked Sharkscope Stats

Comments

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Blocked Sharkscope Stats:
    In Response to Re: Blocked Sharkscope Stats : Ps what is TOTP?
    Posted by calcalfold
    I wouldn't worry about it. :)
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Blocked Sharkscope Stats : Just looking for clarification that you haven't heard of TommyD or Mattbates. I know they don't drop in at 4nl very often/ever but to have not heard of them? Surprising.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Ok, coolio
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Blocked Sharkscope Stats : I wouldn't worry about it. :)
    Posted by Jac35
    this post gets my vote!
  • edited July 2013
    Sigh, forgot to reply to you. FWIW, this thread was/is not intended to be 'lets bash CCF cos he blocks his stats', I just didn't know whether people generally see it as a bad player hiding bad results or a good player hiding how good they are.

====================================================================

But to answer your reply (from that other thread)....

1) Please tell me how we can determine if they understand HU concepts from a SS graph. What does winning/losing streak tell you? That they're playing a game that involves some form of variance...

Not to mention that probably 99% of players aren't members so can only filter between MTTs or SnGs so would have no idea as to whether your sick SnG ROI was earned at DYMs or HU SnGs or a combination of the two. They'd also have no idea as to your game preference or any of the other things mentioned, but fair enough that still leaves probably 1% of people that could find out bits and bobs like that.

2) How on earth can we make any kinda of assumption about their ability to perform poker related maths?

3) Think of it this way.... if you're a good player with a great sharkscope, a good player will scope you and avoid you because their edge will be minimal if they have any at all (that's good for us).... However if you block your stats that same good player probably goes 'ahh another fish with a terrible SS that he's blocked, I'll play him'. So in actual fact you're doing the reverse of what you suggest by avoiding good players.
  • edited July 2013
    i would maybe lean towards bad player but honestly it could be any of them. i haven't sharkscoped anyone i've played against and have only recently started to sharkscope myself on sky. i started playing the game to have a bit of fun and never paid much attention to money that i lost. sharkscope has maybybe made some players realise what they have lost and maybe this is why they have blocked stats, personally i mainly concentrate on trying  to improve my own game not how good or bad my opponents game is
  • edited July 2013
    1)

Long term winning HU players will have a better idea of HU concepts than long term losing players. Not really sure how you can debate that lol. Please clarify what exactly in the above statement you disagree with.

Granted if the sample size is 5 games we can disregard it, but on a sample size over 300 say, its pretty solid basis for interpretation of ability.

Im not a member, but in my 5 daily searches can see a fairly long list of the recent games they have played, which includes number of players.

2)

As above.

3)

Point understood, but firmly disagree.
  • edited July 2013
    I've blocked my Ss - not for me to decide if i am a good or bad player - I'LL LEAVE THAT TO YOU !!!!!

STANDS BACK ---- AND WAITS FOR IT!!!

• edited July 2013
    Well agreed yes, longterm winning HU players are probably good at HU lol. My point being if you're not a HU SnG grinder that will be pertty useless information and if you are a HU SnG grinder on Sky, then you will/should already know who else is. It doesn't take too long to realise which guys are regging up and 2-3 tabling HU games for long periods of time compared to those who jump into 1 game you've already regged then you don't see them again for a week. Then obviously playing them you should very quickly be able to pick up if they understand HU concepts or not but really it all comes down to my 3rd point.

If we keep it open....

Player A is bad, so will play you regardless of your SS cos they probably don't even know what SS is, and even if they do, they almost certainly won't be SS'ing all their opponents
    Good we can still play bad players

Player B is good, sees our good SS and decides he probably his little to no edge and doesn't play us.
    Good we avoid good players.

If we hide them...

Player A is bad, and still plays us cos again he hasn't bothered looking at SS etc
    Good we can still play bad players

Player B is good, sees we've blocked our SS and most likely thinks (rightly or wrongly) 'this guy is probably a fish so I'll play him' which is bad for us, cos no matter how good we are, our edge won't be that big against another good reg in a HU SnG with 5% rake. Even if they do think blocked = good, and avoid you, they'd have definitely avoided you if they'd seen how good your stats were.
    Bad cos we might end up playing more good regs that we'd like to.

So for a really good player, it's probably -EV.... it's probably only good sometimes for bad players, hence why people assume blocked stat players are bad

Likewise, I know loads of DYM grinders that will skope opponents before regging for the DYM and if there are too many good winning players, they won't play (which is good for the already regged winning player). Game selection innit
  • edited July 2013
    Lambert crushing in my absence. Good to see.

If you're using SS to "game-select", then isn't that essentially the same as bumhunting?

Using sharkscope as any serious barometer for HOW someone plays, is a little silly imo.
    You should be reacting to the way people play constantly. Whether someone is a winner/loser tells you far less than just watching how they play for a few orbits. Not only that, but seeing that someone has their stats blocked entirely, can tell you far more than your average steady downswing (or upswing) graph. All just imo ofc.
  • edited July 2013
    Smitalos you could be a politician. Ducking out of questions you dont want to answer.

I was expecting at least a witty answer.

No, nothing.........

Huh, guess I am correct by default, which makes you incorrect, Alas I am sure your ego will not accept that.
  • edited July 2013
    Smitalos you could be a politician. Ducking out of questions you dont want to answer. I was expecting at least a witty answer. No, nothing......... Huh, guess I am correct by default, which makes you incorrect, Alas I am sure your ego will not accept that.
    Posted by calcalfold
    Woah, dude. Where did that come from?
    Man, consistantly reacting with emotion don't make anyone look good. At all.

Could you please point out the question(s) that' I've ducked out of answering? If there were any I missed in a seperate thread, I'm really sorry. There've been a fair few threads directed at me in the past week, in which I always try to reply in super-duper-uber detail. So any I've missed is at least understandable, no?

This thread should stay on topic. You have many threads already open in which to give me some sh it, use them.

And please, quit making every comeback personal. Winning an argument doesn't come from insulting the opposition.

EDIT [@19:59]: If... "Huh, guess I am correct by default, which makes you incorrect" is implying that...
    If you're taking a stance on a topic, (whether you're for or against a motion...) it should be assumed you're right until proven wrong? Because you have X number of points, you're right by default because the opposition has none?

Because that's obviously bull, bro :/
    It doesn't work that way IRL. You're wrong unless you can prove you're right. Not the other way around.
  • edited July 2013
    I would just like to comment on a Smitalos comment. "Those that think people SS you is a big deal and gives away a lot of information. When in fact, it doesn't. AT ALL"

So, would you rather play 100 heads up games against the player that has lost £15,000 playing heads up or won £15,000 heads up? say for arguments sake, same sample size and same buy ins.

Just to add, the information we have it choice to play a proven HU winner or a proven HU loser. I say thats pretty useful information. Dont you?
  • edited July 2013
    I would just like to comment on a Smitalos comment. "Those that think people SS you is a big deal and gives away a lot of information. When in fact, it doesn't. AT ALL" So, would you rather play 100 heads up games against the player that has lost £15,000 playing heads up or won £15,000 heads up? say for arguments sake, same sample size and same buy ins. Just to add, the information we have it choice to play a proven HU winner or a proven HU loser. I say thats pretty useful information. Dont you?
    Posted by calcalfold
    The flaw in the argument is this...

You've said that your SS is good but you don't want people knowing how good.

Yes we'd rather play the guy who is -£15k so we'd choose NOT to play the guy who is +£15k, so if your (and I mean your in general, not specifically yours) SS is good, then you would want it on show so that good players avoid you... cos chances are the bad players aren't gonna be the ones skoping you.
  • edited July 2013
    I would just like to comment on a Smitalos comment. "Those that think people SS you is a big deal and gives away a lot of information. When in fact, it doesn't. AT ALL" So, would you rather play 100 heads up games against the player that has lost £15,000 playing heads up or won £15,000 heads up? say for arguments sake, same sample size and same buy ins.
    Posted by calcalfold
    Straw-man.

My point had nothing to do with whether SS is accurate enough to draw reasonable conclusions from.

It was regarding the fact that the information you get from watching how they play, can be put to immediate profitable use. Whereas them being a winning player or not, tells you very little about HOW they actually play, what their bad tendancies are, or how to exploit them etc. That intel is cool to have, but serves you little use AT the tables.
    Long story short, the most important question is, WHY is someone good/bad, not whether they're a winner/loser.
    As said in my previous post, unless you're using SS to bumhunt, you'd generally speaking be much better off spending your time analysing their game, than analysing their SS graph.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks for answering the question Mr Clegg, oh wait you didn..........lol

Game set match ccf

On ignore, waste too much time on you, plus you dont even admit when you are wrong,

Boom
  • edited July 2013
    Lambert,

My Sharkscope isnt good, Im pretty sure its breakeven. I just dont want my stats on show.

However if I was good. I would still hide it, not to say you are wrong or I am wrong.

Appreciate all the points you have raised and appreciate the points I have asked you on and that you have answered (unlike Mr Clegg up there), but we can agree to disagree here. Is that ok fella?

No point this turning into War and Peace

ccf
  • edited July 2013
    How has this guy not been ostracized from the community yet?

Every time he starts a discussion, and people try to open up a dialogue and explain why he's wrong, he just bails on the entire argument.
    Not to mention he throws around more schoolground insults than I throw around 3bets,
    Has an insanely condescending belitting attitude, finding new ways to abuse people he disagrees with,
    And never seems to be in the right, on any topic whatsoever.

All bearing in mind, the guy can't even beat 2p/4p.

What the ffff...?

I've replied to the guy and constantly tried to discuss things in a cordial manner. And almost every time, and he reacts like this:
    Thanks for answering the question Mr Clegg, oh wait you didn..........lol Game set match ccf On ignore, waste too much time on you, plus you dont even admit when you are wrong, Boom
    Posted by calcalfold
    Unless his entire account is a level, I've never seen someone so outwardly proud of their ignorance. It's like he's 13yo and feels the need to prove himself by getting one over Vs anyone that challenges him.

I hate to say this, but he's a disgrace to the forum. He just treats everyone on here like $h1t.
  • edited July 2013
    Grinding at the moment so haven't had a chance to have a good read through this thread.  I have received a couple of messages though telling me I might need to close this thread.  Will be coming back to it later but for now I'll just say please can everyone treat everyone else in the way you would wish to be treated yourself.  With respect and intelligence please, thanks.
  • edited July 2013

perhaps, it has nothing to do with how good or how bad they are. I aint blocked mine
    and you cant get worse than me at playing poker :(

Ever thought that may be related to real life and who can gain access to them
    as in a spouse(partner), money laundering, devorce suits etc (excuse spelling)
    just my 2 pence worth

• edited July 2013
    Yeh that's definitely a possibility, I don't know the answer to why people block them, I've seen a few blocked SSs in my time but CCF is the only one I've ever spoken to and so I don't know why most people do it.

The vote is really only going to show what observers think the reason for them being blocked is, but not the real reason why people do it.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeh that's definitely a possibility, I don't know the answer to why people block them, I've seen a few blocked SSs in my time but CCF is the only one I've ever spoken to and so I don't know why most people do it. The vote is really only going to show what observers think the reason for them being blocked is, but not the real reason why people do it.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Quick go hide ur stats b4 Emma looks :p

• edited July 2013
    giraffe obession is doing it wrong, if your using SS more then twice in a week your doing it wrong. Especially for a site with such a small player pool. 

Also forums seem to be full of a lot of vomit lately....
  • edited August 2013
    Yeh that's definitely a possibility, I don't know the answer to why people block them, I've seen a few blocked SSs in my time but CCF is the only one I've ever spoken to and so I don't know why most people do it. The vote is really only going to show what observers think the reason for them being blocked is, but not the real reason why people do it.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Have you noticed that every thread you comment on, it kicks off paul ;).

Very good point re divorce mind, but if there was a lot of money on the line I think sharkscope would be obliged to reveal the figures to lawyers. Money Laundering isnt an issue as a lot of sites are required to verify you in the same way as the banks with id etc.
  • ommomm
    edited August 2013
    Can SS actually be trusted anyway, I won a b/h main event for £1800 including bounties and this doesn't show on my ss, who's to say it doesn't miss loads of other results?
  • edited August 2013
    Can SS actually be trusted anyway, I won a b/h main event for £1800 including bounties and this doesn't show on my ss, who's to say it doesn't miss loads of other results?
    Posted by omm
    Ditto.  Its not accurate, but can only be used to see if you are generally a winning/losing player.
  • edited August 2013
    cant be all bad players blocking there stats i mean lambert still has hes up for every 1 to look at :) 
  • edited August 2013
    cant be all bad players blocking there stats i mean lambert still has hes up for every 1 to look at :) 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    [ ] Good contribution to the thread/discussion
  • edited August 2013
    i already said on a previous post people who hide there stats are obv   terribad 

unless they playing on a high level cash game and dnt want the opponent to see there stats but u cant scope cash can ya 
  • edited August 2013
    I picked B for some reason, not really sure why TBH

But generally when I check and see blocked I mutter the word TO SS ER to myself
  • edited August 2013
    I agree with most people I think it`s a mixed bag people that think better than what they are and block stats so they can make themselves and others think they are doing better than what they actually are. Someonealso said stts players hide their stats which is understandable they don`t want players not wanting to play them because they crush that level.

me personally I just use it really for a nosey my graph kinda sucks I know that aswell.I mainly play cash so does not keep track what I really care about,would be awesome though if there was something sky could do to track your own profit/loss and hands played from since you started and you could keep private if you wished don`t know if that be allowed though.

IDCU your post made me giggle lol.