You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Different tournament levels - playing style

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat

Hi

Further to our thread about play at different cash levels - here

Are there similiar patterns in tournaments?

For example, do the mini and main play differently?

Are there certain spots where you make a play in one of these events that would perhaps be different if it were the main or mini? Is that because of the different cash involved or the style / ability of players?

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Different tournament levels - playing style:
    Hi Further to our thread about play at different cash levels - here Are there similiar patterns in tournaments? For example, do the mini and main play differently? Are there certain spots where you make a play in one of these events that would perhaps be different if it were the main or mini? Is that because of the different cash involved or the style / ability of players? Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Sometimes you get a tougher mini table than a main table. I remember one mini final table (thin brag) a few months back which was full of tough players and I finished 2nd to Macmonster!

I wouldnt say that there is much difference between the standard of the main and mini overall. It depends what night of the week it is sometimes. The fields on Thursday can be particularly full with recreational players who just want to punt their chips.

As with anything, it depends on your individual table and the players around you whether you can make certain plays. For example isolating limpers or just folding pre, or sometimes raising nearly every hand on passive tables. It's about your opponants and seat positions/relative stacks rather than the overall buyin imo on Sky.

I do find though at the very low stakes the standard is overall worse, e.g the 2.30 Bounty hunters, which can be carnage!

• edited August 2013

I think they only play differently when you are against players late on, the bubble is a far bigger thing in the main (especially those who sat in) so you can bully and chip up here far better than in the mini. I agree with the above however when you play £5 or lower outside of the main events the standards massively drop.

I think as with cash Saturday and sunday tournaments are easier as you get the less experienced players on, also the midnight £11 on Thursdays is great value for this.

• edited August 2013

It depends on what type of MTT you are playing. Freeze-out, Re-buy or BH all play differently and I play slightly different styles in all 3. For example I was playing a rebuy yesterday and there were 8 re-buys in the first 30 mins on our table alone! The effect of this was massive inequalities in chip stacks and very low blinds. BH i'm a little looser and freeze-outs I play tight.
    Can't tell you about the bigger buy ins as I'm a low stakes player.