You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is it me or am I just unlucky.

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
I was playing in the Double Stack Semi Sat this afternoon and I was playing just about perfect poker.
I was raising where necessary, calling when needing to and even folding at the correct time.

We were down to the final 3 with 2 to qualify for the semi-final, one short stack and 2 large stacks with me being chip leader by about 100 chips and then this happened in three consecutive hands. Sorry I can't get the hands to come up in hand history.

All in by small stack with A J suited. I called with A K suited hoping the other player might be priced in to call which he declined. The small stack hit a flush on the river.

The next hand I had 9 9 and went all in only to be called by the small stack with A J. He hit the J on the river to beat me again.

The last hand I had 5 5 and having only 2100 chips left I went all in again only to be called by the big stack with A Q who hit the Q on the river.

I don't mind getting beaten in a race but I got rivered three hands on the trot. The poker gods obviously have something against me at the moment. It wasn't as if I had given anyone a bad beat during the game. I got my chips in good every time and it was only the last three hands that beat me.

What can I do to turn my game around? I didn't do anything wrong throughout the whole game but still got beaten.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Hi Apollo,

As you know I know how it feels. Won't give advice because at end of the day you did everything right, ie you were ahead on every hand. I suppose you could have sat on your hands and watched them go.

All that can be said is GET LUCKY.

Some people have it and we don't at mo
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Is it me or am I just unlucky.:
    I was playing in the Double Stack Semi Sat this afternoon and I was playing just about perfect poker. I was raising where necessary, calling when needing to and even folding at the correct time. We were down to the final 3 with 2 to qualify for the semi-final, one short stack and 2 large stacks with me being chip leader by about 100 chips and then this happened in three consecutive hands. Sorry I can't get the hands to come up in hand history. All in by small stack with A J suited. I called with A K suited hoping the other player might be priced in to call which he declined. The small stack hit a flush on the river. The next hand I had 9 9 and went all in only to be called by the small stack with A J. He hit the J on the river to beat me again. The last hand I had 5 5 and having only 2100 chips left I went all in again only to be called by the big stack with A Q who hit the Q on the river. I don't mind getting beaten in a race but I got rivered three hands on the trot. The poker gods obviously have something against me at the moment. It wasn't as if I had given anyone a bad beat during the game. I got my chips in good every time and it was only the last three hands that beat me. What can I do to turn my game around? I didn't do anything wrong throughout the whole game but still got beaten.
    Posted by apollo_11
    Sick varience m8.  You did nothing wrong and it was just ur time to get bitten by the poker gods.

Just vvul
  • edited December 2009

Don't do anything different apollo, it's just variance doing it's thing.

Oh, & forget about being "rivered". It makes no difference whether the bink comes on the Flop, Turn, or River, if the money is in, it makes no difference.

It's no more or less unlucky if the binker flops or Rivers.

Keep your chin up, move on. It's a cruel & unfair game sometimes. And other times, it's kind, & we get very lucky.
  • edited December 2009

Are u sure u were playing 'just about perfect' poker?
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks Father.
    I would normally sit on my hands, as you put it, but with the hands I hand I had to make the plays I did.
    I am sure my luck will change eventually. The sooner the better.
    My BR is not as healthy as it should be but still not a problem.
  • edited December 2009
    Yes Dohhhhhhhh.
    I was playing just about perfect poker.
    I even folded pocket Q's when the cards fell wrong and two players bet big on a straitening and flushing board.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Apollo. I too know exactly how you feel , On the whole I think I play a solid game but have to admit to becoming weary of constantly playing against people who seem to be like cats with nine lives. For some it seems they have that little extra luck factor which sadly I seem to lack, I obviously like yourself am well aware of varience but don't know personally how long my bankroll can withstand it until the poker gods decide to smile on me! Btw I know its cold comfort but having played against you imo you are a good player and hope your luck takes a turn for the better a.s.a.p
  • edited December 2009
    SO YOU GOT DONE MY GOOD FRIEND BY RIVER,RIVER ,RIVER AND YOUR SUPRISED? ONLY A JEST MATE THAT IS SICK AND BEING A VERY GOOD BUDDY OF MINE YOU KNOW THAT I REALLY DO FEEL FOR YOU.HOPE YOUR LUCK CHANGES FOR THE BETTER,ALL THE BEST.dav
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks to all who replied to this thread.
    I know that the variances do come back to bite you.
    I will continue to play my normal game and I am sure that they will start to fall in my favour.
  • edited December 2009
    Apollo was that the game i played?I admit i went tilty after being in a strong position early doors, ihad no end of connetion problems and onone occasion got reconnected to see myself folding kings to an allin raise!!!
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Is it me or am I just unlucky.:
    Apollo was that the game i played?I admit i went tilty after being in a strong position early doors, ihad no end of connetion problems and onone occasion got reconnected to see myself folding kings to an allin raise!!!
    Posted by Any2Suited
    oh you tilty tilty person you lol i did exactly the same in the posters freeroll after all the probs that went on.you know what sometimes tilting can work in your favour.(but not often)lol dav
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Is it me or am I just unlucky.:
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Yes. this was the game you played. If I remember correctly you finally went all in with A 3 after my raise and I beat you with A J suited. You played a very good game.
    I am sorry to hear you had connection problems. I know exactly how you feel after the posters free roll on Wednesday.
  • edited December 2009
    Just to let everyone knoe that I think my bad run maybe behind me at last.
    I finally managed to cash in a DYM sin 'n go and then went on to cash in the super6 free roll, which is a good result for me. I have managed to cash in my last 6 games altogether, adding 10% to my BR.
  • edited December 2009
    Thats good to hear Apollo. N1