You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

If you enjoy betting on Football.........

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat

.....then a quick note to say that on Thursday's (tomorrow) Show, there will be a 2 hour segment where we preview the upcoming season, including the EPL, but especially the Sky Bet Championship, Sky Bet League 1, & Sky Bet League 2, with emphasis on value betting opportunities.

One of the Studio Guests will be sports geek SPT Rich (aka Rich Prew, aka Tighty), who probably knows more about football than anyone I know. 

He even went on Mastermind & answered questions about "Football Stadiums designed by Archibald Leitch, 1933 - 1952". THAT is proper geeky stuff.

The football segment will be between 8pm & 10pm. 

If you like football, tune in, if you don't, Big brother & Eastenders it is.

There will be the usual Show thread, so if you have some football questions for Tighty, send them in to the usual address, (SkyOpen@bskyb.com ) or on the Show thread, which will appear in due course. I expect we will give away a few free bets &/or prizes.

Less happily, the Presenter will be Richard Orford. 

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Looking forward to this Tikay should be good....

Question for Tighty if i may?

How does he evaluate the effect of financial fair play on skybet league clubs when analysing his pre season bets? 

Personally i usually get involved a fair bet pre season but have not as much this time around due to doubts as to exactly how the squads will look by the end of the transfer window..

I have had one bet which is Port Vale on the handicap. They have a settled albeit small squad and seem to play for there manager who knows the lower leagues inside out, i dont expect to many fireworks but they are still being given a fair start.

Have a good show
  • edited August 2013
    just realised this is not the show thread......

oops
  • edited August 2013

Thanks bugaloo.

There will be a Show Thread for these questions, but I'll pass this on to Tighty, & I'll bet a pound to a pinch of whatsit that he won't be able to resist answering it here, today!

Interestingly (arguably....) the question you raise about FFP on Championship Clubs is something he has a strong theory on.

He is currently testing that theory, & based upon it, yesterday he put up 4 Teams to win their League Cup first round matches - three last night, & one tonight.

The three last night all won, & there remains one game tonight. Lots of people follow his football betting advice (he really is a genius at football) & we all lumped on Super 15's, Yankees & the like, so we have a great sweat tonight, with the first three selections already home & hosed!

The prices were not huge, but it'd be a tidy return come what may....

10/11

10/11

20/21

11/10

Anyway, I'll make him aware of your question.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: If you enjoy betting on Football.........:
    just realised this is not the show thread...... oops
    Posted by bugaloo
    Not a prob, see my reply.
  • edited August 2013
    thanks tikay

must admit had not thought about the effect that will have on the league cup

clever bloke is tighty

have a good show
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks bugaloo. There will be a Show Thread for these questions, but I'll pass this on to Tighty, & I'll bet a pound to a pinch of whatsit that he won't be able to resist answering it here, today! Interestingly (arguably....) the question you raise about FFP on Championship Clubs is something he has a strong theory on. He is currently testing that theory, & based upon it, yesterday he put up 4 Teams to win their League Cup first round matches - three last night, & one tonight.   The three last night all won, & there remains one game tonight. Lots of people follow his football betting advice (he really is a genius at football) & we all lumped on Super 15's, Yankees & the like, so we have a great sweat tonight, with the first three selections already home & hosed!   The prices were not huge, but it'd be a tidy return come what may.... 10/11 10/11 20/21 11/10 Anyway, I'll make him aware of your question.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Where does he post this info?

Last season I concentrated on betting on the under/over goals markets with a good deal of success.

I make five selections and have 5 x four folds + accumulator. I try and restrict my stake to about 15 buy ins - £150 in account = £10 , £300 - £20 and so on.

Perming the bet this way allows one selection to go down and still make a profit - all five in usually returns at least 10 x stake.
  • edited August 2013
    thanks tikay must admit had not thought about the effect that will have on the league cup clever bloke is tighty have a good show
    Posted by bugaloo
    Well it might not, but he has a theory that it will. Time will tell.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: If you enjoy betting on Football......... : Where does he post this info? Last season I concentrated on betting on the under/over goals markets with a good deal of success. I make five selections and have 4 x four folds + accumulator. I try and restrict my stake to about 15 buy ins - £150 in account = £15 , £300 - £20 and so on. Perming the bet this way allows one selection to go down and still make a profit - all five in usually returns at least 10 x stake.
    Posted by Lightwood
    Hi Lighty,

Well I can't really link it, as it is another Forum, but we just have some fun, & we do so profitably.

I'll ask him if he would perhaps post a few of his recommendations here, maybe in the Football board. Actually, he is a profitable better (all proofed in advance) on Football, Cricket, Rugby Union, & NFL amongst others.

Hope your Unders/Overs continue to be profitable. You may not be aware, but Joe Beevers - he of The Hendon Mob - is very big on Over/Under 2.5, & runs a sort of Tipping Line based solely upon it.  
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: If you enjoy betting on Football......... : Hi Lighty, Well I can't really link it, as it is another Forum, but we just have some fun, & we do so profitably. I'll ask him if he would perhaps post a few of his recommendations here, maybe in the Football board. Actually, he is a profitable better (all proofed in advance) on Football, Cricket, Rugby Union, & NFL amongst others.   Hope your Unders/Overs continue to be profitable. You may not be aware, but Joe Beevers - he of The Hendon Mob - is very big on Over/Under 2.5, & runs a sort of Tipping Line based solely upon it.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay,

Same here - I bet for fun with my brother and we usually make a profit.

Another interesting one for you.

One of my friends puts an accumulator on both teams to score in all of the fixtures for each division. He only stakes 50p, so it's costs £2 per week to do. And usually at least once a season he gets a line up. The odds for the accumulator are normally />1000 to 1 so it's a nice return if you can be bothered with the rigmarole of putting the bet on.
  • SPTSPT
    edited August 2013
    Looking forward to this Tikay should be good.... Question for Tighty if i may? How does he evaluate the effect of financial fair play on skybet league clubs when analysing his pre season bets?  Personally i usually get involved a fair bet pre season but have not as much this time around due to doubts as to exactly how the squads will look by the end of the transfer window.. I have had one bet which is Port Vale on the handicap. They have a settled albeit small squad and seem to play for there manager who knows the lower leagues inside out, i dont expect to many fireworks but they are still being given a fair start. Have a good show
    Posted by bugaloo
    Hello I am definitely taking FFP into account. Think it is going to be a big leveller in the division between those affected and those less so, in what is already a difficult division for punters

In theory premiership parachute payments, which can help those clubs hit the FFP guidelines, are a big competitive help to recently relegated sides too

FWIW, and I have written about it elsewhere but won't link, I like Port Vale on handicaps/spreads in L1 too.

Rastafish on Sky Poker cash game fame keeps me in touch, as his son Gavin plays up front for them and he put me on to them having a good seson 4-5 weeks ago
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: If you enjoy betting on Football......... : Hello I am definitely taking FFP into account. Think it is going to be a big leveller in the division between those affected and those less so, in what is already a difficult division for punters In theory premiership parachute payments, which can help those clubs hit the FFP guidelines, are a big competitive help to recently relegated sides too FWIW, and I have written about it elsewhere but won't link, I like Port Vale on handicaps/spreads in L1 too. Rastafish on Sky Poker cash game fame keeps me in touch, as his son Gavin plays up front for them and he put me on to them having a good seson 4-5 weeks ago
    Posted by SPT[/QUOTE

Do I need to report this post? :)

It's bad enough having a brother in law who's a Vale fan:D
  • edited August 2013

Tikay - slapped wrists. It is not and never has been, "The EPL". Please stop using this horrible made up American acronym.

• edited August 2013
    Tikay - slapped wrists. It is not and never has been, "The EPL". Please stop using this horrible made up American acronym.
    Posted by FCHD
    Slapped wrist accepted, but there was a reason, albeit an illogical one......

You will understand that anyone who works for this Business will - must!- always prefix the Championship, League One & League Two with "SKY BET".  ;)

And I sort of wanted to avoid prefixing the Premier League similarly, with "Barclays", so I thought if I wrote "EPL" - probably the first time in my life I have ever used that abbreviation - I might just get it through without anyone noticing.

Proper FAIL, that.

• edited August 2013

I italicised "abbreviated" in the previous post for a reason.

Here's a really geeky thing for you, which a learned friend told me only a day ago. Can't believe I'm still learning stuff like this at my age! 

An acronym can be pronounced as a word. "NATO", BOGOF" etc.

So EPL is not an acronym, but an abbreviation.

Can we call that 1-1?
  • edited August 2013

Sorry, but your friend is wrong. I've heard that a couple of times too but it is a fallacy,

An acronym is an abbreivation formed of initial letters of words, whether they are pronouced as one word such as your examples above, or pronouced one letter at a time such as BBC, DVD etc, (see my favourite online dictionary http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acronym)

• edited August 2013
    Sorry, but your friend is wrong. I've heard that a couple of times too but it is a fallacy, An acronym is an abbreivation formed of initial letters of words, whether they are pronouced as one word such as your examples above, or pronouced one letter at a time such as BBC, DVD etc, (see my favourite online dictionary http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acronym )
    Posted by FCHD
    Well he MAY be wrong, but that'd be most unusual for him, as he is a most learned individual, especially as to the use of language.

Really though, like all language matters, there is no actual right or wrong, it is interpretation.

For what it is worth, Wikipidea (my favourite, though not always accurate, point of reference) go with his version, whilst acknowledging that the usage is not universal. This is their take......

The term acronym is the name for a word from the first letters of each word in a series of words (such as sonar, created from SOund Navigation And Ranging).Attestations for "Akronym" in German are known from 1921, and for "acronym" in English from 1940.

Whilst an abbreviation is the shortened form of any initial, syllable or parts of a phrase or words, an initialism (or less commonly, alphabetism) refers to an abbreviation formed from, and used simply as, a string of initials. Although the term acronym is widely used to refer to any abbreviation formed from initial letters, some dictionaries define acronym to mean "a word" in its original sense, while some others include additional senses attributing to acronym the same meaning as that of initialism.The distinction, when made, hinges on whether the abbreviation is pronounced as a word, or as a string of letters. In such cases, examples found in dictionaries include NATO /ˈnt/, scuba /ˈskbə/, and radar /ˈrdɑr/ for acronyms, and FBI /ˌɛfˌbˈ/ and HTML /ˌˌtˌɛmˈɛl/ for initialisms.In the rest of this article, this distinction is not made.

So, take your pick, now we have.....

Acronym

Abbreviatiion

Initialism

Acronym

Good, 'innit?

• edited August 2013
    Woah! Slight thread derailment there... Oh no did I mention railways? Sigh

I'm out on Thursday so i can't watch live so good luck for the show. I know I would appreciate it, and many others as well if Rich could post his tips on the "Fancy a bet" section on here. :-)
  • edited August 2013
    Woah! Slight thread derailment there... Oh no did I mention railways? Sigh I'm out on Thursday so i can't watch live so good luck for the show. I know I would appreciate it, and many others as well if Rich could post his tips on the "Fancy a bet" section on here. :-)
    Posted by FlashFlush

+ 1
  • edited August 2013
    Sounds like a canny show, looking forward to it.
  • SPTSPT
    edited August 2013
    I'll post some thoughts after the show if you like

They tend not to be short-priced favourites, more "value" bets at a price

Bettors beware!
  • edited August 2013
    I also try most weeks to have a free stab at the Sky Super 6. Just a thought, could this somehow be linked through this site where all sky poker members who play the Super 6 are then linked in a separate league rather than the national one?
  • edited August 2013
    I also try most weeks to have a free stab at the Sky Super 6. Just a thought, could this somehow be linked through this site where all sky poker members who play the Super 6 are then linked in a separate league rather than the national one?
    Posted by Lightwood

Hi mate....have a look in 'The PUNTERS Corner' on here. There has already been a Sky Poker players League set up.
  • edited August 2013
    I'll post some thoughts after the show if you like They tend not to be short-priced favourites, more "value" bets at a price Bettors beware!
    Posted by SPT
    They are always the best!  No point looking at odds lower than 1.6 IMO - Risk/reward isnt there.  Its all about value!
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: If you enjoy betting on Football......... : Hi mate....have a look in 'The PUNTERS Corner' on here. There has already been a Sky Poker players League set up.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    There you go, the teaser thread for the Show has had a benefit already.

Value betting, FPP, acronyms & abbreviations.

All good.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: If you enjoy betting on Football......... : They are always the best!  No point looking at odds lower than 1.6 IMO - Risk/reward isnt there.  Its all about value!
    Posted by gazza127
    Not sure I agree with that Gazza, though I get where you are coming from.

You can just as likely have bad value @ 25/1, as you can have good value @ 4/6.

The key is the word value.

4/6 about a 1/2 shot is value. 25/1 about a 33/1 shot is not.

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: If you enjoy betting on Football......... : Not sure I agree with that Gazza, though I get where you are coming from. You can just as likely have bad value @ 25/1, as you can have good value @ 4/6. The key is the word value. 4/6 about a 1/2 shot is value. 25/1 about a 33/1 shot is not.  
    Posted by Tikay10

If you read my diary... on the penultimate page you'd see a betting guide i've placed out...

Now I did say lower than 1.6 isnt worth it and agree with you that getting 4/6 instead of 1/2 is better than your other example.  I didn't however say that I tend to ignore singles over 2.6 also... unless I see value - now that value may be relative to other bookies (usually not), but is mainly dependant on how likely the event is going to happen v the odds you are getting.  Statistical heaven.  Get me on the show - im sure I could help out :) (maybe just with the tea)
  • edited August 2013
    MTT machine and a betting beast. 

Think I have a new favourite person.
  • edited August 2013
    MTT machine and a betting beast.  Think I have a new favourite person.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    *looks around*

Tikay?