You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

call or fold?

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

Basically love the flop as this pot should be easily built with it being so wet, turn comes and short stack goes in. Here is the question, in my mind I am folding here unless the other player flats then I call is this correct?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
rancid Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £25.08
eportlad91 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £28.14
  Your hole cards

Batkin88 Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £44.97
Th1nkerman Fold     
What_if Fold     
adougal10 Call  £0.60 £1.50 £7.43
rancid Call  £0.50 £2.00 £24.58
eportlad91 Call  £0.40 £2.40 £27.74
Flop

• Q

rancid Check     
eportlad91 Bet  £1.80 £4.20 £25.94
Batkin88 Call  £1.80 £6.00 £43.17
adougal10 Call  £1.80 £7.80 £5.63
rancid Fold     
Turn

eportlad91 Check     
Batkin88 Check     
adougal10 All-in  £5.63 £13.43 £0.00
eportlad91 If he calls I call
if he folds I fold 

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Flop really isn't that great for us.

Obv when someone donks into us we can be certain we HAVE to hit a heart to win (and we don't know if a heart will always give us the best hand).

I think if eportlad check/calls the turn after donking the flop then I'm more inclined to fold cos I'm more inclined to think he has a FD so we're probably drawing dead (or very close).

Can't really call if eportlad folds, and don't think we can really justify calling if he calls.

You should probably show his action tho cos you know this before you have to make your decision and for all we know he's gonna check/raise the turn.

I really don't like taking this passive line and then just check/folding a blank river which is really all we can do.

I'd fold turn, potentially fold flop.
  • edited August 2013
  • edited August 2013
    I'm definitely folding the turn, might consider folding the flop.
  • edited August 2013
    I think on the flop calling is a mistake. We are the preflop aggressor and weve hit a the kind of flop we were hoping for so why not comtinue and reraise here? It gives us a better chance to win the pot without hitting our hand and we can easily have AQ, KJ and 2 pr combos here to rep and if our flush gets here its disguised.

As for your original question, if the other guy calls I still think its a fold, the way its played your basically guessing a wide range of what they have and you could be easily drawing dead already. The only way this changes is if we have the nut draw then yes we can call if the other guy calls.
  • edited August 2013
    If I re-raise that flop I can easily get put in by loads of hands which I would then have to fold.

Also bearing in mind eportlad made up in the BB and then donked out on this flop I took him straight off any flush draw here. Also with the check on the turn I was pretty confident he held a queen at this point.

Edit: I have no idea what he had either so this is just my thought process
  • edited August 2013
    Given just his pre and flop action, I'd imagine the most common hands you're gonna see him turn up with are FDs, sets, 2prs and maybe pr + draw like QJ. FDs have us pretty much dead, sets kill a bunch of our outs, and 2pr we don't have too many dirty outs but we're still calling off the turn with a 1in5 shot of hitting and hoping that he will stack off on 100% of hearts.

I can only see him deciding to check/call the turn with the FD part of his range so think we're in trouble.

How come you have no idea what he had? He's just called an all-in so you would have seen his cards. I mean after the event obv lol
  • edited August 2013
    He folded the river so won't show on history.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: call or fold?:
    He folded the river so won't show on history.
    Posted by Batkin88
    Oh of course, sorry, was thinking he called and you folded so he'd have had to have shown. Ignore me
  • edited August 2013
    No he called river came a non pairing heart I bet he folded. But going from that yeah I can see that as I couldn't get him to commit his stack the play was too risky and not profitable long term.

Cheers for input
  • edited August 2013
    well i`ve played that opponent a few times so kinda got a good idea how he plays I know he ain`t folding on flop if you raise his donk lead been there done that got the t-shirt so just flatting is prob best also you have another 2 players to act behind you.so yeah call is best.

like lambert said he could defo have like a fd/aq/kq/qj/2prs/sets on the flop but when he checks the turn with 2 players still in the hand think we can eliminate 2prs/sets because most ppl would continue with these hands on turn especially with the wet board and with 2 opponents still in the hand.So ignoring what happened on river I be narrowing his hands on the turn down to a fd and 1pr with str8 draw  hand and don`t think almost never he has worst fd than you.

so think prob folding turn is best long term because  if you call and heart comes even a non pairing heart your still not confident in the hand and don`t want a very difficult decision for most or pretty much all my chips on river.