You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what is best against these villians

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic

during my sessions in the last few days I have been getting a lot more aggression put to me from villians who are just total maniacs. the problem I have with them is hand such as AK which flop Q high or if I have a hand which flops a draw.
here are two hands which will help explain
wiith this one it would normally be easy to put them on three 10s I have seem it a lot and both these hands were from the same table the where I already suffered once so I knew they were now acting like sharks or maniacs quite a lot

Jim3636 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.22
xBig blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.52
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

mandee Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.47
clubhammer Fold     
craigcu12 Raise  £0.12 £0.22 £4.31
Jim3636 Fold     
xCall  £0.08 £0.30 £2.44
mandee Call  £0.08 £0.38 £2.39
Flop

xCheck     
mandee Check     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.19 £0.57 £4.12
xRaise  £0.95 £1.52 £1.49
mandee Fold
with the hand below the villain was certainly a very aggression one he already got me once when i shoved his reraise which he called and managed to win with A9o. with hands like KQ which have missed is it best to just check. as for AK what would be the best way to treat that if it missed especially if i am OOP
mandee Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.33
clubhammer Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £9.69
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • Q

craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £3.80
jashattack Fold     
xCall  £0.20 £0.46 £2.56
yFold     
xFold     
clubhammer Fold     
Flop

craigcu12 Bet  £0.23 £0.69 £3.57
xAll-in  £2.56 £3.25 £0.00

Comments

• edited August 2013
    tighten up a little
    reduce bet sizing a little
    i.e reduce the amount you are losing while not hitting

and get ready to pounce when you hit well enough

and if you are still not happy with your win/lose amounts then change tables

PS this is not NL4 specific advice but should help in this situation
  • ybyb
    edited August 2013
    hand1 i'd make my raise pre and cbet size bigger, 3bet shove now imo

hand2 i'd just c/f flop tbh, easy fold as played
  • edited August 2013

Hand 1 id bet 12p pre and check call the flop, let him control the betting and when you hit your flush crush his trip 10's

Hand 2 id bet 12p pre and depending on my oppo either check or C bet half the pot which would be 15p, if he raised id fold

IMO playing at 2/4p there is not point betting pre flop more that 12p because they call whatever you bet so most of the time you just end up building the pot for somebody else. Id only re raise too with a decent made hands JJ QQ KK AA leave your AK/AQ to when your playing proper poker against people who will fold J10 to a 10x raise pre flop lol

I use to only play premium hands and bet BIG!!! Id get AK bet big, miss the flop and C bet, basically get called down to the river playing like ive got AA and be called down by bottom pair haha  
    Now i play more hands for cheap, make the nuts and crush them!

Its not the ideal way to play but you have to remember it 2/4p its not an ideal game

• edited August 2013

both the villians hand range were so much wider so with hand one their wasa good chance he could have been just attempting to steal the pot.
    if I know that a villain is a maniac should I just limp in with my KQ knowing that he could easily reraise with rubbish or is even KQs just too much of a risk.

• edited August 2013
    Hand 1 just jam after the raise

Hand 2, just fold, we've totally missed, not a lot else we can do
  • edited August 2013

You could potentially be drawing extremely thin in hand 1 so I think you can fold that flop, hand 2 just fold.

To cater maniacs is fun and nice for your bankroll, I wouldn't recommend tightening up too much but just playing position strong.

• edited August 2013
    In my experiance at this level when you get a super aggro player you know is going to raise most times pre then I think we can limp/call most hands. This has two aspects. 1/ We can normally get in cheaper and 2/ he will most probably just barrell every street either with total air or a pr/draw. Use your seperior skills to judge what it is (watch bet sizing - often the bigger the bet the weaker the hand) and play accordingly. Above all, be patient. Yes you could be folding the best hand a lot of the time but this will be in small pots and when we win it will be in big pots. This can also have the added benefit that that player will then get super aggro and we can pick him off again.