You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Books

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all ive been playing on this site now for over a year and still cant seem to make any money i am very frustrated with the game and have decided to perhaps just give up and read some more books on the game which books would you recomend for a good read ? for a player who loves the game but is being put of by so many downswings

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Poker Books:
    Hi all ive been playing on this site now for over a year and still cant seem to make any money i am very frustrated with the game and have decided to perhaps just give up and read some more books on the game which books would you recomend for a good read ? for a player who loves the game but is being put of by so many downswings
    Posted by ALANSK100

What do you play? Cash, Tourneys or Sit & Gos. Plenty of really good books out there, but you'll find you'll be itching to apply the ideas as soon as you can.

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker Books:
    In Response to Poker Books : What do you play? Cash, Tourneys or Sit & Gos. Plenty of really good books out there, but you'll find you'll be itching to apply the ideas as soon as you can.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    play MTT and SNG  mainly Dave
  • edited August 2013
    Depending on your level (and you have to be quite honest with yourself on these things!), these are worth a look. They're not the 'best' books on poker, but they are some of the most instructive. If you want a good book which isn't quite as instructive, Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen is awesome. Just don't try play like that.

Beginner:

Play Poker Like The Pros - Phil Hellmuth

Intermediate:

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book - Phil Gordon

Advanced:

Harrington on Hold'em series - Dan Harrington (3 of them in total, plus some he wrote on cash games, which are also decent).

I'll probably get some stick for the Hellmuth recommendation, but that book is a pretty good starting point for a solid (and very tight!) MTT style. Phil Gordon's book is very thought provoking (Little Black Book is similar but more basic, Little Blue Book is the follow-on for Little Green). Harrington on Hold'em would be picked apart by some online players but the stuff he discusses about playing the middle game and stack sizes, danger zones etc I still think is some of the best.
  • edited August 2013
    david skylankys theory of poker is a good read
  • edited August 2013
    Depending on your level (and you have to be quite honest with yourself on these things!),

Well im feeling like  a beginer at this  stage but perhaps feeling more mid level im certianly no pro just like to up my game if i can to keep the Br going in the right direction i will invest in atleast the first 2 books you have given me and see how i go

Thanks for the Advice
  • edited August 2013
    The best books for me where: Playing poker tournaments one hand at a time vol 1, 2 and 3. Excellent at explaing the thought processes you need in playing every sort of hand in real world scenarios.
  • edited August 2013
    < snip snip />    If you want a good book which isn't quite as instructive, Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen is awesome. Just don't try play like that.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Have to second that.

Gus' book is a brilliant read. It's an incredibly easy book to read too as it never gets too heavy, and it's really enjoyable. I've read it probably 20+ times!

• edited August 2013
    I started with Doyle Brunsons Super System 1 and 2.

Will give you a good grounding in all aspects of poker.

+1 to all the above comments!
  • edited August 2013
    Thank you to everyone i know there's tons of book's out there so thank you all for your posts
  • edited August 2013
    Harrington is great for how to play good poker - sure things may have evolved but it's great to know what they have evolved from.

Winning Poker Tournaments: One hand at a time is also very good. But I would save that for when you get closer to being a good intermediate and want to test your opinions against the pros.
  • edited August 2013
    Justt set yourself a super tight range,

Only play AA,KK,QQ, only ever check the flop (fold always if you're not BB) and if you don't hit quads on the flop FOLD.
  • edited August 2013
    think i'm going to try these two

Beginner:

Play Poker Like The Pros - Phil Hellmuth

Intermediate:

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book - Phil Gordon
  • edited August 2013
    Justt set yourself a super tight range, Only play AA,KK,QQ, only ever check the flop (fold always if you're not BB) and if you don't hit quads on the flop FOLD.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    lol Think ive only had them twice in a year wont be gettting much play in with quads lol
  • edited August 2013
    imo i think being a self taught player is the best u get all the advice u need on 861  

i have never read a poker book and never will i think they are dated 

can only learn by playing 
  • edited August 2013
    imo i think being a self taught player is the best u get all the advice u need on 861   i have never read a poker book and never will i think they are dated  can only learn by playing 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I have been self tought really m8 picked up what i can and just trying to improve will be some task with so many good players here on Sky which can be good for me  in both ways (paying to improve) or getting free advice from them if i cash  lol hopefully things may even out just gotta go for it sometimes i spose
  • edited August 2013
    trust me m8 ive played on loads of sites this is the softest site i have played on just have to be selective in what games u play 
  • edited August 2013
    trust me m8 ive played on loads of sites this is the softest site i have played on just have to be selective in what games u play 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    yer i here you there m8 roll on pay day!! ill keep trying thats for sure as it can either make or break someone  with a little deposit. think i need to find the right game for my play as you say' not saying i have never made anything playing poker but certianly have lost alot more which to me tells me i need to and want to improve