You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a bad fold? DYM

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Mid to late stages of a DYM, on the bubble.  Not much info on villain up to this point.  The call pre looks tight but I didn't wanna get involved in a large pot with the other big stack.

Obviously once I flopped the set I was looking to get some money in, but his bet on the turn made me think he could've hit the straight with the QJ or 67.  I guess I'm beating holdings like A9 but other than that there's not much I'm ahead of.  

The prescence of the other two shorter stacks and the fact that he held the only stack that could damage me were the main reasons for the fold, as well as having plenty behind after folding.  Would welcome any thoughts. Cheers.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
doddoSmall blind 50.0050.001855.00
turner27Big blind 100.00150.001810.00
 Your hole cards

SKYWALKERSCall 100.00250.003685.00
Andyl1986Call 100.00350.004300.00
doddoFold    
turner27Check    
Flop

• A

turner27Check    
SKYWALKERSBet 175.00525.003510.00
Andyl1986Raise 525.001050.003775.00
turner27Fold    
SKYWALKERSCall 350.001400.003160.00
Turn

SKYWALKERSBet 1050.002450.002110.00
Andyl1986Fold    
SKYWALKERSMuck    
SKYWALKERSWin 1400.00 3510.00
SKYWALKERSReturn 1050.000.004560.00

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Looking at the stack sizes I prob fold pre.......I struggle to beat dyms though but I don't see any point in getting involved here (and if you want to at least raise). The other big stack has limped, let them go to war.

As played.......tough spot, so easily QJ...sigh fold for me.
  • edited August 2013
    Considering your stack size yeah it is a fine fold as you still crush the other 2 stacks, however after your raise on the flop unless this player is a maniac I wouldn't put him on a straight more like AT, A9, AJ type hands.
  • edited August 2013
    RR the flop all in is the answer that sticks out to me.
  • edited August 2013
    All looks abit weird to me. 

If you're not wanting to play a big pot with the other big stack, why are we set mining?

The idea of set mining is to hit a set and then get it in. 

Set mine to then pot control? I dnt rly understand. 

If u dnt wanna play a big pot, dont play any kinda pot with this type of hand? (fold pre).

I'm not preeching here btw, just asking. I dunno what the answers are in this format.

------------

fwiw I wud have folded pre flop. 
  • edited August 2013
    Agree with what Doh said. If you're not set-mining to stack off, then don't set mine at all (short of some horrendous board obv). I fold pre too, no need to even try set mining really. We're CL with 2 x <20xBB stacks and one of them is guaranteed to be playing a pot this hand cos 2nd in chips has limped, leave them to it.
  • edited August 2013
    As played and readless re the villian we have to assume he knows his way round this format. Hes called a flop reraise that represnts a sixth of his stack and then put in a third of his stack on a non blank turn all against the one stack that can bubble him. Fold and move on. 

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited August 2013
    Pre: Raise or fold. Your on the button 4 handed, 88s are a very strong hand. If your not comfortable with the hand then fold. Limping means your showing no strength and vulnerable to getting bluffed off your hand very easily. If you hit a set you have no money in the pot to be worth it.

Flop: Played perfect.

Turn: Must be the only one to think you cant fold here. You have a monster hand and there is only one hand beating you. You have to remember youve limped so the 2 pr combos are far greater and pair flush/str draws are possible too. And if you are beat you are never drawing dead. I ship allin. Also, if he had hit his straight surely hes checking to you as the aggressor.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Is this a bad fold? DYM:
    Pre: Raise or fold. Your on the button 4 handed, 88s are a very strong hand. If your not comfortable with the hand then fold. Limping means your showing no strength and vulnerable to getting bluffed off your hand very easily. If you hit a set you have no money in the pot to be worth it. Flop: Played perfect. Turn: Must be the only one to think you cant fold here. You have a monster hand and there is only one hand beating you. You have to remember youve limped so the 2 pr combos are far greater and pair flush/str draws are possible too. And if you are beat you are never drawing dead. I ship allin. Also, if he had hit his straight surely hes checking to you as the aggressor.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    it's format specific. when two big stacks clash in a dym the small stacks gain a ton of equity at the big stacks expense. you have to assume your opponent knows this unless he's given you good reason to think otherwise. we've shown strength and hes willing to commit on a turn that connects with the board. if he's bluffing, god bless us innit. we dont need to make guesses at this point. to get stacked off without the nuts here is bad.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Is this a bad fold? DYM:
    In Response to Re: Is this a bad fold? DYM : it's format specific. when two big stacks clash in a dym the small stacks gain a ton of equity at the big stacks expense. you have to assume your opponent knows this unless he's given you good reason to think otherwise. we've shown strength and hes willing to commit on a turn that connects with the board. if he's bluffing, god bless us innit. we dont need to make guesses at this point. to get stacked off without the nuts here is bad.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I understand this is format specific, but where in the spot where we have played the hand and lets face it, we beat so many hands here so FOLDING here is wrong IMO. You can still quad and fill up, not to mention still have the best hand and its also very possible it can go check, check on the river. We still have an OK stack and its a chance to garentee a finish.

If were talking format specific then fold pre.
  • edited August 2013
    just fold pre dyms is about survival u doubled up now let the others battle it out 
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks for all the replies all.  On balance, I should've folded pre flop.  Cheers again!
  • edited August 2013
    Tbh Andy you seem to be betwixt two stools here.
      As chip leader you can fold pre with this gap over bottom two players. If you decide to play the hand then you should min raise to 200 pre as otherwise the bb will be involved in the pot too. If he does as well as the other proceed cautiously. The min raise may win you the pot outright pre. The flop couldn't be better for you. You have your set with no flush draw and no likely straight. You need to bet strong to his bet in order to make him consider that he is currently 2nd. You need to shove here and will be faced by Ax as a limp initially suggests sc's. it is a poor play to limp in dym's as you are losing a chance to win the pot.

The aim is caution but to let your opponent know when you are NOT folding. Csi is paramount in dym's and should even hold sway in what hands you play. 

Here the best play considering your csi relative to the others was to fold initially IMO as with 2/1 chip advantage over two opponents on the bubble means that you will ease into the money probably 85% of the time without playing another hand.

Discipline is needed in these games plus  a keen eye over your frequent opponents. I used to play quite a few of these and had  5-9% roi which is pretty good until I lost a bit of discipline. Do note that it is completely different principle wise to mtt or cash play. All the best.