You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK is it really any good?

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
just asking as I seem to get it quite a lot but hardly seem to hit with it I know you have no right to hit with anything so is it really that good or just a hand to get you bet ?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to AK is it really any good?:
    just asking as I seem to get it quite a lot but hardly seem to hit with it I know you have no right to hit with anything so is it really that good or just a hand to get you bet ?
    Posted by screwy27
    wtf
  • edited August 2013
    It is only Ace high but more than happy to get it in with 20 bigs or less, the amount of times i have exited tournaments playing AK is ridiculous 
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: AK is it really any good?:
    It is only Ace high but more than happy to get it in with 20 bigs or less, the amount of times i have exited tournaments playing AK is ridiculous 
    Posted by simonlufc
    yeah I go all in if im fighting for my life or raise 4x if not but always end up with a 359 flop or worse and just know some ones hit that and just wasted your chips and next flop comes ak9 guts ya
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to AK is it really any good? : wtf
    Posted by Smitalos
    seem to get when I go tight
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: AK is it really any good? : seem to get when I go tight
    Posted by screwy27
    its only any good if it wins lol
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: AK is it really any good? : its only any good if it wins lol
    Posted by ALANSK100
    yeah which isn't often lol
  • edited August 2013

Statistics show* that in cash games, of all the possible combinations of cards that could come on the flop, more money goes in on 'K32' than any other board.   

Lookout for those sets!

*Donalds spreadsheet may not be 100% reliable.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: AK is it really any good? : yeah I go all in if im fighting for my life or raise 4x if not but always end up with a 359 flop or worse and just know some ones hit that and just wasted your chips and next flop comes ak9 guts ya
    Posted by screwy27
    You're not going to flop a pair around 2/3 of the time.

This is only one google search away.

You seem to have a mind that's been corrupted by confirmation-bias. Rationalising losses in an extremely IRrational way. Posting threads about how the RNG is rigged, or at the very least "skewed" slightly in a way that means you lose more often than you should. I've probably played more hands this year than you have in your entire lifetime, and the idea that the RNG is in any way bias, is categorically untrue. (not a brag, just stating that a higher sample size, means higher reliability)

Go back to square 1, and re-learn the game. Start with a fresh take on poker, and work on your fundamentals. Question your OWN actions every time you lose, and work out ways to improve with every session you play.

Good luck.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to AK is it really any good?:
    just asking as I seem to get it quite a lot but hardly seem to hit with it I know you have no right to hit with anything so is it really that good or just a hand to get you beat ?
    Posted by screwy27
    I think you're the same person that started the 'why do I always lose with AA' thread not so long ago. Are there any hands you are happy playing?  I'm not sure you have the right mindset for this game.

PS - if you've got to hit with AK then you're already behind.. and also be careful going crazy pre-flop when deep because some players will only 4 or 5-bet KK+ which obviously has AK crushed.

Review your game, ask yourself if you could have done anything differently, if not it's only variance and will even out over time (although as suggested you might suffer from selective memory).
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to AK is it really any good? : I think you're the same person that started the 'why do I always lose with AA' thread not so long ago. Are there any hands you are happy playing?  I'm not sure you have the right mindset for this game. PS - if you've got to hit with AK then you're already behind.. and also be careful going crazy pre-flop when deep because some players will only 4 or 5-bet KK+ which obviously has AK crushed. Review your game, ask yourself if you could have done anything differently, if not it's only variance and will even out over time (although as suggested you might suffer from selective memory).
    Posted by bbMike
    I know I'm going to come across as a MASSIVE brown-noser...
    (Which is funny, because I sure do like to balance my range with lots of forum haters... (poker puns doin' anything for ya?))

...but I love your posts Mike. Full of logical PoVs and snappy reasoned arguments. Great stuff as always, keep up the stellar work sir.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: AK is it really any good? : I know I'm going to come across as a MASSIVE brown-noser... (Which is funny, because I sure do like to balance my range with lots of forum haters... (poker puns doin' anything for ya?)) ...but I love your posts Mike. Full of logical PoVs and snappy reasoned arguments. Great stuff as always, keep up the stellar work sir.
    Posted by Smitalos
    +1

and he will even count 100 AK hands to check the results are as expected if need be

• edited August 2013
    Ok a few simple facts about AK. Read into them anything you want.

These are all the relevant odds preflop for AK

AK vs Ax    70/30
      AK vs underpair   50/50
      Ak vs KK   30/70
      AK vs AA   10/90
      AK vs 2 unders eg 72o    66/34.

All figures are not 100% accurate but close enough.
     AK is a very good hand and i would not suggest not playing it but it is limited and its limitations need to be known. As you can see it can not be more than 70/30 fave preflop in any hand. Now this is of course still good but not as goos as a lot of people think it should be.
  • edited August 2013
    Ok a few simple facts about AK. Read into them anything you want.   These are all the relevant odds preflop for AK   AK vs Ax    70/30   AK vs underpair   50/50   Ak vs KK   30/70   AK vs AA   10/90   AK vs 2 unders eg 72o    66/34.   All figures are not 100% accurate but close enough.  AK is a very good hand and i would not suggest not playing it but it is limited and its limitations need to be known. As you can see it can not be more than 70/30 fave preflop in any hand. Now this is of course still good but not as goos as a lot of people think it should be.
    Posted by Talon
    thank you talon that's intresting
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: AK is it really any good? : You're not going to flop a pair around 2/3 of the time. This is only one google search away. You seem to have a mind that's been corrupted by confirmation-bias. Rationalising losses in an extremely IRrational way. Posting threads about how the RNG is rigged, or at the very least "skewed" slightly in a way that means you lose more often than you should. I've probably played more hands this year than you have in your entire lifetime, and the idea that the RNG is in any way bias, is categorically untrue. (not a brag, just stating that a higher sample size, means higher reliability) Go back to square 1, and re-learn the game. Start with a fresh take on poker, and work on your fundamentals. Question your OWN actions every time you lose, and work out ways to improve with every session you play. Good luck.
    Posted by Smitalos
    were do I say rigged? corrupt? just said its not the bknees
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: AK is it really any good? : +1 and he will even count 100 AK hands to check the results are as expected if need be
    Posted by GELDY
    not a bad idea geldy lol