You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Variance? (mod edit)

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
 played poker all this week in cash games and sit and go and on every day in a all in postion with the best hand on the flop the player with the less chip stack has always come on top and beat my hand yet when others are in the same postion they win the hand or the hand turns out as a split pot ???

is this just down to bad luck ? or like the other sites i have played on is a bent game for example poker stars had a game with five aces on the table then there was fultilt poker who were shut down due to laundering money thought the site.

we all know that you can win and you can lose and have good luck and bad but come on bad luck always the same way ?????

Comments

• edited August 2013

Hi Pau.

It is just variance, as simple as that. It is the same on every Online site on earth, & in Live Poker.

Either play through it, until your luck changes, or take a break.

Poker is a truly amazing game, it can produce the weirdest runs of good & bad results, & it can mess with our head, too.

In your case, you say the SMALL stack ALWAYS wins at showdown. And yet I bet there have been a thousand similar Posts on this Forum down the years complaining that the BIG stack always wins showdowns. It's all in the mind, I promise you. The big stack does NOT always win. The small stack does NOT always win.  

It is just poker. Its how it works, no more or less than that.

We should all doff our hats to what an amazing game poker is. But if you are not enjoying it, take a break.

Hope your luck changes soon.
  • edited August 2013

Ohh, forgot to say - welcome to the Community.

Have a look around, introduce yourself, join in the various community things the guys run. You'll be surprised how much fun poker can be once you come to terms with variance. She is some complicated lady.

• edited August 2013
    I feel like adding one other point: Why would sky, or any other site, favour one player over another? Dont you think they have too much to lose to be fixing cards on small stakes games? Their reputations are worth alot more than that!
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: bent or what?:
    Hi Pau. It is just variance, as simple as that. It is the same on every Online site on earth, & in Live Poker. Either play through it, until your luck changes, or take a break. Poker is a truly amazing game, it can produce the weirdest runs of good & bad results, & it can mess with our head, too. In your case, you say the SMALL stack ALWAYS wins at showdown. And yet I bet there have been a thousand similar Posts on this Forum down the years complaining that the BIG stack always wins showdowns. It's all in the mind, I promise you. The big stack does NOT always win. The small stack does NOT always win.   It is just poker. Its how it works, no more or less than that.   We should all doff our hats to what an amazing game poker is. But if you are not enjoying it, take a break. Hope your luck changes soon.
    Posted by Tikay10

I don't for one second believe the software is rigged in anyway but the continuous posts about it just become tedious!

There is no motive to have rigged software. Software that favours newbies sends the regulars away and software that favours the regulars stops the site from growing. I struggle with variance myself at time, especially last night where beats kept coming and coming :(, but when you look at the odds you can understand how you can go on bad runs i.e.

AK vs A7 - A7 has a 24% chance of winning the hand. So wins 1 in 4 times (same as flipping a coin and getting two tails in a row) I get the impression people think A7 would win only 1 in 10 times.

Tikay could we not put this to bed by just giving people the details on how the software sky uses is tested and audited?
  • edited August 2013
    I feel like adding one other point: Why would sky, or any other site, favour one player over another? Dont you think they have too much to lose to be fixing cards on small stakes games? Their reputations are worth alot more than that!
    Posted by chicknMelt
    and the games are always rigged against them. it bed luck that affects them. they dont get what they are entitled to.

bbv seems to be inhabited by the wallowing, the ego-centric and the enititled.

im not a winning player because im not good enough to beat even the micro stakes yet. but i'm enjoying learning, playing and hopefully will improve. if not, im happy to tip up £20 every other month to pay for a hobby i enjoy.  if i lose to a bad beat, ho hum, i wont feel guilty when i make a shocking call that gets there in the next game innit.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to bent or what?:
     played poker all this week in cash games and sit and go and on every day in a all in postion with the best hand on the flop the player with the less chip stack has always come on top and beat my hand yet when others are in the same postion they win the hand or the hand turns out as a split pot ??? is this just down to bad luck ? or like the other sites i have played on is a bent game for example poker stars had a game with five aces on the table then there was fultilt poker who were shut down due to laundering money thought the site. we all know that you can win and you can lose and have good luck and bad but come on bad luck always the same way ?????
    Posted by pau1958
    Evidence please.
    Print-screen?
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: bent or what? :  im not a winning player because im not good enough to beat even the micro stakes yet. but i'm enjoying learning, playing and hopefully will improve. if not, im happy to tip up £20 every other month to pay for a hobby i enjoy.  if i lose to a bad beat, ho hum, i wont feel guilty when i make a shocking call that gets there in the next game innit. cheers, TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Excellent post.  Well said sir.

• edited August 2013
    perhaps you should stick to the freeplay if you dont like loseing your money as you will find on this site 90 percent of the time you will lose with big sets to complete rags last week was 5 from the money in an MTT  got aces  raised it up to 4.8k in 1.2 blinds i thought thiswas sufficent to the player i wanted a call from  called by chip leader (who had been calling light 90 percent of his hands which he had q 9 off a decent hand for a flat call i spose when you have 85k however what happen on the flop was shocking flop come k q 3 rainbow and he shoved all in for 80k  i was not putting my aces down in that position HU WITH 1 OTHER LOSE  player who called anything yet next card out comes queen bye bye tourny lesson here is there just aces and more often than not your going to lose with them weather your all in or not just enjoy the ride and as  i say if you dont like losing your dough then stick to free play on facebook its much cheaper and just as much fun
  • edited August 2013
    Just look at variance as one day you will be swearing at it and the next you will be thanking it

Its part of poker
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Pau and welcome

Thought about trying some Omaha / Hi Lo.
    So many combinations of hands that you haven't got time to suss out if you suffered a beat at all - just move on to the next hand !
    I did when i was on a bit of a downswing and it changed my thinking completely.

My downswing has improved upwards and im smiling again (unless Tikay is on my PLO8 table) :-)))
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? (mod edit):
    Just look at variance as one day you will be swearing at it and the next you will be thanking it Its part of poker
    Posted by limmy01
    WINNER
  • edited August 2013
    perhaps you should stick to the freeplay if you dont like loseing your money as you will find on this site 90 percent of the time you will lose with big sets to complete rags last week was 5 from the money in an MTT  got aces  raised it up to 4.8k in 1.2 blinds i thought thiswas sufficent to the player i wanted a call from  called by chip leader (who had been calling light 90 percent of his hands which he had q 9 off a decent hand for a flat call i spose when you have 85k however what happen on the flop was shocking flop come k q 3 rainbow and he shoved all in for 80k  i was not putting my aces down in that position HU WITH 1 OTHER LOSE  player who called anything yet next card out comes queen bye bye tourny lesson here is there just aces and more often than not your going to lose with them weather your all in or not just enjoy the ride and as  i say if you dont like losing your dough then stick to free play on facebook its much cheaper and just as much fun
    Posted by ALANSK100
    No, that is not the lesson, that is not the lesson at all.

If you're 5 from the bubble and worried about making the cash, there is a low variance line you can take. Say you min raised (quite acceptable, if not encouraged at those levels), you get a call from the big stack. Flop K Q 3, the pot is now a lot smaller and it may not make sense for the big stack to shove (what you have behind is what's important here, not what he's put in). If you stick around to see the second Q arrive perhaps you don't go broke, perhaps you do. Perhaps the chips still all go in on the flop. You got it in good, and he hit a rough 20% shot, not amazing.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: bent or what? : No, that is not the lesson, that is not the lesson at all. If you're 5 from the bubble and worried about making the cash, there is a low variance line you can take. Say you min raised (quite acceptable, if not encouraged at those levels), you get a call from the big stack. Flop K Q 3, the pot is now a lot smaller and it may not make sense for the big stack to shove (what you have behind is what's important here, not what he's put in). If you stick around to see the second Q arrive perhaps you don't go broke, perhaps you do. Perhaps the chips still all go in on the flop. You got it in good, and he hit a rough 20% shot, not amazing.
    Posted by bbMike
    well this is some sound advice showsjust how little i no and will bare it in mind next time i get there :)