You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Different Bounty Hunter's

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
I often log onto the forum and see almost a daily debate over the amount of BH tournaments that are in the lobby. People claiming there arent enought freezeouts or turbo freezeouts.

Whilst I would like to see more freezeouts and turbos, I wanted an opinion on a different payout structure bounty hunter. Distributing the prize money in a different way.

The norm is for 50% of the prizepool be goes to the final payout, 50% going onto players heads.

How about 75% to the prizepool and 25% on heads?

Jonathan

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Different Bounty Hunter's:
    I often log onto the forum and see almost a daily debate over the amount of BH tournaments that are in the lobby. People claiming there arent enought freezeouts or turbo freezeouts. Whilst I would like to see more freezeouts and turbos, I wanted an opinion on a different payout structure bounty hunter. Distributing the prize money in a different way. The norm is for 50% of the prizepool be goes to the final payout, 50% going onto players heads. How about 75% to the prizepool and 25% on heads? Jonathan
    Posted by JBuss
    how about all of the money going on just the heads?? i think that could be alot of fun..
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Different Bounty Hunter's:
    In Response to Different Bounty Hunter's : how about all of the money going on just the heads?? i think that could be alot of fun..
    Posted by BURNShurtz
    That would just cause havoc. lol.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Different Bounty Hunter's : That would just cause havoc. lol.
    Posted by gazza127
    yes, BUT...i think it would be really good fun. only have low buyin say 3.30 or 5.50. make it a turbo aswell and it would just be pure carnage.

i think that is an ecellent idea.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Different Bounty Hunter's : yes, BUT...i think it would be really good fun. only have low buyin say 3.30 or 5.50. make it a turbo aswell and it would just be pure carnage. i think that is an ecellent idea.
    Posted by BURNShurtz
    lol. Carnage is the right word. £2.20 and im in lol.  Might as well be an all in sat with prizes for those who knock others out. lol.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Different Bounty Hunter's:
    I often log onto the forum and see almost a daily debate over the amount of BH tournaments that are in the lobby. People claiming there arent enought freezeouts or turbo freezeouts. Whilst I would like to see more freezeouts and turbos, I wanted an opinion on a different payout structure bounty hunter. Distributing the prize money in a different way. The norm is for 50% of the prizepool be goes to the final payout, 50% going onto players heads. How about 75% to the prizepool and 25% on heads? Jonathan
    Posted by JBuss
    Hi JBuss
    Personally I would rather play one where 100% of the prize pool is in head prizes :)

Your suggestion of 25% on heads isn't really much of an incentive to win the head prize - It's a Bounty Hunter after all said and done, so I would prefer more on the Bounty tbh otherwise it would have to be played like a normal freezout imo.

Lets say its a £2.00 BH where £1.00 is in the prize pool and £1.00 is on heads...........

at the moment, you keep 75% of the head prize (£0.75p) and the other 25% (£0.25p) goes on your head.......If you change this to 25% of entry fee in head prizes and you keep 75% 0.75% x 25 = £0.1875p - That's only 18.75p you have won for the head prize and 0.0625p would be added to your head, so it would hardly be worth trying to win the head.

In a £20 BH @ 25% Head Prizes (£5.00) if you keep 75% of the head prize, you would only win £3.75 instead of the current £7.50 and only £1.25 would be added to your head.

Bounty hunters are fast & furious because of the added head prizes so I think I would prefer more not less.

I do think there could be other variations of Bounty Hunters though, so well done for bringing it up, I just don't think this is a realistic one imo.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Different Bounty Hunter's : lol. Carnage is the right word. £2.20 and im in lol.  Might as well be an all in sat with prizes for those who knock others out. lol.
    Posted by gazza127
    they used to have a predator sit n go where the prizepool was only on the heads. i think 2.30 would get a few runners, i love the idea.

• edited August 2013
    I know the BH / freezeout debate has been raised a lot and this has gone full circle laods of times, but I have just recently got back into MTTs and I agree with Jonathon. Just something like a £5 f/o with a £150 GTD, or an £11 with a £200 GTD. They only need small numbers and with late reg they should easily fill up, then see how it goes after time, once people realise it's a perminent fixture it should end up doubling the guarentee.

At the moment the only holdem f/o is a £2 buy in I think, other than that they are Omaha or a deepstack that has no guarentee or late reg.

EDIT: Actually just realised what I'm saying isn't agreeing with JBuss, I miss read it because I'm tired. So like I said above, plz just add 1 or 2 F/O's what's the worst that can happen? You give your lovely poker players a bit of overlay? ;-)
  • edited August 2013
    Agreed
    like them or loath them
    sky bounty hunters provoke action
    when I play live and there is a fixed price bounty I think why bother? 
    Although it is true others salivate over them
    but for me if it is a bounty Hunter then let's make it worth having it
    the all bounty version sounds a laugh
    not mainstream but I guess there would be an audience
  • edited August 2013
    Agreed like them or loath them sky bounty hunters provoke action when I play live and there is a fixed price bounty I think why bother?  Although it is true others salivate over them but for me if it is a bounty Hunter then let's make it worth having it the all bounty version sounds a laugh not mainstream but I guess there would be an audience
    Posted by GELDY
    As long as sky balance it out with a few Freezeouts.  My favourite tournament is the £400 gtd midnight tournament and its a bit late...  Would be nice if that had at least one other like this earlier on in the schedule... like 9pm and maybe another one with a £5.50 buy in at half 9.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Different Bounty Hunter's : As long as sky balance it out with a few Freezeouts.  My favourite tournament is the £400 gtd midnight tournament and its a bit late...  Would be nice if that had at least one other like this earlier on in the schedule... like 9pm and maybe another one with a £5.50 buy in at half 9.
    Posted by gazza127
    I remember the £4.40 Freeze Out at 9.20pm - it used to be very popular a £400GTD would easily get the runners at this time.

Perhaps whilst we are thinking about different types of bounty hunters......Maybe if we did have one with all the prize on the head we could call them "Head Hunters" instead? - just a thought.
  • edited August 2013
    Ive had this thought a lot and I have another one for you:
    Rebuy BH's. Again, low buyin variations of this will generate large fields and a rebuy can generate a decent prize pool and more action! If you have a head and get busted, your head prize gets reset and off you go.
  • edited August 2013
    Ive had this thought a lot and I have another one for you: Rebuy BH's. Again, low buyin variations of this will generate large fields and a rebuy can generate a decent prize pool and more action! If you have a head and get busted, your head prize gets reset and off you go.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    im pretty sure they have had rebuy bounty hunters before.
  • edited August 2013
    Haven't read all the replies but I did get to Trev's.

You're right Trev that it would have to be played pretty much like a freezeout but tbh, the BHs as they are now should pretty much be played like a freezeout, the big money will always be up top, and if you are wanting bounties, the best bounties will always be found when you go deep anyway and they get bigger.

Most of the other sites I play on just have a flat head price so it will be a £3 + £1.50 (head) + 50p rake for example. So you get the full £1.50 when you knock someone out and that doesn't increase as you/they knock more out. I probably dislike this even more than the way Sky do it cos you're still getting a big chunk of the prizepool taken away which you have little chance of seeing again cos a % isn't adding to people's heads. And obviously as the game progresses the incentive to knock someone out just gets smaller and smaller.

Take a 500 runner MTT for example with a fixed head price of £1.50.... you're diong VERY good if you can take 20 heads in that 500 runner game which means there's (480 x £1.50) £720 you've contributed to but will never see again.

In summary, 100% on heads = really bad imo
                          50% on heads = works quite well
                          25% on heads = meh, might as well just make it a freezeout and keep the extra money in the prizepool
                         Flat head price = hate it.

Just realised I've rambled on about utter nonsense here for no reason but I've written it now and it feels too good to delete lol so meh I'll just click 'Add Post'.
  • edited August 2013
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The current bounty structure here is massively popular. Tinkering was be inadvisable in my opinion.

The main event fields have already been badly dented by the unwise decision to increase buy-ins, despite the introduction of the jackpot and late reg. It would be a disaster for tournaments field sizes on Sky if a similar ill advised change put people off bounty hunters too just to please a small group of players on the forum.

The 100% bounty on the head form has been tried before, it was good fun, but turned into one huge shove-fest. It was called the Snowball Fight iirc. As an occasional fun event I think it's a good idea, but it would be madness to bring it in across the board.
  • edited August 2013
    Im not saying its broke, however it would be nice to have a little more variety.

Like Flush says, a few more freezeouts or turbos

or

a few of the current BH tournaments altered to make them a play a little different. All prizes are on heads or the 75/25 split I have reccomended.

I am not suggesting changing all of the BH tournaments, just a few to offer more variety.

Jonathan
  • edited August 2013
    Sky's bounty format is awesome imo, for all the reasons covered by a few forum regs above already.

I think the 75/25 split between what goes on your bounty Vs what you keep, is a little skewed though.
    Not to mention the fact that the prizepool always end up insanely top heavy (which is great for me from an EV standpoint, don't get me wrong), making the final tables a total flipfest.

Overall though, the format on Sky for BH's is better than everywhere else by a country mile imo.